Couldn't wait to get back into this project after being away.
Thought I would show some of the hidden time that goes into things you don't notice once finished. On the right is the bottom of the B pillar which supports the back wall and the rear of the door opening. I'm going to replace the bottom section of it using part of the frame rail from the donor Grand Cherokee.
Used a T dolly to hammer out one of the folds as only needed a slight one there.
I have strengthened the lower pillar so it can be used for a couple of things as it is the strongest area at the rear of the cab. The gusseted part will become the rear corner body mount. The thick plate is at floor level and the mount will be in the pocket under it.
The difference in the width was blended in. The extra plates with the thread insert were cut from the donor B pillar and are the lower seat belt mounts.
I am recessing the seat belt inertia reals into the B pillar just like it was in the donor Jeep. Makes for a more tidy installation and gives more room next to the front seats.
As it is very close between the B pillar and the corner of the wall, I have added a bit of the floor now with a flange that will get coated in seam sealer to stop any water coming up from underneath. No way to get to it later once installed.
This give you an idea of how tight it is around the lower pillar. The frame rail will pass in the gap there right now and an outrigger will go in under the plate inside the B pillar with a rubber mount to give isolation from road vibration.
I had a bend in the left pillar resulting from the impact it had. Was bigger than it looks here at 5 mm-3/16", but it really shows up as it is at the edge of the door opening where the sheet metal attached. I had already got that perfectly straight and now showed up the pillar as being still bent.
I tried heating the opposite side with a propane torch and then quenching it, but it didn't move. So I ran a weld bead down the opposite side and let is cool and it pulled over nicely. Only one spot went too far so ran a short bead on that side to bring it back. Primitive but effective.
Have coated the back of the pillars with weld through zinc coating, as can never get to this side of it again once installed.