Spent quite a bit of time getting the panel right before zinc coating everything and welding in the A pillar. Next was the bracing for the backside of the cowl.
All welded in but had to do more hammer and dolly work to get it all back to right again. Not from the welding heat so much, but the panel being now ridged on the A pillar and brace.
I had already replaced the lower part of the other side cowl brace and had left this side as was so much better. Now thinking it might not last the next 20 years so might as well replace this side too.
Made a new piece and then cut off the bad section.
Tig welded the old and new together. Getting better at it considering I am still on my first bottle of gas and tungsten. This was done in one pass fusion welded, except a couple of spots where I added some mig filler wire which I always have on the ready as I am going along in case it starts to blow through.
Came up pretty flat after some plashing with a hammer and dolly.
I was double checking all the the B pillars to make sure they were in alignment with the A pillars. I noticed this side curved away from the ruler just near the top.
How ever the other side did not! So which one was right? Checked the curvature of the door and this side was wrong. It is also the side that had been hit. I had ready straighten it in the other direction which needed to be straight, but didn't think to check in this direction to see if it needed to be bent!
I had to free the support brace from the pillar and then I made a cut where it needed to be bent on both sides of the U shaped pillar. Not all the way through to the third face though. Then put a sash clamp and pulled the bend into it. I stopped 0.5mm short compared to the other side, as the welding heat will pull it some more.
After welding the two sides now match perfectly. It pulled that extra 0.5mm.
Fitted the door temporarily to get the right angle of the A pillar. Can see how much longer I have made the cab here too compared to stock. An extra 177mm or 7".
The bottom of these cabs slope inwards so had to makes sure it matched with the B pillar.