Was not sure if to add this to the thread or not but might be the last post for a while as going to tackle floor tiling for the first time after ripping up all the carpet today in the house, apart from the gym.
Picked up this 1920's cast iron seat from a horse drawn cultivator at the Ballarat swap meet.
I had given it a clean with a wire brush and showed no cracks.
Didn't have my citric acid bath setup so thought I would use the old molasses technique of removing rust.
I had actually bought this jar to put on my toast like I used to some times as a kid. Didn't like it at all now so might as well make some use from it.
It was only a 500 gram jar so was not going to get much solution from it as most do a 10 to 1 ratio with water with it. This meant only 5 litres of hot water could be added but was not enough to cover it. I threw in a couple of litres of white vinegar with it but still ended up with about a 20 to 1 ratio with extra water I needed. I even displaced as much as I could by filling any space with bricks.
You can see the reaction that happens with it and this was after about 1 week. At about this time it goes from smelling slightly sweet to unpleasant!
Being a weak solution I thought I would check it after 2 weeks of soaking.
Hit with a high pressure sprayer.
Looks like it is good enough to paint now. I dried it with compressed air and then a blow torch and had to be really quick to coat it with primer to seal it all.
Now to make it into a stool. For a base I pulled another of my old Jeep wheels out from under the house.
After a though scrubbing and wire brushing, I welded a piece of tubing to the base from both sides. The top I reduced for the fitting I had for it.
Bent some plate to suit the base of the seat and welded it onto an old office chair height adjuster.
As the tubing was zinc coated, I hit it all with some etch primer.
Drilled out the centre of the hub cap and made a plate to hold some wheel studs in from behind so I could fit some wheel nuts as well.
Can get enough adjustment to suit what I do with it.
All done and more comfortable than it looks. The top of the wheel make a great foot rest and why I left the wheel complete rather than just using the centre.