It's a bit quiet so hopefully you wont mind a little tool update instead?
At the local swap meet I picked up this stake dolly. It was very rusty but some time spent in the citric acid and some sanding brought it back to life. Used some 5mm-3/16" walled angle iron to make a holder for it.
Followed the taper to match the base of the dolly.
I needed a bell mouth to flare the end to fit the hole centre of the Jeep wheel I am using for the base. It is 5mm-3/16" thick and hammered it cold on my old blacksmith anvil I used to have in the back of my truck from my days as a farrier.
Once flared out it fitted well so welded it in.
The base pipe wasn't long enough so found another short piece to add to it and formed it to fit the tapered holder.
Welded the two pieces of pipe together to finish off the stand so far. Holds it nice and firm.
Seeing stake dollies are expensive to buy, set about making some. Had the head of this old Cyclone mash hammer and needed something with a dome.
Using nothing more than a 9" cutoff wheel, cut the taper into it and trimmed the top. Finished it off with grinding and sanding to get this.
Some more stake dollies made. I cut up a Cobblers dolly that I brought home from Warsaw Poland a couple of years ago as a souvenir. As it is cast steel, I welded the 5mm-3/15" plate tapered boxes on to them in quick succession and stacked them on top of each other to slow the cooling rate
Just got given an Australian cobblers anvil this time that was my wifes great grand fathers. I made a template from sheet metal for one side the the taper boxes to suit the stake dolly stand and cut the 4 sides the same. Can see one ready in the background.
Welded the boxes onto the ends and they fit nicely into the stand. Different profiles and lengths, as include the heel, to the Polish one. You can also buy these already with a tapered end and a stand that bolts to your work bench. I have seen Canadian ones that bolt to the floor also with interchangeable heads.
The Polish ones work really well and have different profiles.
Picked these up at a market while out camping a few weeks ago. Altered the bases so they fit the stand.
The more shapes the better and even used a towbar tongue as the flat top and square one end and curved at the other is handy. So is the hole. The odd shaped one is just something I carved out of some 16mm-5/8" plate with my 9" cutoff grinder. Each corner and concave radius is different.
Being by myself all the time when working it is often hard to be holding something and then have to hold a dolly under it while hitting the other side as well. This will make it easier on me.