Time to start chopping 2" out of the door window frames.
With the rear wall cut lower down than the cut in the window frame, I will have to address the angle so it bends in the same spot. If I should ever do one again, I will line the cuts up from the start.
At the same height as where the rear wall was sectioned, I cut into the window frame. Didn't go all the way through so I would get a smoother bend.
Now the window frame lines up perfectly.
There was a slight taper to the window frame, so rather than cut slots to shrink the wider section, I stretched out the upper narrow section to match by hammering against the T dolly.
Used a offset bolster to move the fold to match and stretch the corners as well.
Lines up well enough now to blend in.
Was able to weld all the way around to get full strength.
Angle matches the rear corner as well.
Now weld it up and then to extend it forward to meet the front of the door. Not only have to add the 4.5" that I made the door longer, but extra due to the chop as well.
Due to the curve in the door, but flat on the inside, I had to pick the best place to cut it through that it would still match up with the new front section without ending up with two widest points!
With the edges being straight, I could slowly trim up the new piece until it all lined up with the rulers. The backside will be checked as well to make sure that stays flat and true.
Fortunately it worked out well that differences in the age of the pressings of the door top worked in my favour and was able to match the 1948 rear section with the 1958 front section with the extra length needed. Nearly there in this shot. Doing it this way saves having an extra join in the top of the frame.
The other side was completed as well. Thought I was finished but noticed below where I had made my join that there was some lead fill there.
Removed the lead and found a bad repair job that only had a few tacks holding it together!
Cut the whole affected area out as had been ground quite thin previously. Also my digital level gauge showed this was tilting at the different angle to the back of the window frame. That would be bad for the glass as would jam up and not run smoothly.
Welded in a new piece and got the angle to match so all 4 window frame sides were exactly the same.
Now with the window frames done I will have something to line the A pillar up against to get even door gaps.
Starting to get a bit of an idea how it all will turn out.