2014 Grand Cherokee Map Update - Page 66 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Audio/Visual/Navigation

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #781  
Old 06-19-2015, 01:04 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Avon, Outer Banks, NC
Posts: 44
Thanks: 17
Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 1241
jcil4ever is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee Map Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
Things must really be screwed up at HERE. According to their website, there is no update available for the '15 JGC.
You're right. The website says there is no update yet for MY 2015, but the box I got with the update says it is compatible with "Grand Cherokee (MY14-15)." I wonder if it is a compatibility issue like they told Ed6527 or if it's because the map data they released would only be a few months newer than what was shipped with the MY15s. Oh, HERE...

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #782  
Old 06-19-2015, 05:59 PM
NetworkTV's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 809
Thanks: 3
Thanked 182 Times in 138 Posts
Rep Power: 6904
NetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond reputeNetworkTV has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee Map Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcil4ever View Post
You're right. The website says there is no update yet for MY 2015, but the box I got with the update says it is compatible with "Grand Cherokee (MY14-15)." I wonder if it is a compatibility issue like they told Ed6527 or if it's because the map data they released would only be a few months newer than what was shipped with the MY15s. Oh, HERE...
I suspect it's the latter.

My 2015 came with software version 14.32.3

My Database says:
2014Q2;20140414

There's no way I'm laying out $150 for something that's only a few months newer.

If the maps were, say, at least Q2 of 2014, I'd consider it, but not for the very slight amount of changes I would get with this update.

Frankly, I'm a bit annoyed I didn't get the 2013 Q4 maps already installed on a 2015. Of course, if they had their act together, it should have been no earlier than a 2014 database in a 2015 vehicle.

I'm definitely waiting to see what happens when things get sorted out at HERE.
__________________
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat

Reply With Quote
  #783  
Old 06-20-2015, 04:50 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 321
Thanks: 113
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 3800
tllapointe has a reputation beyond reputetllapointe has a reputation beyond reputetllapointe has a reputation beyond reputetllapointe has a reputation beyond reputetllapointe has a reputation beyond reputetllapointe has a reputation beyond reputetllapointe has a reputation beyond reputetllapointe has a reputation beyond reputetllapointe has a reputation beyond reputetllapointe has a reputation beyond reputetllapointe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee Map Update

"Garmin" map updates for Jeep

I went to the Garmin website and looked at their menu for PRODUCT - AUTOMOTIVE - IN-DASH". I was surprised to see that they listed Jeep. Further, I was surprised to read their statement "8.4N systems featuring Garmin navigation" They lead you through a system update and then a map update. The map update takes you to the Chrysler/Jeep website.

Tom
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________
Below is a quote from the Garmin website:

"This site will allow you to update your navigation systems firmware and new map data for both the Uconnect® 430N and 8.4N systems featuring Garmin navigation.

You can choose to perform the update yourself or schedule an appointment with your preferred dealer. If you choose to perform the update yourself, you will need to follow the 2-step process outlined below. You can also review/print these instructional guidelines to familiarize yourself with the map download process.
  • If you choose to perform the map update yourself, you will need:
  • An 8GB USB drive
  • Approximately two (2) hours to complete the steps outlined below.


1. Does Your Uconnect System Need a Firmware Update?


A firmware update may be required before you can upgrade the map on your vehicle's Uconnect system. Click on the "Firmware Updates" button below to determine if you need new firmware and to find the step-by-step instructions you will need to perform to complete the update.
Firmware Updates



2. Order a Map Update


Click on the "Order Map Updates" button below to order map updates for your Uconnect system.(This will redirect you to an external site).
Order Map Updates



2. Activate the Map Update


Activate your DVD or SD card map update and get the unlock code
Activate "
__________________
2014 V6 Overland 4x4, Max Steel/Black interior with Adv Tech Group & Off-Road Adventure II
Reply With Quote
  #784  
Old 06-21-2015, 09:01 AM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,354
Thanks: 255
Thanked 556 Times in 430 Posts
Rep Power: 30285
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee Map Update

After doing some extensive driving the past few weeks I have come to the final conclusion that the Navigation system in this jeep is garbage. Yes the map update did fix most of the issues concerning new roads. The problem that continues is the routing and logic of the system which has always been off. even with avoidance turned off and trying various other settings the nav still wants to run you out of your way down out of the way streets for no apparent reason. I have tried various settings but typically I leave it set on fastest time. Taking me off a straight and clear highway to route me around parking lots at an airport only to throw me back on the same highway is not right. routing me off of a perfectly clear highway and down the middle of Manhattan NY city streets when the highway was clearly the fastest way is not correct. I had 4 instances of blatantly stupid things like this in just the past weekend which were beyond ridiculous routing logic. the thing that bothers me is that my 10 year old garmin that was one of the first with traffic avoidance systems works near flawlessly. This jeep system often cant route properly regardless of using traffic avoidance or not.

After over two years of driving this jeep I can positively say the nav system is just plain unreliable and I don't trust and I will use something else going forward for navigation. I tried to work with it extensively but time to stop wasting time with it and use another means.
Reply With Quote
  #785  
Old 06-21-2015, 06:20 PM
SNUKE's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney, Aus
Posts: 3,887
Thanks: 135
Thanked 545 Times in 423 Posts
Rep Power: 7379
SNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee Map Update

That sounds the same as the last 3 Nav systems I have used, including the new Garmin one I have. If I am in areas I know, I would say that 50% of the time I ignore what is says because the routing option is just wrong to downright idiotic.
The fun thing is being in an area you know nothing about, but being pretty sure that whatever route you're on, it isn't the best one, and there is nothing you can do about it.
__________________
I'm just want it for the "shorter headlamps".

MY14 GC Limited, 3.0 CRD, Lux II, Granite Crystal, 18" Wheels, Tubular Side Steps.
Could I get my avatar much larger?
Ordered: July 7 2013 Delivered Nov 25th
Reply With Quote
  #786  
Old 06-21-2015, 11:06 PM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,354
Thanks: 255
Thanked 556 Times in 430 Posts
Rep Power: 30285
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNUKE View Post
That sounds the same as the last 3 Nav systems I have used, including the new Garmin one I have. If I am in areas I know, I would say that 50% of the time I ignore what is says because the routing option is just wrong to downright idiotic.
The fun thing is being in an area you know nothing about, but being pretty sure that whatever route you're on, it isn't the best one, and there is nothing you can do about it.
I guess the question is why are we going backwards from systems that routed correctly years ago to ones that often dont route correctly today.
Reply With Quote
  #787  
Old 06-22-2015, 08:39 AM
1stJeepGC's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC Area
Posts: 1,516
Thanks: 213
Thanked 178 Times in 155 Posts
Rep Power: 27138
1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee Map Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
I suspect it's the latter.

My 2015 came with software version 14.32.3

My Database says:
2014Q2;20140414

There's no way I'm laying out $150 for something that's only a few months newer.

If the maps were, say, at least Q2 of 2014, I'd consider it, but not for the very slight amount of changes I would get with this update.

Frankly, I'm a bit annoyed I didn't get the 2013 Q4 maps already installed on a 2015. Of course, if they had their act together, it should have been no earlier than a 2014 database in a 2015 vehicle.

I'm definitely waiting to see what happens when things get sorted out at HERE.
Greetings,

I just recently updated my IGO Primo app that uses the H.E.R.E North American database when it was released a couple of days ago. The database is split into 6 regions for the US and 1 region for Canada. The base build is from 2012Q2. The P.O.I. database update is 2014 Q3 as the latest build. While the map database is 2014 Q3 as well. I have yet to field test it. The prior update was back in Fall of 2014 for maps. I have yet to test it. This is my backup off-line app to my main one from Sygic which uses the TomTom map database. I do know from a quick search that the POI information in my local area still was not updated correctly again. IMHO, the updates by H.E.R.E. have slowed down considerably over last couple of years and not sure if the use same means to update them as they used too.

In regards to the JGC, I am not surprised that the 2015 JGC update is not a closer one than excepted. When the situation with H.E.R.E is finally comes to a conclusion by means of a sale or it stays with Nokia, FCA, thru its partners should look into a better platform if they still continue to use them. The cause and effect to the JGC users of the GPS system, the old models will not benefit due to the out dated software. Unless, they do a major firmware update for the 2014+ Uconnect HU's.

Best for now.
__________________
Laredo X, Trail Rated, QTii, Sele-Terrian, Quadra Lift, Off-Road Adventure Package ii, Nokian Rotiva AT, Tow, AFE CAI, DiabloSport inTune 1000-DCX, Custom Sound System ( HAT speakers, JLAudio , Pioneer , JBL MS-8 & RF 3.sixty.3 -- see the writeup link below for more details)

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/2011-...ver-79121.html
Reply With Quote
  #788  
Old 06-22-2015, 09:58 AM
wraab's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2016 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 306
Thanks: 62
Thanked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 1394
wraab is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee Map Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermax04 View Post
After doing some extensive driving the past few weeks I have come to the final conclusion that the Navigation system in this jeep is garbage. Yes the map update did fix most of the issues concerning new roads. The problem that continues is the routing and logic of the system which has always been off. even with avoidance turned off and trying various other settings the nav still wants to run you out of your way down out of the way streets for no apparent reason. I have tried various settings but typically I leave it set on fastest time. Taking me off a straight and clear highway to route me around parking lots at an airport only to throw me back on the same highway is not right. routing me off of a perfectly clear highway and down the middle of Manhattan NY city streets when the highway was clearly the fastest way is not correct. I had 4 instances of blatantly stupid things like this in just the past weekend which were beyond ridiculous routing logic. the thing that bothers me is that my 10 year old garmin that was one of the first with traffic avoidance systems works near flawlessly. This jeep system often cant route properly regardless of using traffic avoidance or not.

After over two years of driving this jeep I can positively say the nav system is just plain unreliable and I don't trust and I will use something else going forward for navigation. I tried to work with it extensively but time to stop wasting time with it and use another means.
I've noticed in the last few weeks since I took my jeep in (for an oil change) that not only is my mileage now appear off, but my oil gauge via the EVIC isn't working correctly again and my NAV has bombed several times. But to your point, I get some of these same issues. So I basically just run the navigation for the visual but I'm running Waze via bluetooth with the voice guidance on.
Reply With Quote
  #789  
Old 06-22-2015, 01:16 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1334
kefer is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee Map Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermax04 View Post
After doing some extensive driving the past few weeks I have come to the final conclusion that the Navigation system in this jeep is garbage. Yes the map update did fix most of the issues concerning new roads. The problem that continues is the routing and logic of the system which has always been off. even with avoidance turned off and trying various other settings the nav still wants to run you out of your way down out of the way streets for no apparent reason.
I completely agree. I have had my Jeep a little over 2 years now, and have learned to ignore the ridiculous routing that tells you to get off the freeway, follow a side street for a mile or two, and then get back on the freeway. I tried turning off all of the traffic avoidance options, but it still did it. The best one I have seen is driving south on US 101 through Santa Maria towards L.A. it tells me to take highway 166 east to the 5 near Bakersfield and then down the 5, which probably adds 2 hours to the drive instead of just staying on the 101 through Santa Barbara. It has tried to route me this way a couple of times...but not always which is really strange. I figured maybe there was something I had missed turning off, but then after my Sirius Traffic subscription ran out and it STILL did it, I knew the problem was with the NAV system itself. My wife won't drive the Jeep because the NAV routing is so bad she is scared she will get lost - the really sad thing is we have a 10 year old Infiniti M45, and the NAV system works flawlessly, so there really is no excuse.
Reply With Quote
  #790  
Old 06-22-2015, 02:39 PM
1stJeepGC's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC Area
Posts: 1,516
Thanks: 213
Thanked 178 Times in 155 Posts
Rep Power: 27138
1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee Map Update

Greetings,

Just a tidbit.

For the last couple of years and currently, their has always been speculation that the dimes of the OE GPS system. The follow Consumer Reports Article puts more on the flame for dimes?

Consumer Reports: The End of In-Dash OEM Navi is Near | ceoutlook.com

Back to the issue.

With the JGC highly rated ( :roll eyes: ) GPS system that we currently have, it looks like future systems will improve all the problems that we have to deal with now. As a smartphone user for GPS, I can tell you the online maps such as Google, Apple Maps and others do a decent to a nice job on routing. Then the other camp which is the off-line maps that I prefer, routing varies as well from bad to excellent, but it is better than an OE system which are all based on the off-line maps. If you never tired out a off-line map GPS navi app before, it is hit or miss sometimes. Some of the use the map database from H.E.R.E. with their own extensions to it and some use the TomTom maps.

I can not see FCA coming out with a major software update for the Uconnect 2014+ headunits to correct all the problems within the OE GPS system. If anything, the iDatalink solution when it arrives will give you that means to update to a better platform.

iDatalink Speculation...

Best for now.
__________________
Laredo X, Trail Rated, QTii, Sele-Terrian, Quadra Lift, Off-Road Adventure Package ii, Nokian Rotiva AT, Tow, AFE CAI, DiabloSport inTune 1000-DCX, Custom Sound System ( HAT speakers, JLAudio , Pioneer , JBL MS-8 & RF 3.sixty.3 -- see the writeup link below for more details)

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/2011-...ver-79121.html
Reply With Quote
  #791  
Old 06-22-2015, 07:32 PM
john150's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 145
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1785
john150 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee Map Update

Can you use the gift certificate that Jeep mailed out a while ago for the map update?
__________________
2014 GC Limited, True Blue, V-6, Nav, Tow. Delivered 4/27/13!!
2014 GC Summit, Bright White, V-6. Delivered 6/28/14!!
2007 Commander Sport, Steel Blue, Tow, Roof Rack, Fogs
2008 GC Laredo, Red Rock, Rocky Mountain Edition
Reply With Quote
  #792  
Old 06-22-2015, 07:38 PM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,354
Thanks: 255
Thanked 556 Times in 430 Posts
Rep Power: 30285
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee Map Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by john150 View Post
Can you use the gift certificate that Jeep mailed out a while ago for the map update?
unfortunately no because HERE is selling the maps not Chrysler. you can use it on a bent rim though
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2014, 2014 grand cherokee, grand cherokee, update

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Map Update - "PND Did Not Update" Error LJSMITH1 Audio/Visual/Navigation 15 06-23-2015 10:44 AM
Update map on 2014 GC with Harman/iGo Navigation KAMOU Audio/Visual/Navigation 0 10-23-2013 12:08 PM
Does 2014 nav map display more street names on the screen than the 2011 GC nav map? Sudin36 Audio/Visual/Navigation 3 05-01-2013 10:41 PM
430N RHB Navteq Map Update Available jerryw1000 Audio/Visual/Navigation 22 11-12-2012 08:50 PM
2010 navteq map update heather313 Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications 5 08-06-2010 06:59 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.