Thought that I would share an interesting story with you guys regarding the RA4 Access Radio on my 2014 Overland 5.7
PLEASE USE ANY OF THE INFORMATION BELOW AT YOUR OWN RISK
A couple of days ago I was having an issue with my RA4 radio. The unit kept telling me to service the Phone (911/Assist), (Red Light on Rearview Mirror) and that I had to bring my vehicle to the dealer (people have already spoken about this on the thread etc..)
While also having that issue for some reason my GPS was not getting signal and could not provide Location, Navigation, etc...
The first thing that I did was I entered the engineering menu to do a Factory Reset hoping that it was a simple software issue and a reset would resolve it. Unfortunatley, that didn't fix the problem but also wiped out all my information (which I expected).
Then the saga begins.... I called UConnect customer service and ended up working with a Level 3 Supervisor that told me that I either had to go to the dealer to have the radio updated or possibly have the Headunit replaced entirely (Currently the units are on a national backorder and it would be a total pain in the ass to wait for a new one). She wanted to check if there was an update available for my vehicle and by using the last 8 digits of my VIN she said that there was no update available. I told her that I had read about some people being able to update there radios with a flash drive and she said that those updates were only avaiable for the RAM with the same syetem.
This is where I got creative...I figured let me find a random new Dodge RAM for sale and enter the last 8 digits of that VIN number and see if an update shows up. Sure enough, the first one I entered said that there was an update available and the software version was 13.10.6
I downloaded the update and the instructions and figured what the hell let me try this on the Jeep maybe it will work. After going over the instructions I loaded the update file onto a flash drive and inserted it into the Jeep. Sure enough, it said a valid update was inserted and asked me if I wanted to proceed. Of course, I clicked Yes....
The radio rebooted into Update mode and started installing updates on the 12 blocks of sofrware that are on the radio (IE: SiriusXM, Analog, Digital, GPScal, etc...) All of a sudden the system froze up on Sierra Wireless. For those of you that don't know, Sierra Wireless manufactures the Sprint Radio that is in the Access radios for Harman. The radio tells me that the update failed and the system reboots. Now I think that I am totally screwed because everytime I restart the car, not only does the radio not come up and I have no HVAC, Radio, GPS controls, It also keeps displaying "Please Insert Update USB".
At this point I think im totally f'ed up and now I have to take a ride to the dealership. Then while driving home I figure what the hell and I re-insert the update USB flash drive and try again. Low and behold, 45 minutes later the update has been completed, the radio powers up (with the Jeep Logo, I thought I might end up with the RAM logo because it was a RAM update
) and everything is working great.
Not only did it resolve my service phone issues and my GPS issues, the radio is faster, more responsive, has some more options in the settings and is 1000x more stable then it used to be. Also, I did not have to resetup any of the APPS. Everything still works including the iPhone App.
I am pretty sure that the updates are the same but since there have been issues with the Jeep they are making owners go to the dealership to do the same update.
I just figured since you guys are always so helpful I would share my own experience and if anyone is brave enough they can try the update for themselves and get what I believe to be the latest software version 13.10.6
AGAIN, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK I DONT WANT TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR PEOPLE RUINING THEIR RADIOS!!!!