Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Audio/Visual/Navigation

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #37  
Old 11-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Manchester, CT
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 222
Bake is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 speaker upgrade

i just had all my internal speakers replaced with Hybrid Audio Imagine speakers, running off the factory head unit and amp, and the sound is greatly improved! much more depth in the sound and a lot better clarity. I also added an Alpine 10" sub running off an aftermarket 300 watt amp and a bass control knob. the entire setup sounds incredible. i turn the knob all the way down when i just want to hear the Hybrid speakers and adjust as needed for extra thump.

basically, yes you can just replace the factory speakers without having to replace the radio or amp. and yes, it will sound a lot better.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bake For This Useful Post:
  #38  
Old 11-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 129
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1030
My1stJGC is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 speaker upgrade

See I could see doing speakers first and if it doesn't work then doing what I was going to do. What ohm is factory speakers?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Radknight's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 242
Thanks: 4
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 516
Radknight is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 speaker upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post
i just had all my internal speakers replaced with Hybrid Audio Imagine speakers, running off the factory head unit and amp, and the sound is greatly improved! much more depth in the sound and a lot better clarity. I also added an Alpine 10" sub running off an aftermarket 300 watt amp and a bass control knob. the entire setup sounds incredible. i turn the knob all the way down when i just want to hear the Hybrid speakers and adjust as needed for extra thump.

basically, yes you can just replace the factory speakers without having to replace the radio or amp. and yes, it will sound a lot better.
Awesome news. I've heard so many people saying otherwise. I imagine those Hybrid Audio's had something to do with it too. I've heard good things about them.
__________________
2014 SRT - Bright White/Sepia/Pano/HK/Spidermonkeys
Delivered: 22NOV13
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Manchester, CT
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 222
Bake is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 speaker upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radknight View Post
Awesome news. I've heard so many people saying otherwise. I imagine those Hybrid Audio's had something to do with it too. I've heard good things about them.
just don't go in to it expecting an insane SQ vehicle on the other side. if you want some overall improved quality for a relatively cheap price, this will get the job done. i still plan on adding a small amp to run the front speakers at some point down the road though.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 11-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 129
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1030
My1stJGC is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 speaker upgrade

2 ohm or 4 ohm?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 181
el_guineo is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 speaker upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake View Post
i just had all my internal speakers replaced with Hybrid Audio Imagine speakers, running off the factory head unit and amp, and the sound is greatly improved! much more depth in the sound and a lot better clarity. I also added an Alpine 10" sub running off an aftermarket 300 watt amp and a bass control knob. the entire setup sounds incredible. i turn the knob all the way down when i just want to hear the Hybrid speakers and adjust as needed for extra thump.

basically, yes you can just replace the factory speakers without having to replace the radio or amp. and yes, it will sound a lot better.
Hi Bake. A few questions for you:

1. Which model Jeep do you have and what stereo combo? A 2014 with 8.4 and 6 speakers (no sub)?
2. Do you have install pictures? How difficult was running the wires, pulling the radio out, etc.?

Thanks!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1037
mbriddle is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 speaker upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyMac View Post
So I bit the bullet and replaced the fronts in my Overland with Focal 165KR2 components. The tweeters fit perfectly into the stock location and look schmick. Was planning to deaden the doors but the installer said they were pretty good from the factory anyway so just filled in the holes left by the 6x9 cutout. Due to the factory amps active crossover, didn't use the Focal's passive crossover (which pains me but have kept for later).

The result: I can actually hear the tweeters now and there's a clear improvement in mid-range kick. Overall a definite improvement in clarity.

The problem now is the rest of the system. I've started the journey and there's no turning back.....I know this is gonna hurt!! I plan to do it a step at a time hoping that each step is the magic bullet but I know where this is heading ($$ville)......next steps:

1. Replace rears (something in the Focal range) and deaden if needed.
2. Address subwoofer enclosure (fibreglass wrap or something)
3. Replace subwoofer driver (needs to be shallow to fit - Kicker?)
4. JBL MS-8 to take over steering logic and crossovers (install front passive crossovers)
5. Separate amp for speakers and mono amp for sub
6. Replace center dash speaker and rear surrounds.

Interested to hear anyone's thoughts on the process or recommendations for components.
I'm thinking about just replacing my tweeters as this seems like the weakest part of the system for now. Now that you have more time to listen to your system, do believe that replacing the tweeters with Focals would make a noticable improvement with everything else being stock?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Manchester, CT
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 222
Bake is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 speaker upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_guineo View Post
Hi Bake. A few questions for you:

1. Which model Jeep do you have and what stereo combo? A 2014 with 8.4 and 6 speakers (no sub)?
2. Do you have install pictures? How difficult was running the wires, pulling the radio out, etc.?

Thanks!
Sorry for the late response...
1. I have a 2012 Laredo X with the 5" (i believe) screen and the powered sub.
2. I don't unfortunately. It was installed at a professional shop.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 38
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 501
AllyMac is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 speaker upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbriddle View Post
I'm thinking about just replacing my tweeters as this seems like the weakest part of the system for now. Now that you have more time to listen to your system, do believe that replacing the tweeters with Focals would make a noticable improvement with everything else being stock?
if you mean the fronts (tweeter plus midrange - which is what did and therefore can comment on) then yes. there is much improved clarity in vocals and tighter midrange kick. I've been listening to music that sounded terrible with the stock fronts.

Rears are booked in for next week.
__________________
MY14 Overland CRD, Brilliant Black, Black Interior
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 11-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1037
mbriddle is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 speaker upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyMac View Post
if you mean the fronts (tweeter plus midrange - which is what did and therefore can comment on) then yes. there is much improved clarity in vocals and tighter midrange kick. I've been listening to music that sounded terrible with the stock fronts.

Rears are booked in for next week.
Actually I'm interested in replacing the tweeters only. I'd like to use the Focal TN-K which I believe are the same that came with your components.
I'm not sure if it's worth the effort if I am going to be using my stock head unit to drive them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 91
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 678
abarbs30 has a reputation beyond reputeabarbs30 has a reputation beyond reputeabarbs30 has a reputation beyond reputeabarbs30 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 speaker upgrade

I installed Focal 165's in my 2014 and it made a big enough difference that I can finally listen to loud music, get good SQ, and be happy on my long drives. The speakers are noticeably more clear. Planning on doing rears and then an AMP and converter. Not sure which converter to do...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 11-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC Area
Posts: 389
Thanks: 16
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 3860
1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute1stJeepGC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 speaker upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyMac View Post
So I bit the bullet and replaced the fronts in my Overland with Focal 165KR2 components. The tweeters fit perfectly into the stock location and look schmick. Was planning to deaden the doors but the installer said they were pretty good from the factory anyway so just filled in the holes left by the 6x9 cutout. Due to the factory amps active crossover, didn't use the Focal's passive crossover (which pains me but have kept for later).

The result: I can actually hear the tweeters now and there's a clear improvement in mid-range kick. Overall a definite improvement in clarity.

The problem now is the rest of the system. I've started the journey and there's no turning back.....I know this is gonna hurt!! I plan to do it a step at a time hoping that each step is the magic bullet but I know where this is heading ($$ville)......next steps:

1. Replace rears (something in the Focal range) and deaden if needed.
2. Address subwoofer enclosure (fibreglass wrap or something)
3. Replace subwoofer driver (needs to be shallow to fit - Kicker?)
4. JBL MS-8 to take over steering logic and crossovers (install front passive crossovers)
5. Separate amp for speakers and mono amp for sub
6. Replace center dash speaker and rear surrounds.

Interested to hear anyone's thoughts on the process or recommendations for components.

Greetings,

Nice setup and well done.

I scarped by entire factory premium system and radio.

The system that I created is a full active processing with power to each speaker.

I am working on the final pictures of the install and should have them shortly. The preview pictures are up under my userid tag.

In summary:
AppRadio 3 DA-210 head unit


All speakers are Hybrid Audio Technology Stage 5 & 6 series and the bass is the stealth box

Power is from 3 amps: 2 pioneer and 1 JL Audio

Signal Processing: JBL MS-8 and RF 3.sixty.3 in order to avoid passive crossovers and stay fully active. (Call me crazy, but it was worth it)
Full details shortly in a new thread.

Best for now.
__________________

__________________
Laredo X, Trail Rated, QTii, Sele-Terrian, Quadra Lift, Off-Road Adventure Package ii, Nokian Rotiva AT, Tow, Custom Sound System ( HAT speakers, JLAudio, Pioneer, JBL MS-8 & RF 3.sixty.3).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2014

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speaker Upgrade! Offroadcowboy Audio/Visual/Navigation 12 08-08-2013 09:18 AM
Stock Speaker Upgrade Bleeding Blue Audio/Visual/Navigation 92 06-23-2012 02:49 PM
speaker upgrade question tri0829 Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications 4 12-01-2011 10:57 AM
Speaker Upgrade chance Grand Cherokee - WK 46 03-01-2011 09:55 AM
Speaker Upgrade Lazzman Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 2 12-27-2010 02:34 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community