Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Audio/Visual/Navigation

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 11-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 65
Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1620
RedBolt has a reputation beyond reputeRedBolt has a reputation beyond reputeRedBolt has a reputation beyond repute
430N (RHB) to 730N (RHR) conversion question

I waited to order my Overland until the Tech Package was available and when I got the call that I could order the Tech package, I was told that I could no longer order the 730N which I had also wanted. The dealer did not know what the 430N would look like on the Overland, but after going through this forum, it appears the main features I wanted on my Nav/Media Center are not available on the 430N - namely Sirius Traffic (showing the traffic on the nav map) and the ability to use voice commands change the radio stations and program the nav. As I understand it, with the 430N you must stop and put the car in park to program a new destination in the nav (I DO assume you can press the DETOUR button on the fly, correct??) and you must use the touch screen to change radio stations. I am not happy but have no other choice since that is the ONLY nav available with today's Overlands.

Here is my question: once the 730N (RHR) becomes available, how easy would it be for me to have my dealer change out the 430N for the new 730N? I understand I would have to buy the new 730N through the parts department - and that won't be cheap - but are there any reasons that the switch can't be done (mountings, power, connections, etc)?

Thank you!

Overland 4x4 Hemi
Blackberry Pearl
Off Road Adventure II
Tech Package
Ordered: Sep 18 / Expected Delivery: Early Dec
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Red G8R's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 907
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 2496
Red G8R has a reputation beyond reputeRed G8R has a reputation beyond reputeRed G8R has a reputation beyond reputeRed G8R has a reputation beyond reputeRed G8R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 430N (RHB) to 730N (RHR) conversion question

I have already read threads where 430Ns were switched to 730Ns (RER) so I can't see why RHR should be a problem.
__________________

__________________
Peter
2011 GC Overland, 4x4, 5.7L, Q-L, 730N, White/Beige. :thumbsup:
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: brOOklyn
Posts: 1,244
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 2781
JoeSchmoe007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeSchmoe007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 430N (RHB) to 730N (RHR) conversion question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBolt View Post
I waited to order my Overland until the Tech Package was available and when I got the call that I could order the Tech package, I was told that I could no longer order the 730N which I had also wanted. The dealer did not know what the 430N would look like on the Overland, but after going through this forum, it appears the main features I wanted on my Nav/Media Center are not available on the 430N - namely Sirius Traffic (showing the traffic on the nav map) and the ability to use voice commands change the radio stations and program the nav. As I understand it, with the 430N you must stop and put the car in park to program a new destination in the nav (I DO assume you can press the DETOUR button on the fly, correct??) and you must use the touch screen to change radio stations. I am not happy but have no other choice since that is the ONLY nav available with today's Overlands.

Here is my question: once the 730N (RHR) becomes available, how easy would it be for me to have my dealer change out the 430N for the new 730N? I understand I would have to buy the new 730N through the parts department - and that won't be cheap - but are there any reasons that the switch can't be done (mountings, power, connections, etc)?

Thank you!

Overland 4x4 Hemi
Blackberry Pearl
Off Road Adventure II
Tech Package
Ordered: Sep 18 / Expected Delivery: Early Dec
430N can use voice commands to change radio stations
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Technosavant's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL, MO area
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 2924
Technosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 430N (RHB) to 730N (RHR) conversion question

Going from the RHB to the RHR should be relatively simple, and easier than a RHB to RER swap, since you'd already be wired up for the USB connection in the armrest.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 65
Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1620
RedBolt has a reputation beyond reputeRedBolt has a reputation beyond reputeRedBolt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 430N (RHB) to 730N (RHR) conversion question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
430N can use voice commands to change radio stations
Thanks, I must have misunderstood a previous post that I read.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 417
Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1958
Radside has a reputation beyond reputeRadside has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 430N (RHB) to 730N (RHR) conversion question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBolt View Post
Thanks, I must have misunderstood a previous post that I read.
You can also use the steering wheel controls to change the radio stations and use voice commands to select songs by name or artist from the hard drive or iPod.
__________________
2011 Black Berry Laredo X
Chrome Running Boards
Chrome Fog Bezel
Shark Fin Antennal
MyGig 430N
20" SRT REPS (9"wide)
Good Year Fortera 265 50R/20
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: brOOklyn
Posts: 1,244
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 2781
JoeSchmoe007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeSchmoe007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 430N (RHB) to 730N (RHR) conversion question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBolt View Post
Thanks, I must have misunderstood a previous post that I read.
On Sirius you can say channel number or station name ("Elvis Radio"). On AM/FM you can say frequency("101.1"), don't know about other ways.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1451
clockwoo is on a distinguished road
Re: 430N (RHB) to 730N (RHR) conversion question

Other than Sirius Traffic (Which I assume comes with a monthly fee) what does the 730RHR provide over the 430
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1547
drummer is on a distinguished road
Re: 430N (RHB) to 730N (RHR) conversion question

As big fan of Garmin navigation, I'd choose the 430N anyway - - but that's personal preference, and well covered elsewhere in the forum!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Technosavant's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: STL, MO area
Posts: 1,288
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 2924
Technosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond reputeTechnosavant has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 430N (RHB) to 730N (RHR) conversion question

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwoo View Post
Other than Sirius Traffic (Which I assume comes with a monthly fee) what does the 730RHR provide over the 430
It's covered elsewhere to exhaustion, but the short version is that the nav system and interface is different, you have split screen audio/nav capability, and you have voice command of not only the audio, but also the nav.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 417
Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1958
Radside has a reputation beyond reputeRadside has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 430N (RHB) to 730N (RHR) conversion question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technosavant View Post
It's covered elsewhere to exhaustion, but the short version is that the nav system and interface is different, you have split screen audio/nav capability, and you have voice command of not only the audio, but also the nav.
I hope that they have improved the voice navigation in the RHR... In the RER, it was extremely frustrating...the menu tree was so convoluted that it was easier to just pull over to put in the destination than having a five minute Q&A session with the RER...YMMV.
__________________
2011 Black Berry Laredo X
Chrome Running Boards
Chrome Fog Bezel
Shark Fin Antennal
MyGig 430N
20" SRT REPS (9"wide)
Good Year Fortera 265 50R/20
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1336
weenie5 is on a distinguished road
Re: 430N (RHB) to 730N (RHR) conversion question

I just picked up an Overland that I ordered. Was told that it would have the 730N, but it came with the 430N. At time of pick-up, I was then told that the 730N was no longer available and it was being replaced by the 430N. Turn out that was not true - ehe... My dealer now says that he will switch it out (for the upcharge of $465) after Jeep makes a conversion harness, which he said could be in 3 days or 6 months. I am not getting warm and fuzzies over this. I DO know that I want the 730N RHR. Does anybody have any info on the conversion harness - or if this is even the truth - or if it can be changed out without this 'harness'. My car was built in late Jan of 11, and I just picked it up March 4th...
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
730N (RER) vs 430N (RHB) vs 730N (RHR) joebinotto Audio/Visual/Navigation 205 05-06-2014 10:09 AM
730N - RER upgrade to 730N - RHR EmeraldOne Audio/Visual/Navigation 43 03-26-2011 12:48 AM
730N RER vs RHR--lany new info? ptlime Audio/Visual/Navigation 4 01-29-2011 10:12 PM
Is the 730N(RHR) AVAILABLE NOW? Mark Paul Audio/Visual/Navigation 5 12-14-2010 10:02 AM
Media Center 430N (RHB) GPS Antenna? quite98 Audio/Visual/Navigation 15 11-06-2010 11:23 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community