Alpine Upgrade - finally dialed in after 8 months of trial and error
2016 75th limited with 8.4 and alpine system.
1. First started with the infinity 6x9s and infinity 6.5s in rear. Had them running off the factory amp. SQ sucked and even with the high sensitivity rating, the 6x9s could not handle some lower frequencies from the stock amp.
2. Next I got an alpine pdx-v9 amp and used the PAC-sni 35 as a loc. I did not do any summing and ran the tweeter infinitys off the 6x9 frequency using the infinity crossover. But due to the range of the mid drivers the tweeters just sounded bad. Also there was a really bad hissing noise (white noise) coming from the tweeters.
3. Next I took the infinity tweeters off the crossover and just let the factory amp drive them. Much better. However I noticed that the factory sub was just being drowned out by the infinitys. The bass sucked.
4. Upgraded to the jl stealthbox. Huge improvement. However couple things: it's a sealed box, I've always used ported boxes and prefer the sound of ported boxes. When listening to jazz and regaee the jl is great, hits just right. But when listening to rap, it sucks. The bass is just too tight. And adjusting the crossover on the amp from 60 up to 100 really doesn't make much of a change.
5. So everything was good until I realized just how bright the infinity tweeters were on the stock amp. Adjusting the eq on the head unit did nothing to help. So I decided to return the infinitys and went all in with morel ultra tempos. I researched and read their tweeters were a different material and not as bright. So installed the morel 6x9s. And ran the morel tweeters of the stock amp and the 6x9s off the alpine amp. Much better. Balanced and not super bright.
6. I eventually got morel ultra tempo 6.5s for the rear. But I wasn't happy with the PAC sni 35. From what I research an active loc is better and that I needed to sum the channels and do time alignment. So I got the jl fix 86. Big mistake. When I summed the channels and ran the morel tweeters off the morel crossover powered by the alpine amp, I once again got a high noise floor and white noise. You could hear the white noise in all the speakers but it was most evident in the tweeters and I wouldn't be able to live with it. The fix 86 had no adjustments for output level and having the gains all the way down on the alpine amp did nothing to help.Noise was still present.
7. So decided to just go back to an loc and got the lc6i, however it doesn't have the option to put the GTO sensing in defeat. So this caused popping sounds. So returned that and got the lc7i. With the lc7i you can move the jumper to defeat and bypass the GTO.
8. So now I have the morel ultra tempo 6x9s, and 6.5s running off a pdx v9 amp with the jl stealthbox. Using the lc7i, I'm not doing any summing. I also have the morel tweeters running off the factory amp. Now that I have all the gains and output levels adjusted it sounds really good. FYI I'm not using the accu bass feature. Huge improvement over stock. Oh also I forgot I upgraded the center speaker to a jl 3.5. Not as muddy now. So the only original speakers are the speakers in the rear pillar.
I would like to move the sub time alignement up to the front but at this point it's not worth it. Don't want to mess with any dsp. I've put too much time and money in this project and I'm done. But trust me, you really don't need any summing or time alignment to get this system sounding amazing. Just use the factory frequencies and run it straight thru to an aftermarket amp (I chose the pdx because it's small, 5 channels and puts out a ton of power). Also I have the sub low pass around 70 and the front and rear high pass around 120.