Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Audio/Visual/Navigation

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #13  
Old 01-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1530
computerwiz621 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best practices for loading music on 430n HDD?

Android is what it is commonly used for but it can sync to almost anything. I use it with a flash drive no problem. I see what you are looking for though. This works for me because I don't have to manually copy the mp3 files, it does it all for me and organizes it to.
__________________

__________________
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
V6 4x4
Off Road II
Adaptive Cruise Package
Ordered: 11/13
Estimated Delivery 1/15
Delivered 1/19
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 407
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 73479
Mashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best practices for loading music on 430n HDD?

I don't think you need to worry about the file/folder structure. I didn't. Just copy the file folders as is onto a thumb drive and let the system copy them over as it sees fit.
__________________

__________________
2014 JCG Summit 4x4 Black
Tech Package, Dual-Pane Sunroof
Hemi V8, Purchased 11/15/2013
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1530
computerwiz621 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best practices for loading music on 430n HDD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie View Post
I don't think you need to worry about the file/folder structure. I didn't. Just copy the file folders as is onto a thumb drive and let the system copy them over as it sees fit.
I don't have it yet but if the 430n just reads the id3 tags in the mp3 then that's correct, it would not matter how the mp3s are organized. What I have now looks are the folder structure.
__________________
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
V6 4x4
Off Road II
Adaptive Cruise Package
Ordered: 11/13
Estimated Delivery 1/15
Delivered 1/19
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 407
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 73479
Mashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best practices for loading music on 430n HDD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerwiz621 View Post
I don't have it yet but if the 430n just reads the id3 tags in the mp3 then that's correct, it would not matter how the mp3s are organized. What I have now looks are the folder structure.
I believe that is exactly what it does. I think it reads the id3 tags and alligns them according to the info on the tag. I had a mix of files folders etc and they are all nicely organized only 430. The only thing that is missing id album art.
__________________
2014 JCG Summit 4x4 Black
Tech Package, Dual-Pane Sunroof
Hemi V8, Purchased 11/15/2013
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1530
computerwiz621 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best practices for loading music on 430n HDD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie View Post
I believe that is exactly what it does. I think it reads the id3 tags and alligns them according to the info on the tag. I had a mix of files folders etc and they are all nicely organized only 430. The only thing that is missing id album art.
Cool, then that makes it easier. Once I have it, I am curious to test! I also have an idea how to get the album art working. (IT guy here )
__________________
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
V6 4x4
Off Road II
Adaptive Cruise Package
Ordered: 11/13
Estimated Delivery 1/15
Delivered 1/19
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 407
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 73479
Mashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best practices for loading music on 430n HDD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerwiz621 View Post
Cool, then that makes it easier. Once I have it, I am curious to test! I also have an idea how to get the album art working. (IT guy here )
pm me your idea and I will test it tonight and report back here
__________________
2014 JCG Summit 4x4 Black
Tech Package, Dual-Pane Sunroof
Hemi V8, Purchased 11/15/2013
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1530
computerwiz621 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best practices for loading music on 430n HDD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie View Post
pm me your idea and I will test it tonight and report back here
Ok sent, good luck!
__________________
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
V6 4x4
Off Road II
Adaptive Cruise Package
Ordered: 11/13
Estimated Delivery 1/15
Delivered 1/19
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-05-2011, 04:58 PM
SixZeroFour's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 542
Thanks: 11
Thanked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Rep Power: 54362
SixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best practices for loading music on 430n HDD?

Switching the My Passport drive over to Fat32 worked like a charm. If anyone is looking for a better solution than thumb drives the WD Passport is perfect for transfering media! It's powered by the usb cable alone, is very small (about the size of a Blackberry phone), and comes in sizes up to 1 TB.

I plugged the drive in and instantly it started playing the mp3's - went into myfiles and selected all to copy to HDD and away it goes! Very good transfer rate, I had 7GB to transfer and it was less than 15min total. Not too bad at all! FAR faster than the HDD/Nav system I had in my 2010 VW GTI


*** UPDATE *** Apparently all of the files did not transfer for some reason and I only got about half my library. It was not recognizing songs after it got to a certain folder on the drive. I then deleted all the files that did transfer over from the drive and now it will copy the folders again... kinda strange but at least its working!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Cperez's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 765
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 2172
Cperez is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Cperez
Re: Best practices for loading music on 430n HDD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerwiz621 View Post
Ok sent, good luck!
I hear about the 430n utilizing Gracenote but wasn't sure why that was necessary if the source content had complete metadata.

I am the type who likes everything to work the way it is supposed to, but even for me album art is not a big priority. My default view is the full version of my profile pic taken on the day I picked up my WK2 with my daughter. Nothing in my music collection triggers fonder memories than that.
__________________
2011 JGC Overland 4x4
Mineral Gray/Black 5.7L Hemi 20" wheels
430n (RHB) Advanced Warning & ACC Group
Sharkfin antenna OEM roof rack/slush & cargo mats
Purchase date: 12.28.10

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Cperez's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 765
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 2172
Cperez is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Cperez
Re: Best practices for loading music on 430n HDD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixZeroFour View Post
Switching the My Passport drive over to Fat32 worked like a charm. If anyone is looking for a better solution than thumb drives the WD Passport is perfect for transfering media! It's powered by the usb cable alone, is very small (about the size of a Blackberry phone), and comes in sizes up to 1 TB.

I plugged the drive in and instantly it started playing the mp3's - went into myfiles and selected all to copy to HDD and away it goes! Very good transfer rate, I had 7GB to transfer and it was less than 15min total. Not too bad at all! FAR faster than the HDD/Nav system I had in my 2010 VW GTI


*** UPDATE *** Apparently all of the files did not transfer for some reason and I only got about half my library. It was not recognizing songs after it got to a certain folder on the drive. I then deleted all the files that did transfer over from the drive and now it will copy the folders again... kinda strange but at least its working!
This is good intel, both the FAT32 formatting and the fact that the Passport can run on the juice from the head unit w/o other external power. I'm pleasantly surprised by that.

Your update touches on another question I have. One of my folders didn't seem to copy over so I loaded it again, only to find I had created a duplicate. Unfortunately the HDD management options are all or nothing when it comes to deleting files. Is that right? It gives you a choice of what content to save, not sure why it wouldn't give you the option to selectively delete.
__________________
2011 JGC Overland 4x4
Mineral Gray/Black 5.7L Hemi 20" wheels
430n (RHB) Advanced Warning & ACC Group
Sharkfin antenna OEM roof rack/slush & cargo mats
Purchase date: 12.28.10

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-05-2011, 10:35 PM
SixZeroFour's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 542
Thanks: 11
Thanked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Rep Power: 54362
SixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best practices for loading music on 430n HDD?

Try this... (taken from another forum)

Push the Menu Button
Select My Files
Select My Music
Select My Playlists
Edit (Playlist)
Select Delete Songs From This playlist
Check the songs you want deleted, then click the on screen Delete Button

Hope it works!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1530
computerwiz621 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best practices for loading music on 430n HDD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cperez View Post
I hear about the 430n utilizing Gracenote but wasn't sure why that was necessary if the source content had complete metadata.

I am the type who likes everything to work the way it is supposed to, but even for me album art is not a big priority. My default view is the full version of my profile pic taken on the day I picked up my WK2 with my daughter. Nothing in my music collection triggers fonder memories than that.
I agree, not a deal breaker for me either but I can't help trying to figure it out. Although I didn't know you could change the default view either.
__________________

__________________
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
V6 4x4
Off Road II
Adaptive Cruise Package
Ordered: 11/13
Estimated Delivery 1/15
Delivered 1/19
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
730N HDD playback distortion Shulk Audio/Visual/Navigation 3 12-15-2010 11:11 PM
430N Bluetooth / Streaming music Logan302 Audio/Visual/Navigation 4 12-12-2010 12:35 AM
Wireless music idea Birdman Grand Cherokee - WK 10 11-20-2010 04:30 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community