Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Audio/Visual/Navigation

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 02-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 597
capric621 is on a distinguished road
Kenwood Nav Upgrade

I am trying to decide on what nav unit to put in my 2012. I have photoshopped the 2 I am looking at below. Figured I would share for anyone else interested in seeing what the kenwoods look like.

One is a 7" screen Kenwood Excelon DNX890HD and the other is the 6.2" Kenwood DNX6190HD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 6.49.53 AM.jpg (182.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-02-26 at 6.50.01 AM.jpg (186.7 KB, 76 views)
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-26-2013, 02:25 PM
RageOfFury's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,372
Thanks: 97
Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 11243
RageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by capric621 View Post
I am trying to decide on what nav unit to put in my 2012. I have photoshopped the 2 I am looking at below. Figured I would share for anyone else interested in seeing what the kenwoods look like.

One is a 7" screen Kenwood Excelon DNX890HD and the other is the 6.2" Kenwood DNX6190HD.
If you're set on Kenwood, then the new DNX890HD is the way to go.

I'll be going the Alpine route with their new INE-W927-HD.
__________________

__________________
2011 WK2 Laredo E V6 4x4
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 597
capric621 is on a distinguished road
Re: Kenwood Nav Upgrade

That is the way I'm leaning. I'm still gathering all my info for the install to make sure I can handle it all. So far Rage helped me out with the back up camera wiring info.

Does anyone know anything about remapping the steering wheel buttons? Do I need to buy something to do this?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-26-2013, 03:57 PM
RageOfFury's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,372
Thanks: 97
Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 11243
RageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by capric621 View Post
That is the way I'm leaning. I'm still gathering all my info for the install to make sure I can handle it all. So far Rage helped me out with the back up camera wiring info.

Does anyone know anything about remapping the steering wheel buttons? Do I need to buy something to do this?
All you need is the PAC RP4-CH11 adapter. This interfaces the Jeep harness and steering wheel controls with your aftermarket headunit. The steering wheel controls come preset, but the provided instructions tell you how to remap the controls to your liking.
__________________
2011 WK2 Laredo E V6 4x4
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 597
capric621 is on a distinguished road
Re: Kenwood Nav Upgrade

I just placed my order with Crutchfield. Should be in on Thursday. I will post photos of the install for anyone who is thinking of trying.

I just read about the steering wheel controls when I was ordering. Thanks fo the input.

Fury, what are you going to use for your backup camera rca? Are you just cutting open an existing one or do they make ends without wires you can use?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 164
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 791
Jrunr is on a distinguished road
Re: Kenwood Nav Upgrade

What are the differences between the Alpine and the Kenwood NAV units you two are talking about here?

I really want my audio upgraded, but I am having a hard time getting rid of the 730 as it does have all of the features I want. Other than the back up camera, can anything else be used from the factory stereo? Bluetooth mic? USB in the arm rest? Sat Radio antenna? I just spent all of this money on the JGC, and I want to keep it as clean and stock looking as possible. (minus the NAV unit if I upgrade)
__________________
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
3.6L V6 Brilliant Black with Black Interior
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-26-2013, 06:02 PM
13wk2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 817
13wk2 is on a distinguished road
Not to thread jack I'm also in the process of building my system. I just bought a kenwood ddx470 non nav unit. Waiting on that PAC switch to come in. I'm going to try and reuse the BT microphone in the jeep from factory if not try to hide the microphone discreetly
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-26-2013, 06:05 PM
13wk2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 817
13wk2 is on a distinguished road
I like the 6190 only for the fact it's got a volume knob vs a button
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-26-2013, 06:09 PM
RageOfFury's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,372
Thanks: 97
Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 11243
RageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kenwood Nav Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by capric621 View Post
I just placed my order with Crutchfield. Should be in on Thursday. I will post photos of the install for anyone who is thinking of trying.

I just read about the steering wheel controls when I was ordering. Thanks fo the input.

Fury, what are you going to use for your backup camera rca? Are you just cutting open an existing one or do they make ends without wires you can use?
Awesome! What did you order exactly?

I have a ton of yellow RCA cables laying around. So I grabbed one and cut it. The yellow RCA cables are meant for video. I'll use that to interface the OEM backup camera with my aftermarket headunit. By the way, I don't have a backup camera on my WK2, but I plan on buying the OEM one from justforjeeps.com. Quite the spring project I have lined up for myself!!

Since I've upgraded the headunit, changed out all the speakers and added an amp to my WK2, I can pretty much answer any A/V question you might have capric621. Pick my brain all you want!

Jrunk: Both the DNX890HD and INE-W927-HD are 7" screen nav units. They offer pretty much the same features. I'm going Alpine because I'm an Alpine fanboy lol.

If you go aftermarket you lose the backup camera, UConnect, the USB in the armrest and SiriusXM. But both the Kenwood and the Alpine units I've mentioned here offer bluetooth and sat radio. If you're good with a multimeter and a soldering iron, you can hack the backup camera and the USB in the arm rest to make them work.
__________________
2011 WK2 Laredo E V6 4x4
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-26-2013, 06:19 PM
13wk2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 817
13wk2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageOfFury View Post
Awesome! What did you order exactly?

I have a ton of yellow RCA cables laying around. So I grabbed one and cut it. The yellow RCA cables are meant for video. I'll use that to interface the OEM backup camera with my aftermarket headunit. By the way, I don't have a backup camera on my WK2, but I plan on buying the OEM one from justforjeeps.com. Quite the spring project I have lined up for myself!!

Since I've upgraded the headunit, changed out all the speakers and added an amp to my WK2, I can pretty much answer any A/V question you might have capric621. Pick my brain all you want!

Jrunk: Both the DNX890HD and INE-W927-HD are 7" screen nav units. They offer pretty much the same features. I'm going Alpine because I'm an Alpine fanboy lol.

If you go aftermarket you lose the backup camera, UConnect, the USB in the armrest and SiriusXM. But both the Kenwood and the Alpine units I've mentioned here offer bluetooth and sat radio. If you're good with a multimeter and a soldering iron, you can hack the backup camera and the USB in the arm rest to make them work.
That's actually not a bad idea with the factory camera. You know if its just that one video wire or is there another wire involved with the install.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-26-2013, 06:25 PM
RageOfFury's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,372
Thanks: 97
Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 11243
RageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kenwood Nav Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13wk2 View Post
That's actually not a bad idea with the factory camera. You know if its just that one video wire or is there another wire involved with the install.
Check this out: Jeep backup camera w/aftermarket headunit?
__________________
2011 WK2 Laredo E V6 4x4
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 PM
13wk2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 817
13wk2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageOfFury View Post
Thank you that answered everything. This is by far the best forum site I've been apart of.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aftermarket NAV Upgrade Install Questions... alamarca Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications 59 07-20-2011 06:27 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community