Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Audio/Visual/Navigation

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #13  
Old 05-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 158
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1588
xsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: March UConnect TSB and SMS Text to Speech

Incorrect, The issue is "which profile does BB support" & which SMS profile is supported by MY11 Uconnect?
MY11 UC supports SMS texting thru "AT" commands which was supported by phones at the time of the SW writing for MY11 vehicles.
MY12 UC supports the newer profile that the phones have started to support which is much more dependable than "AT" commands. This profile is MAP (message access profile).
The BB devices with iOS 6.0 and 7.0 both support MAP.
The problem is that he has a phone that supports MAP which isn't supported by MY11 vehicles.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Klossner View Post
It's the phone's fault. No Blackberry supports MAP.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-16-2012, 08:34 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 158
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1588
xsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: March UConnect TSB and SMS Text to Speech

Sorry for perhaps a dumb question but I haven't had the chance to try the HTC One yet. When you want to send a message besides the 20 prerecorded messages (a full length message)? Are you able to do this thru the Uconnect system using the speech to text? Or do you have to do the speech to text by using the phone separately and if you use the Uconnect system, you need to send from the 20 prerecorded messages? TIA




Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebb View Post
Yes, sending/replying works fine. There is a list of pre-defined replies which you can select by number also.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wheeling, WV
Posts: 22
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 977
Hockey37 is on a distinguished road
Re: March UConnect TSB and SMS Text to Speech

So if I understand correctly, all 2012 UConnect systems (430 and 730 radios) should support SMS texting via the MAP profile.

I am trying to figure out if my new phone (ATT Samsung Galaxy Note) supports the MAP profile. But based on searches, it is supported by Ford Sync, which I believe also used the MAP profile.

However, when my phone is connected to the radio in my Overland Summit, it will not read text messages. I also do not see an option in the phone to turn on MAP. Is there a setting in the radio that I have to enable?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 336
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1476
Tybalt39 has a reputation beyond reputeTybalt39 has a reputation beyond reputeTybalt39 has a reputation beyond reputeTybalt39 has a reputation beyond reputeTybalt39 has a reputation beyond reputeTybalt39 has a reputation beyond reputeTybalt39 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: March UConnect TSB and SMS Text to Speech

If I have followed the TSBs and this thread correctly, the 730 still is waiting for a TSB to enable MAP. Rather annoying, actually....
__________________
2012 Overland V6
Deep Cherry Red w/Saddle & Black
OEM Crossbars
Thule Criterium Bike Rack
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1132
dabl is on a distinguished road
Re: March UConnect TSB and SMS Text to Speech

xsdbs thanks for your posts, very interesting.

Do you know of a specific list of the different enhanced features the 2012 UC and/or 730N RHR offers over the 2011 version besides MAP for SMS?

Can you confirm/deny that a software update for a 2011 730N RHR will/will not enable some/all of those features such as MAP for SMS?

Regarding replacing the 2011 UC with a 2012 UC module and "plug and play", I take this to mean I could pull the glove drawer, remove the UC module and replace it myself with no other changes?

Would you happen to know a part number for the 2012 UC module?

I actually have a 2011 Dodge Challenger but caught this thread on a search.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 158
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1588
xsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: March UConnect TSB and SMS Text to Speech

The Mitsubishi radios (430, 430N, 130 etc) have nothing to do with the MAP profile. This profile is supported by the external Uconnect module.
That system supports MAP in the MY12 vehicles.
The Harman radios (730, 730N etc) have Uconnect built in to the radio because Uconnect is an internal part of the radio. As of now, the Harman radios don't support MAP, however I have read that they will have an SW update that will then support MAP. I don't know of the release date though.
I have a friend that has the NOTE, I'll see if I can borrow it and test it for MAP. There's not a setting in the radio to turn MAP on. I'll let you know what I find out on it, ok.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey37 View Post
So if I understand correctly, all 2012 UConnect systems (430 and 730 radios) should support SMS texting via the MAP profile.

I am trying to figure out if my new phone (ATT Samsung Galaxy Note) supports the MAP profile. But based on searches, it is supported by Ford Sync, which I believe also used the MAP profile.

However, when my phone is connected to the radio in my Overland Summit, it will not read text messages. I also do not see an option in the phone to turn on MAP. Is there a setting in the radio that I have to enable?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 158
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1588
xsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: March UConnect TSB and SMS Text to Speech

I can only really speak on the 430/ 430N radios, I have limited experience on the 730 series, and I have a couple contacts for the Harman radios but they somewhat refuse to offer me the information that could be used to help forum members (I am around on about 6 forums trying to help out). So I get a little information here and there.
In the 2012 vehicles with the RES, REQ, RHB & RBZ radios, the enhancements are: (this information is taken directly from the TSB 08-018-12 which was released about a month ago for the MY12 models.
The customer satisfaction enhancements are included with this software release:
NOTE: After the HFM has been updated it will receive these enhancements.
· Reduced “Device Reading” wait time after connecting a device to the remote USB
port.
· Call / Dial separation improves upon names being recognized as phone numbers.
· Improved sound quality during Bluetooth streaming.
· Increased iPod and iPhone compatibility.
· SMS messaging support via MAP protocol (not all phones support the MAP
protocol).
· Added “None of These” and “Correction” to the phone book prompt menu for better
handling of similar names.
· Previous button will return the song currently being played to the beginning of the
track.
· AirPlay feature “Dock Connector” no longer needs to be manually selected on Apple
devices. This will resolve the “No Audio” condition when the device is connected to
the remote USB port and dock connector is not selected.
NOTE: USB mode resume will no longer 'resume' after ignition OFF

I can only say that I heard a short while back that currently the 730 series doesn't support MAP but they plan on an update that will support it.

The PN's for the Uconnect module are:

High speed CAN BUS network vehicles-- 68104904AC
Low Speed CAN BUS network vehicles-- 68104903AC
Yes you would be able to remove your current module and plug the new part in, simple.
I just looked online and found the parts at:
http://www.factorymoparparts.com/68104903ac.html and
http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p...8104903AC.html

I may be able to get a better cost on the part thru a couple connections but I may need to have few orders. I can look into it and let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabl View Post
xsdbs thanks for your posts, very interesting.

Do you know of a specific list of the different enhanced features the 2012 UC and/or 730N RHR offers over the 2011 version besides MAP for SMS?

Can you confirm/deny that a software update for a 2011 730N RHR will/will not enable some/all of those features such as MAP for SMS?

Regarding replacing the 2011 UC with a 2012 UC module and "plug and play", I take this to mean I could pull the glove drawer, remove the UC module and replace it myself with no other changes?

Would you happen to know a part number for the 2012 UC module?

I actually have a 2011 Dodge Challenger but caught this thread on a search.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1132
dabl is on a distinguished road
Re: March UConnect TSB and SMS Text to Speech

xsdbs, again thanks for the great info. Obviously this stuff is very hard to come by!

Regarding the 2011 Harman 730N RHR and support for MAP it sounds like it's worth just being patient in the short term for an update vs buying a new module now.

I very much appreciate you going to the trouble to look up and post the part numbers and sources.

Regarding current SMS support for this model (AT command) it appears there simply is none for *any* phone.

I have a Samsung V195. Send/receive sms texting in general on the phone works fine.

I see no option for sms in my 730N menus nor does the unit respond correctly to the voice commands (“SMS Read”,“Read Messages,“SMS Send”,“Send Messages”)

Looks like I'm not alone.

http://jeepgarage.org/showpost.php?p=597769&postcount=3

http://jeepgarage.org/showpost.php?p=597773&postcount=4

xsdbs, I'm curious what if any reponse you got from your feb 2012 inquiry

The referenced phone compatibility document in one of the above posts was from march 2012 which indeed showed zero compatible phones tested with the 730N RHR and the Text messaging (SMS) feature.

At that time there were the below phones in that document 'scheduled for testing' with the 730N RHR

BlackBerry Bold 9780
HTC HD7
Motorola Droid Pro
Motorola Citrus
Samsung Continuum
Apple iPhone Verizon
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 158
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1588
xsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond reputexsdbs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: March UConnect TSB and SMS Text to Speech

First, I may not have been clear on this, the external (and replaceable) uconnect module is used on the Mitsubishi radio line. The Harman radios have Uconnect built into the radio and can't be replaced (without buying a new radio, but this wouldn't help).
I'm not sure if the 2011 RHR will get an update that will include MAP. I have only heard about the 2012 radios getting it, however Harman may change their mind. I am limited on getting information on the Harman radios, they don't have anyone to offer quality help to their customers and also feel that I shouldn't be trying to help, so they tend to (or so it seems anyway) to just delete my emails. Instead, they could appreciate a non paid by them person that is willing to help others. Oh well enough complaining.
For "AT"command, there were very few phones that supported that profile. Phone companies have been spending R&D money on the newest profile MAP. There are some phones that support MAP and actually work. There are some that can receive messages but can't send messages. Like anything new, there will be the need to do some tune ups.
I don't know about the list of phones in your post, but one thing for sure is that APPLE has no plans on supporting MAP or AT commands for texting thru BT.
Also that list that is mentioned is actually dated 3-7-2011, not 2012.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dabl View Post
xsdbs, again thanks for the great info. Obviously this stuff is very hard to come by!

Regarding the 2011 Harman 730N RHR and support for MAP it sounds like it's worth just being patient in the short term for an update vs buying a new module now.

I very much appreciate you going to the trouble to look up and post the part numbers and sources.

Regarding current SMS support for this model (AT command) it appears there simply is none for *any* phone.

I have a Samsung V195. Send/receive sms texting in general on the phone works fine.

I see no option for sms in my 730N menus nor does the unit respond correctly to the voice commands (“SMS Read”,“Read Messages,“SMS Send”,“Send Messages”)

Looks like I'm not alone.

http://jeepgarage.org/showpost.php?p=597769&postcount=3

http://jeepgarage.org/showpost.php?p=597773&postcount=4

xsdbs, I'm curious what if any reponse you got from your feb 2012 inquiry

The referenced phone compatibility document in one of the above posts was from march 2012 which indeed showed zero compatible phones tested with the 730N RHR and the Text messaging (SMS) feature.

At that time there were the below phones in that document 'scheduled for testing' with the 730N RHR

BlackBerry Bold 9780
HTC HD7
Motorola Droid Pro
Motorola Citrus
Samsung Continuum
Apple iPhone Verizon
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rivergrove, OR
Posts: 576
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 10528
Andrew Klossner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Klossner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Klossner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Klossner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Klossner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Klossner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Klossner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Klossner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Klossner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Klossner has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Klossner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: March UConnect TSB and SMS Text to Speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs View Post
MY11 UC supports SMS texting thru "AT" commands which was supported by phones at the time of the SW writing for MY11 vehicles.
TSB 08-019-12, which applies to MY2011 vehicles only, includes this enhancement:
· SMS messaging support via MAP protocol (not all phones support the MAP protocol)
This is a U-connect upgrade, so it won't help the 730N.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-23-2012, 12:18 PM
drdobsg's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2004 4.0L WJ
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tinton Falls, NJ
Posts: 100
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 88982
drdobsg has a reputation beyond reputedrdobsg has a reputation beyond reputedrdobsg has a reputation beyond reputedrdobsg has a reputation beyond reputedrdobsg has a reputation beyond reputedrdobsg has a reputation beyond reputedrdobsg has a reputation beyond reputedrdobsg has a reputation beyond reputedrdobsg has a reputation beyond reputedrdobsg has a reputation beyond reputedrdobsg has a reputation beyond repute
I find it very annoying that Chrysler advertises the SMS option for the 730N, while in reality it doesn't work! The radio doesn't even understand the SMS command, it either tunes to an FM satellite radio station. With the 2014 getting a new system, let's hope they don't forget about updating the older Harmon radios.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 336
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1476
Tybalt39 has a reputation beyond reputeTybalt39 has a reputation beyond reputeTybalt39 has a reputation beyond reputeTybalt39 has a reputation beyond reputeTybalt39 has a reputation beyond reputeTybalt39 has a reputation beyond reputeTybalt39 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: March UConnect TSB and SMS Text to Speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdobsg View Post
I find it very annoying that Chrysler advertises the SMS option for the 730N, while in reality it doesn't work! The radio doesn't even understand the SMS command, it either tunes to an FM satellite radio station. With the 2014 getting a new system, let's hope they don't forget about updating the older Harmon radios.
From your keyboard to their eyes! Amen!!
__________________

__________________
2012 Overland V6
Deep Cherry Red w/Saddle & Black
OEM Crossbars
Thule Criterium Bike Rack
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SMS Text to Speech and New iPhone 4s bobkbusch Audio/Visual/Navigation 12 10-30-2011 01:40 PM
Uconnect SMS jarrod Audio/Visual/Navigation 3 09-10-2011 02:53 PM
New uconnect module tsb Radside Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 13 08-24-2011 02:41 PM
Deleting old text SMS messages IndyBob Audio/Visual/Navigation 12 06-20-2011 07:09 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community