Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Audio/Visual/Navigation

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 PM
esierens's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 27
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1337
esierens is a name known to all
Garage
New App in Uconnect store

New App in Uconnect store. I just noticed a App called Via Mobile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n-1-3.jpg (275.0 KB, 97 views)
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-28-2013, 06:47 PM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,395
Thanks: 341
Thanked 369 Times in 320 Posts
Rep Power: 1801977
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New App in Uconnect store

I think this is the connection to the uConnect system for apps like pandora, etc.

Can they be far behind?


--.
__________________

__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...

... pull over to the side of the road!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-28-2013, 07:13 PM
esierens's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 27
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1337
esierens is a name known to all
Garage
Re: New App in Uconnect store

Thats what it looks like to me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Tarponbeach's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 118
Thanks: 8
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 599
Tarponbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: New App in Uconnect store

I saw that too. doesn't seem like it is ready for download however, but this got me curious....I have not yet used bluetooth from my Galaxy S4 to stream mp3's, or Pandora, but I tried it tonight. I was surprised that the touch screen displayed the name of the song, artist, etc, and that I could pause, FF, RW from the screen or the steering wheel controls. I'm assuming that this is not something new, or related to the Via Mobile App?
__________________
2014 GC Limited
Max Steel/Black
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Northland's Avatar
I go where my Jeep goes.
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 447
Thanks: 15
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 1647
Northland has a reputation beyond reputeNorthland has a reputation beyond reputeNorthland has a reputation beyond reputeNorthland has a reputation beyond reputeNorthland has a reputation beyond reputeNorthland has a reputation beyond reputeNorthland has a reputation beyond reputeNorthland has a reputation beyond reputeNorthland has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New App in Uconnect store

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarponbeach View Post
I'm assuming that this is not something new, or related to the Via Mobile App?
No, it's a function of Bluetooth - I stream Slacker all the time via my iPhone 5 and it shows artist; song; etc. on the screen and I can advance songs & change volume with the steering wheel controls.
__________________
Ordered 2/04/13, Built and Status KZ (Plant Release) on 2/19/13, delivered 2/28/13: 2014 Limited 4x4 in Bright White with Lt. Frost Beige interior; Hemi V8; ORA II; RA4 UConnect.
So far: 20% tint all around; black BT oil catch can; Jeep slush and cargo mats; Blackvue DR500GW-HD dashcam; DropStops; XtremeDigital 4300K low beam HIDs; 5000K LED fog lights; Airaid CAI with SynthaMax dry filter. And now rollin' with UConnect 14.25.05!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Tarponbeach's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 118
Thanks: 8
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 599
Tarponbeach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland View Post
No, it's a function of Bluetooth - I stream Slacker all the time via my iPhone 5 and it shows artist; song; etc. on the screen and I can advance songs & change volume with the steering wheel controls.
Thanks, that's what I suspected, never having used it before tonight.
__________________
2014 GC Limited
Max Steel/Black
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 857
Thanks: 0
Thanked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Rep Power: 73217
mswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New App in Uconnect store

People keep getting excited about coming apps. But when things like Pandora show up, it will probably be through THEIR service and most folks will not want to pay for the service, especially if they already have the service on their phone.

What you want, is the car to use YOUR phone for the data service along with Native Apps in Car. But I doubt that is gonna happen. Nor is it easier to do, because most phones have to be rooted or you have to pay for the service (i.e. WIFI Hotspot or Bluetooth Tether).

You can basically do it now, with Bluetooth. It's just a Push from the phone instead of Pull from the car. As discussed in the last few posts.

By the way I've been experimenting with the newest Bluetooth Speakers and Adapters that support Apt-X. Basically a Lossless Codec for Bluetooth Music. It sounds quite good compared to the standard lossy codec.

It sure would be nice if the UConnect could support Apt-X. Not sure if it requires new hardware or can be done in firmware. Much rather have this than silly FLAC support.
__________________
08-10-2014 Limited 3.6L Red W/Black Int, Tow Group IV, 8.4AN Radio, ProClip, OBDLink/Torque, Zeigler Lifetime MaxCare
OEM: Mud Flaps, Matts, Cargo Liner, Cross Rails
UConnect: 13.48.3 TSB: 21-007-13C (Yippy) Tires: OEM/Nokian
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-28-2013, 09:17 PM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,395
Thanks: 341
Thanked 369 Times in 320 Posts
Rep Power: 1801977
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New App in Uconnect store

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
People keep getting excited about coming apps. But when things like Pandora show up, it will probably be through THEIR service and most folks will not want to pay for the service, especially if they already have the service on their phone.

What you want, is the car to use YOUR phone for the data service along with Native Apps in Car. But I doubt that is gonna happen. Nor is it easier to do, because most phones have to be rooted or you have to pay for the service (i.e. WIFI Hotspot or Bluetooth Tether).

You can basically do it now, with Bluetooth. It's just a Push from the phone instead of Pull from the car. As discussed in the last few posts.

By the way I've been experimenting with the newest Bluetooth Speakers and Adapters that support Apt-X. Basically a Lossless Codec for Bluetooth Music. It sounds quite good compared to the standard lossy codec.

It sure would be nice if the UConnect could support Apt-X. Not sure if it requires new hardware or can be done in firmware. Much rather have this than silly FLAC support.
Or you could be wrong about it not using your phone.


---
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...

... pull over to the side of the road!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-29-2013, 07:53 AM
StaticFX's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 741
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 1315
StaticFX has a reputation beyond reputeStaticFX has a reputation beyond reputeStaticFX has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New App in Uconnect store

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
People keep getting excited about coming apps. But when things like Pandora show up, it will probably be through THEIR service and most folks will not want to pay for the service, especially if they already have the service on their phone.

What you want, is the car to use YOUR phone for the data service along with Native Apps in Car. But I doubt that is gonna happen. Nor is it easier to do, because most phones have to be rooted or you have to pay for the service (i.e. WIFI Hotspot or Bluetooth Tether).

You can basically do it now, with Bluetooth. It's just a Push from the phone instead of Pull from the car. As discussed in the last few posts.

By the way I've been experimenting with the newest Bluetooth Speakers and Adapters that support Apt-X. Basically a Lossless Codec for Bluetooth Music. It sounds quite good compared to the standard lossy codec.

It sure would be nice if the UConnect could support Apt-X. Not sure if it requires new hardware or can be done in firmware. Much rather have this than silly FLAC support.
You should read up on it. Its not using their service at all, it will use your phones data plan. The app will just link your phone to the radio to allow easier control. If you have an iPhone, just plug in the usb and start Pandora... shows album art, artist, etc and you can play/pause/skip songs.

also, to all.. i just checked on the Dashboard website... the App is free till 2018 for me. So hopefully this means its not part fot he Uconnect access - because no way in hell would i pay $19.99 / month for remote start from my phone and an assist button that is useless.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-29-2013, 07:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 857
Thanks: 0
Thanked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Rep Power: 73217
mswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond reputemswlogo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New App in Uconnect store

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticFX View Post
You should read up on it. Its not using their service at all, it will use your phones data plan. The app will just link your phone to the radio to allow easier control. If you have an iPhone, just plug in the usb and start Pandora... shows album art, artist, etc and you can play/pause/skip songs.
But that works today. With no apps.

Perhaps they could "improve" the interface. But that will still be Bluetooth.

To get the car to use the phone directly for the "Internet" so that a fully native App runs in the car, is messy. I've had that with a Parrot Radio (these are the folks that make Bluetooth Car interfaces for many Car companies).

There are several ways to do it. But the best way was installing a Data only Dongle. Which is what the Jeep already has.

Getting the Jeep to use your phone as the "Hot Spot" is highly unlikely.

Only because I suspect they want to hook us on their data plans. And we are stuck with what ever they choose.

I hope I'm wrong.
__________________
08-10-2014 Limited 3.6L Red W/Black Int, Tow Group IV, 8.4AN Radio, ProClip, OBDLink/Torque, Zeigler Lifetime MaxCare
OEM: Mud Flaps, Matts, Cargo Liner, Cross Rails
UConnect: 13.48.3 TSB: 21-007-13C (Yippy) Tires: OEM/Nokian
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-30-2013, 08:21 AM
StaticFX's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 741
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 1315
StaticFX has a reputation beyond reputeStaticFX has a reputation beyond reputeStaticFX has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New App in Uconnect store

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
But that works today. With no apps.

Perhaps they could "improve" the interface. But that will still be Bluetooth.

To get the car to use the phone directly for the "Internet" so that a fully native App runs in the car, is messy. I've had that with a Parrot Radio (these are the folks that make Bluetooth Car interfaces for many Car companies).

There are several ways to do it. But the best way was installing a Data only Dongle. Which is what the Jeep already has.

Getting the Jeep to use your phone as the "Hot Spot" is highly unlikely.

Only because I suspect they want to hook us on their data plans. And we are stuck with what ever they choose.

I hope I'm wrong.
The interface etc will be improved. Thats what this app is for (so they say lol). And, yes.. it uses your phones data.

Uconnect® Access | The next generation of connectivity has arrived
Quote:
Via Mobile makes it easy to enjoy your favorite apps and stay focused on driving. It uses your smartphone's data plan to access Uconnect® System-enabled apps, which you control with your touchscreen or steering wheel audio controls
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
uconnect

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UConnect app wishlist Born2golf Audio/Visual/Navigation 11 10-23-2013 04:05 PM
Uconnect Iphone App nj newb Audio/Visual/Navigation 2 07-22-2013 09:50 AM
UConnect app - locked while in motion Roki303 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 5 04-25-2013 07:44 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.