The first two things that the next generation infotainment system as the OE should have is a true HD screen that is large and the right processor in it. After all, technically it is a computer. The screen is very important besides showing album art from what ever music source you are listing too, moreover, to show a clear picture of the GPS navigation. A clear picture, the driver can focus quickly and get their eyes back on the road. In addition, a heads up display should be included as option. Of course the processor should be up to stuff so we do not have to wait forever.
In this day & age, their is no reason why we can not get updates in both software features and map databases. The solution of course is the navi apps or built-in system that allows updating.
CarPlay & Android Auto:
- You should have the ability download the software onto you smartphone which will load it onto your headunit or run from your smartphone.
- For those who do not have a smartphone, you should have option of get a source media to load onto your headunit. That source media should be reasonable priced.
- Various other car manufactures have been implementing or have started to implement this these technologies.
Even through, these 2 systems have now shown more development in their infancy stages than, for example, Pioneer AppRadio infotainment system, it should be a standard source incorporated into the OE headunit. As more cars that come equipped with this feature and more aftermarket radios that have it, you should see an increase in the number of apps that will support these formats.
Many other car manufactures, including FCA, have built-in apps that can be accessed via the smartphone. Currently, many app developers love this option instead of either CarPlay and Android Auto since they are not bound by Apple or Googles requirement. These apps allow for bi-directional control between the screen and the phone. On the developer's website, you will find somewhere a listing of OE development.
Other Audio Sources:
- The headunit should have the ability to connect to the smartphone.
- For those who do not have a smartphone, their should be a wifi or built-in cellphone connection. This way the driver can register via their own home computer or implement in the software.
- The only subscription cost should be of the app, not any OE services.
I think at this point, the standard FM/AM should be HD Radio. Even though I am not a fan of SirusXm anymore, it should be an option. The CD player is another item should be an option. Their should be also another dedicated USB port for the flash drives or other USB sources.
At this point as many music streaming services are going with higher bandwidths, Hi Res Audio should be a feature that is standard. Especially since car manufactures are making it tough replace the headunit with an aftermarket one. In addition, better tuning capabilities should be allowed for the owner of the vehicle to set the sound as he/she prefers.
Ease of Use:
- The touchscreen is best option at this point and it should always be part of the system.
- Voice Recognition is another option if it is properly calibrated to recognize the background noise associated with a vehicle instead of a person walking around or sitting.
- An option to reprogram the steering wheel controls to our preferences.
The whole purpose of quality infotainment system is not to have lug around your tablet either your iPad or Android based tablet. The same experience should be migrated into the car environment. After 2 1/2 years using Pioneer AppRadio infotainment system, this what I believe should happen. Once, their are more navi apps for CarPlay, I will make the jump.
Hopefully, member JeepCares (Emily)
can voice our concert to those in command. As we all know here, its on going fight for them to listen about Uconnect issues.
Best for now.
Laredo X, Trail Rated, QTii, Sele-Terrian, Quadra Lift, Off-Road Adventure Package ii, Nokian Rotiva AT, Tow, AFE CAI, DiabloSport inTune 1000-DCX, Custom Sound System ( HAT speakers, JLAudio , Pioneer , JBL MS-8 & RF 3.sixty.3 -- see the writeup link below for more details)