Pulling the plug! - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Audio/Visual/Navigation

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 12-03-2015, 11:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 114
Thanks: 66
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 954
ThickWK2 is on a distinguished road
Pulling the plug!

My Uconnect is a bit buggy. Sometimes the handsfree voice dialing doesn't recognize my contacts. Sometimes the handsfree feature takes 20 to 30 minutes. Just overall a bit buggy.

So, I'm going to pull the battery and see if a hard reset does the trick and makes Uconnect a bit more stable. Though, I have 2 questions:

1) Once I do the hard reset, do I need to re-install the latest update?

2) To pull the battery, is the best way to go underneath the seat or is it possible to disconnect from underneath the hood?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-04-2015, 08:02 AM
Lightninrod's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Warner Robins Ga
Posts: 451
Thanks: 539
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Power: 1434
Lightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond reputeLightninrod has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pulling the plug!

All I'm aware of is to disconnect the negative cable on the battery itself.

Dan
__________________
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
5.7L V8, 2WD,
AFE Dry drop in air filter, Quadratec mats, Sprint Booster, and Blastinbob's catback
Build date: 9/4/12
Bought 01/27/15 with 47,200 miles
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lightninrod For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old 12-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 114
Thanks: 66
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 954
ThickWK2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pulling the plug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightninrod View Post
All I'm aware of is to disconnect the negative cable on the battery itself.

Dan
Awesome, thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-04-2015, 12:52 PM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,394
Thanks: 259
Thanked 569 Times in 440 Posts
Rep Power: 30371
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pulling the plug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickWK2 View Post
My Uconnect is a bit buggy. Sometimes the handsfree voice dialing doesn't recognize my contacts. Sometimes the handsfree feature takes 20 to 30 minutes. Just overall a bit buggy.

So, I'm going to pull the battery and see if a hard reset does the trick and makes Uconnect a bit more stable. Though, I have 2 questions:

1) Once I do the hard reset, do I need to re-install the latest update?

2) To pull the battery, is the best way to go underneath the seat or is it possible to disconnect from underneath the hood?
you don't need to reload anything. the only thing I have noted is that the equalizer settings need to be put back where you want them and everything else retains. on more than one occasion flash updates have caused things to get out of whack so I have done this a few times.

unhook the negative post directly from the battery don't do if from under the hood. you want to make sure power is off to everything and there are some small stray wires hooking into the negative post so by taking off the negative post you make sure those are not sending power anywhere. leave it off 30 minutes or longer. I just take it off before I go to bed and put it back on in the morning when I have done it. good luck
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silvermax04 For This Useful Post:
  #5  
Old 12-04-2015, 01:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 114
Thanks: 66
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 954
ThickWK2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pulling the plug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermax04 View Post
you don't need to reload anything. the only thing I have noted is that the equalizer settings need to be put back where you want them and everything else retains. on more than one occasion flash updates have caused things to get out of whack so I have done this a few times.

unhook the negative post directly from the battery don't do if from under the hood. you want to make sure power is off to everything and there are some small stray wires hooking into the negative post so by taking off the negative post you make sure those are not sending power anywhere. leave it off 30 minutes or longer. I just take it off before I go to bed and put it back on in the morning when I have done it. good luck
This is great, just what I needed to know! Nice that I won't have to go in and reset my settings.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-04-2015, 05:02 PM
Todd3.6's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 839
Thanks: 5
Thanked 80 Times in 69 Posts
Rep Power: 350631
Todd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pulling the plug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickWK2 View Post
My Uconnect is a bit buggy. Sometimes the handsfree voice dialing doesn't recognize my contacts. Sometimes the handsfree feature takes 20 to 30 minutes. Just overall a bit buggy.

So, I'm going to pull the battery and see if a hard reset does the trick and makes Uconnect a bit more stable. Though, I have 2 questions:

1) Once I do the hard reset, do I need to re-install the latest update?

2) To pull the battery, is the best way to go underneath the seat or is it possible to disconnect from underneath the hood?
Why disconnect the battery?
Go into the fuse box and pull the radio fuse or fuses.
Should serve the same purpose (with less work).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-04-2015, 06:18 PM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,394
Thanks: 259
Thanked 569 Times in 440 Posts
Rep Power: 30371
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pulling the plug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd3.6 View Post
Why disconnect the battery?
Go into the fuse box and pull the radio fuse or fuses.
Should serve the same purpose (with less work).
In my discussions with the techs at the dealer the dozen or so modules in this jeep chatter and talk with seemingly unrelated modules far more then anyone would ever think. taking them all down and letting them come backup together gracefully with a cable pull is a better bet then dropping power to one and hoping everything syncs back up with it correctly. also part of the reason that flashing modules sometimes can whack things out of correct operation and a cable rest to bring them all down and back up together can correct it. Plus its about 30 seconds and a 10mm wrench to pop the terminal off, theres no work to it at all.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2015, 08:19 AM
f1anatic's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,727
Thanks: 77
Thanked 208 Times in 150 Posts
Rep Power: 160023
f1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pulling the plug!

Isn't reloading the firmware on the radio an even more appropriate and recognized solution for dealing with bugs or limited functions in some module?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-05-2015, 09:12 AM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,394
Thanks: 259
Thanked 569 Times in 440 Posts
Rep Power: 30371
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pulling the plug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1anatic View Post
Isn't reloading the firmware on the radio an even more appropriate and recognized solution for dealing with bugs or limited functions in some module?
Yes reloading firmware or a factory reset to the radio would be things to try if the problem persists but as a quick first thing to try, rebooting windows would be my first choice. Unless the issues occurred right after or while trying to load updated firmware, which doesn't appear to be the case, in that case the firmware load is strongly suspect and reload is your best bet.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-10-2015, 09:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 114
Thanks: 66
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 954
ThickWK2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pulling the plug!

So, I pulled the plug and uConnect is still buggy in that voice dialing my contacts works only intermittently and now, when I mute the system using the dial button and then unmute the music will not resume.

So, I'm thinking now of trying to re-install the update and am hoping one of you can help me out. To reinstall, do I just need to download a fresh version of the most recent update and re-install as normal or do I need to somehow delete the most recent update?

Any input would be appreciated. Has anyone else encountered these issues before?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-10-2015, 09:12 PM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,394
Thanks: 259
Thanked 569 Times in 440 Posts
Rep Power: 30371
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pulling the plug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickWK2 View Post
So, I pulled the plug and uConnect is still buggy in that voice dialing my contacts works only intermittently and now, when I mute the system using the dial button and then unmute the music will not resume.

So, I'm thinking now of trying to re-install the update and am hoping one of you can help me out. To reinstall, do I just need to download a fresh version of the most recent update and re-install as normal or do I need to somehow delete the most recent update?

Any input would be appreciated. Has anyone else encountered these issues before?
I have not encountered that issue but yes to reinstall just download the latest version and load it as you would if you were upgrading. it will ask you if you want to replace the version you have with the same version and you just say yes.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silvermax04 For This Useful Post:
  #12  
Old 12-10-2015, 09:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 114
Thanks: 66
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 954
ThickWK2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pulling the plug!

Thanks! One more question I just thought of, I recently received a USB with the latest update to address the recall security issue. Would this work as a full update or do I need to pull one from the update site?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
12 Pin plug to make OEM bi Xenon Retrofit more PLUG & Play Jeep_addicted Interior/Exterior/Visual 18 05-16-2016 02:44 PM
pulling a wheel off with QL jp467 Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 19 06-13-2011 03:23 PM
Question about pulling. 99limited Performance Modifications 14 10-17-2009 01:17 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.