I'd be curious to have other folks try to eliminate any special chars and see if it helps. A bigger sample size would help determine if this is the problem.
No problem with bigger sizes, provided all my songs were tagged with Mp3tag, and I replaced all the filenames with TITLE tag, using the validate$
option in Mp3tag copy_tag_to_filename action. This option cleans up any forbidden character in filename.
For anybody interested, I provide my experience below:
I'm currently experimenting with SD card versus my iPod Classic. My goal is to keep free the USB port for charging my phone while it stays on its support on the dash (I use the Brodit support hanged to the front air vent).
In my previous 2012 JGC, I could place the iPod in the upper compartment in the center armrest, while the charging usb cable for the iPhone was connected to the front usb port in the 2012 7" uconnect system.
Now, with the 2014 model, there is no usb port in the armrest, so I had to change my configuration.
My current music library is more than 15,000 songs, total size more than 180 GB, with more than 60Gb FLACs, the remaining are all 320Kbps MP3.
All songs were accurately tagged, all relevant tags (ingluding ALBUMARTIST set to "Various Artists" for compilations) completely filled. All albumart embedded in songs, all of them resized to 600x600 px.
The correct tag organization is the first thing to do to ensure all these modern radios correctly index all songs and to avoid strange errors in searching or showing albums, artists or coverart.
The best way to transfer a library potentially greater than the size of your media is to use a music manager software (like iTunes, Mediamonkey, Winamp, etc.) supporting smart playlists. With smart playlists you can choose selection criteria for the songs/album/artists you want to bring with you in your car, leaving the software to dinamycally update your music selection while you update it in the time.
Then you can syncronize your smart playlist with your device, after choosing what action to do with file formats not supported by your radio (for instance, I choose to convert on-the-fly all FLACs included in the playlist to 256Kbps VBR MP3s). Usually other options are available, such us randomly choosing songs to transfer, or fixing a space cap not to be overridden.
I found out that Mediamonkey is the best softawre to sync with Apple devices, as it implement native iPod/iPhone support even for the latest iOS (at least, for the Gold version I paid for...)
On the converse, Mediamonkey has poor support for the SD card: it's not able to see it as a removable device, thus losing all the intelligent sync options.
I found MusicBee the best software to sync the SD card: it fully support intelligent syncing to the SD card, it's freeware and has a lot of options to manage tags and smart playlists (Mediamonkey has more in the payment version).
Incidentally, syncing to iPod classic still allowed me to fit my entire library. The smaller space available on the 128 GB SC Card (actually less than 116 GB), forced me to do some choices with the smart playlist I described above, that delivered almost 13,000 converted MP3s (original 320Kbps untouched, 256k VBR from FLAC conversion) on my card.
The transfer to SD card via MusicBee was slooooow: more than 13 hours to complete. In comparison, transfer to iPod classic via Mediamonkey was very fast: 4 hours for the entire 15000 songs library. I think Mediamonkey makes a better use of my multicore Intel i7 processor.
Once placed in the car, both devices are recognized very fast and I could start playing after 10/15 seconds from engine start. The total song count still continues to update for a few minutes.
Unitl now, I did't notice any difference in both device behaviour. Both work fine, searches and selections are apparently fast the same speed, all coverart are correctly displayed, the HK Summit radio sounds in a incredible manner (by far the best sound I ever had in more than 30 years of driving).
The only problem I'm still investigating is that while playing from the SD card, any incoming or outcoming phone call puts the song in pause, and I have to manually switch to the media panel and press the 'play' soft button at the end of each call.
With iPod playing, music automatically resumes when the call ends.
Sorry for the long post, I only hope I can help other people to better enjoy their music.