UConnect 16.16.13 - USB Drive Bug for Mac Users
So I updated my uConnect system last week on my 15' JGC Altitude and after some troubleshooting, I believe I discovered a bug that I haven't seen reported just yet.
1. If you have a Mac computer running OSX 10.10 or later, the system creates these "ghost" duplicate files that are used for indexing (specifically created for Spotlight/Finder). These files are generally a few kilobytes, and start of with a "._". Now even if you tell your Mac to show all hidden files, they are still not visible. They are only visible when you copy them over to a USB and insert it into a Windows PC.
2. AFTER the update 16.16.13, the uConnect system is now displaying these files are duplicates, and somehow causing the system to lock-up. Before the update, I had the exact same 128GB USB thumb drive plugged in and never had this issue.
3. If you plug-in that same USB into a Windows PC, you can see all the duplicate files and delete them (only if you allow your system to show hidden files). Once I tried that, I popped in the same USB into the uConnect and it no longer showed those files and my system never crashed.
4. The moment you plug in that USB into your Mac again, and add additional files (in my case, MP3's) then it will copy over these indexing duplicate files again. BTW..these duplicate files do nothing for a Windows PC, as they are only "needed" for Macs.
5. I refuse to have to plug-in my USB from a Mac BACK to a Windows PC to remove these files, every time I want to update my music on my USB drive so I came across a temporary solution. There is a program out there for Mac's called "Eject For Windows" that is free that you can find online. Its a very simple program that essentially wipes these tiny pesky duplicates as soon as you eject your USB from your Mac. I tried it and tested successfully.
Upon doing some reading, it seems some car info-systems do display these hidden files, and others don't. I was almost ready to want to revert back to the previous version that I had (15.17.5 and give up Siri), but after I found the cause and the temp solution, I'll hold off on it for now. Hopefully this gets addressed.........or maybe I'm the only one with this issue?