Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Audio/Visual/Navigation

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 10-20-2013, 07:51 PM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,050
Thanks: 309
Thanked 321 Times in 283 Posts
Rep Power: 1801515
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UConnect 8.4 - North America

Tom,

That was interesting. Since not everybody has the problem, and you have had it on multiple radios, could you be in a bad service area. I doubt they do a new software update every day, but if yours never complete it could retry every time you start the car.


If it was normal, I should call and complain that I'm not getting all the updates. I've only seen the message twice since March when I took delivery.

I probably don't need to say this, but ... keep us apprised.



---
__________________

__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...

... pull over to the side of the road!

Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-20-2013, 08:44 PM
MajorTom's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 352
Thanks: 10
Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 1559
MajorTom has a reputation beyond reputeMajorTom has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: UConnect 8.4 - North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_de View Post
Tom,

That was interesting. Since not everybody has the problem, and you have had it on multiple radios, could you be in a bad service area. I doubt they do a new software update every day, but if yours never complete it could retry every time you start the car.


If it was normal, I should call and complain that I'm not getting all the updates. I've only seen the message twice since March when I took delivery.

I probably don't need to say this, but ... keep us apprised.



---
They verified and as I live in eyesight of a SPRINT tower and we are solid RED coverage per uConnect, they and I both agree that I am in a full coverage area which is in agreement with the radio as I get all three bars no problem.

I drive 25 miles each way daily in the Indianapolis area and that is a top area for Sprint coverage as well ... one would think in 50 miles round trip it would have time to download all of the needed updates. Even after multiple days it should complete. We are going on the third day with errors every time I start (or in this case just place in run mode). 3 times at the dealership yesterday and 4 times today parked in the driveway.

I have a Sprint WIFI I use at home for work and it gets 5 full bars on 4G and in 3G if I force it there. Which, is what I would expect since I pretty much sit less than 1/4 mile from the antenna.
__________________

__________________


______________________________________
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Cashmere Pearl
Jeep Brown Interior - V6
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-20-2013, 09:44 PM
StaticFX's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 717
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 1175
StaticFX has a reputation beyond reputeStaticFX has a reputation beyond reputeStaticFX has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UConnect 8.4 - North America

there is NO WAY its a daily update. if this were ture, then you drive to work would be enough time to finish it. the new radios you have had installed, have they been 13.19 or greater or did you have to update it?

I was having that message a lot.. but the new radio reduced it and now its gone from the new update.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-20-2013, 09:48 PM
MajorTom's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 352
Thanks: 10
Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 1559
MajorTom has a reputation beyond reputeMajorTom has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticFX View Post
there is NO WAY its a daily update. if this were ture, then you drive to work would be enough time to finish it. the new radios you have had installed, have they been 13.19 or greater or did you have to update it? I was having that message a lot.. but the new radio reduced it and now its gone from the new update.
Not sure what it came with but it is 13.38.52 coming from the dealer when I picked it up. It was fine the first day except it could not register on the uConnect network. Friday evening it connected and then Saturday it started the phone needs service messages
__________________


______________________________________
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Cashmere Pearl
Jeep Brown Interior - V6
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-21-2013, 06:19 AM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,884
Thanks: 529
Thanked 854 Times in 468 Posts
Rep Power: 1927035
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: UConnect 8.4 - North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
Not sure what it came with but it is 13.38.52 coming from the dealer when I picked it up. It was fine the first day except it could not register on the uConnect network. Friday evening it connected and then Saturday it started the phone needs service messages
Tom, I would give it a day or two and if that phone requires service comes up again PM me and I think we should look at reloading the same update.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 202
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 656
schmieg is on a distinguished road
Re: UConnect 8.4 - North America

It's beginning to sound like the problem might be located in a different module from the radio itself.
__________________
--- Mike
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland, 3.6 Liter, OAII, Adv. Tech Group
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-21-2013, 11:50 AM
MajorTom's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 352
Thanks: 10
Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 1559
MajorTom has a reputation beyond reputeMajorTom has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willx View Post
Tom, I would give it a day or two and if that phone requires service comes up again PM me and I think we should look at reloading the same update.
Exactly my thoughts as well.
__________________


______________________________________
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Cashmere Pearl
Jeep Brown Interior - V6
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,884
Thanks: 529
Thanked 854 Times in 468 Posts
Rep Power: 1927035
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmieg View Post
It's beginning to sound like the problem might be located in a different module from the radio itself.
While not a bad theory... the service phone is either directly related to the module inside the radio or the antenna.

The only other issue is that the load didn't take for something completely.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-21-2013, 12:15 PM
MajorTom's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 352
Thanks: 10
Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 1559
MajorTom has a reputation beyond reputeMajorTom has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willx View Post
While not a bad theory... the service phone is either directly related to the module inside the radio or the antenna. The only other issue is that the load didn't take for something completely.
Pretty much ruled out the antenna as I can call and speak to the uconnect and Chrysler auto support on it with no issues. Always shows full connectivity as well. First full day of having it back the only issue was connecting to the uconnect servers. Once I was able to do that, the very next day I started getting the dreaded phone needs service message. Still getting it today (3 days in a row now). I guess if I do a reload and don't register it on the network for a few days I can verify if something on their network is the culprit.
__________________


______________________________________
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Cashmere Pearl
Jeep Brown Interior - V6
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,884
Thanks: 529
Thanked 854 Times in 468 Posts
Rep Power: 1927035
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post

Pretty much ruled out the antenna as I can call and speak to the uconnect and Chrysler auto support on it with no issues. Always shows full connectivity as well. First full day of having it back the only issue was connecting to the uconnect servers. Once I was able to do that, the very next day I started getting the dreaded phone needs service message. Still getting it today (3 days in a row now). I guess if I do a reload and don't register it on the network for a few days I can verify if something on their network is the culprit.
I was going to suggest something a little more aggressive. Like a factory reset, wait overnight then a reload of the software.

You will loose all you settings (mostly) but it is a good way to verify the update. UConnect would likely re-register after the update. It is more problematic with swaps.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 10-21-2013, 08:08 PM
MajorTom's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 352
Thanks: 10
Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 1559
MajorTom has a reputation beyond reputeMajorTom has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: UConnect 8.4 - North America

Chapter 2: uConnect support called me back this evening and had me do the full set to factory defaults. After the first total power down (open an close the door) we got the phone service required message. Went through the process again (he stated it took two full power cycles to do it correctly) and still got he phone needs service message at which time he said it had to go back to the service department. I suggested reloading the software but he doesn't think that will fix the issue. I did like seeing the SRT screen on the first boot. Just going to let it set tonight and wait for them to contact the dealer tomorrow. I already sent the dealer the ticket number and the tech's name if they want to call him. Have a ticket open with Chrysler Care also and they also say it needs to go back. Both have noted this is the third radio in this vehicle. 50 more miles on it today and no change. I expect to hear from the dealer tomorrow ... yeah. I may flash the radio tomorrow night just to say I gave it the old college try.
__________________


______________________________________
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Cashmere Pearl
Jeep Brown Interior - V6
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 10-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,884
Thanks: 529
Thanked 854 Times in 468 Posts
Rep Power: 1927035
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: UConnect 8.4 - North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
Chapter 2: uConnect support called me back this evening and had me do the full set to factory defaults. After the first total power down (open an close the door) we got the phone service required message. Went through the process again (he stated it took two full power cycles to do it correctly) and still got he phone needs service message at which time he said it had to go back to the service department. I suggested reloading the software but he doesn't think that will fix the issue. I did like seeing the SRT screen on the first boot. Just going to let it set tonight and wait for them to contact the dealer tomorrow. I already sent the dealer the ticket number and the tech's name if they want to call him. Have a ticket open with Chrysler Care also and they also say it needs to go back. Both have noted this is the third radio in this vehicle. 50 more miles on it today and no change. I expect to hear from the dealer tomorrow ... yeah. I may flash the radio tomorrow night just to say I gave it the old college try.

Seeing the SRT logo on the reboot and the wrong background is Normal. Reloading the software cannot hurt but your support agent is also possibly correct. A new radio may be required, I feel bad saying that but I also want to see this get resolved for you.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
uconnect

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Supplier for "import parts" in North America? suzieque Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust 2 01-02-2013 01:36 PM
Jeep Grand Cherokee to get 3.0L diesel V6 in North America by 2013 Thrumcap Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee 7 04-18-2011 08:48 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community