Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Tech Tips/DIY/How To

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #49  
Old 08-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Exposed's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 277
Exposed is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Summit Front Tow Hooks

Update.... Stop by the dealer at lunch today to check the status of the Jeep. I was told that they were waiting on some fittings. I would have thought the fittings would come on the harness but apparently not. So needless to say, the Jeep is not ready. I was not pleased and decided to push the issue some and ended up in the managers office. I was told that the price I was quoted still stands and regardless of what they have to do to make it right, they would eat anything over the price. That being said, I ask what they could do to provide me some wheels till they got it going. They decided if I would come in Monday morning they would rent me a car for the day and they would have the Jeep ready Monday evening. I think the manager decided they better get this done and not mess around. I was hoping to have it this weekend but not happening....

I stopped by parts department and replacement grille insert had come in. I also ordered all the skid plates from that place Silvermax suggested (FactoryChryslerParts.com). I called them yesterday since I had not heard on the delivery date. He said that they were just going to call me to tell my the order had been cancelled. I ask what was the deal. Apparently UPS has destroyed several of the shipping on the skid plates and customers have refused to accept. So they are disconnecting shipping some items that are not packaged well from the factory (like skid plates). You would think steel skid plates would be pretty safe to ship but I have heard stories about UPS... So, I ask the parts guy to price out the plates if he gets them. His price was actual $20 more than the Internet price. The offset in shipping cost offset his markup. I told him to go ahead and order.. He told me they had them in Dallas and he would have them tomorrow morning about 9:00 AM... Very cool and was excited except I don't have a Jeep to install on... .......

Okay moving on... I welded out the tow hooks today. I glass beaded them and now need to decide either paint. powder coat or chrome plating... Not for sure but with the cost of this project now, I am thinking couple coats of Rustoleum will do just fine. I will shoot some more pictures in the morning and post. I found some black powder coated shackles today and I think they will look good. I am thinking now I might find some trailer receivers that have our Jeep logo on them and keep mounted in the Jeep for city driving and then put tow hooks in when head to the mountains. Will wait and see how they look mounted before deciding which looks the best....

I have to admin, I probably have about $100 in materials in my receivers and tow hooks. The cost of my labor designing these is bunch more. But once you design one, it is pretty easy to replicate and build more. I will give that some thought if anyone is interested. I will create a AutoCAD drawing of it for my record and if someone else wants to build them, I would let them have a PDF of it. I also had another idea since I have the two receivers mounted to the frame, it would not take a lot to build a winch plate that would slid into the receivers for off-road excursions. I have a 8K winch on my CJ-5 that is made to be removed easily install in my toy hauler and considered using it on the Cherokee.

I also have the brand new set of tow hooks that have been extended 1-3/4" that I would love to sell to recoup some of my investment here. If you had a Cherokee other than Summit, they would fit fine. If anyone is interested, let me know otherwise they will end up in my steel scrap pile I keep...

More to come... Beginning to sound like a saga.....
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-03-2014, 06:19 AM
Exposed's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 277
Exposed is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Summit Front Tow Hooks

Well I got the new grille installed and without the Jeep to locate the holes to be cut, can't do it. On the other hand, I did decided to paint the tow hooks. Couple coats of primer and paint and they look good to me. I also took some more pictures and will post as well. Since I don't have the Jeep, not much else I could do except straighten up the shop. Will see how it goes tomorrow at the dealer....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeep-7.jpg (114.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep-8.jpg (92.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep-9.jpg (95.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep-10.jpg (95.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep-11.jpg (72.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep-13.jpg (91.6 KB, 35 views)
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 08-03-2014, 09:13 AM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,266
Thanks: 40
Thanked 96 Times in 77 Posts
Rep Power: 2444
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Summit Front Tow Hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Well I got the new grille installed and without the Jeep to locate the holes to be cut, can't do it. On the other hand, I did decided to paint the tow hooks. Couple coats of primer and paint and they look good to me. I also took some more pictures and will post as well. Since I don't have the Jeep, not much else I could do except straighten up the shop. Will see how it goes tomorrow at the dealer....
Nice Job looks good! Those are massive they would tow an 18 wheeler. Glad you went with black on them. cant wait to see the final product
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-03-2014, 01:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 15
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 351
TheSchwenkster is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Summit Front Tow Hooks

Looks good in black. Interested to know how well the paint holds up. Powder coating could always be done later but no need if this works well.


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 08-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Exposed's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 277
Exposed is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Summit Front Tow Hooks

When I restored the CJ-5, I did a lot of painting on suspension parts. I normally don't care for paint in a can for long term use... But, I find that properly putting on restoleum, it last... It seems that it is soft for the first couple of weeks (easy to scratch) but after a while, it gets hard, rock hard... I find this when I modify something steel I have paint couple years ago.. If it restoleum, it is easier to burn off than to sand or buff... You are correct, I think I can powder coat later if it is a problem... I went back out today and lightly sanded and applied two more coats.... That should take care of them.....

I sure hope to get the Jeep back tomorrow.. I have missed it being gone this week and not driving... Plus, I need to finish this job.. It has taken way too long......
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 08-07-2014, 04:59 AM
Exposed's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 277
Exposed is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Summit Front Tow Hooks

Well, I finally got the Jeep out of the shop Monday evening. I talked to a good while to the tech guy that did the work. He said the 5.5 hours he quoted was way off. Apparentley the service manual was not very clear on how many hours it takes to replace that hose harness. He did indicate probably more like 10 hours. The hose harness is ran below the electrical harness in the floor. The seats, carpet and everything on the passenger side must be removed to pull it out and replace. Anyway, the harness was $101 and another $70 in misc. stuff. The dealer also gave me a 10% off on service work so it ended up costing about $815 with taxes. A pretty expensive project that should never had been needed. I will build a piece of plate this weeked to protect these hoses from this happening again or having a blow out (tire separation, etc.). The wheel welds provide absolutely no protection to the nitrogen lines. I am sure many people will never have this happen but for sure it will cost alot to fix.....

Moving on, I got the new grille installed and lower fascia put back on Wednesday evening. It was pretty easy marking where the box met the inside of the grille shell. I marked and then removed. I originally used a dremel with a cut off wheel. This was quick but I found it melted the plastic and did not make a clean cut. I used the old grille and tried a medium tooth jig saw blade and ran slow on the cutting. It cut much cleaner with only some light filing to make it look good. It is not a big deal since the square plates cover all the cutout when installed. If you remove and did not put anything in the box reciever, would look fine to me. Probably replacing the clips are the worse part in the project. It is really tight and I found placing a 2x4 block to spread the fascia area where it is so tight, helped alot. Once you see how the fascia comes off, it takes just a few minutes to remove or put back on. I actually probably pulled on/off 8-9 times in fitting these tow hook plates. I did post some pictures below of the final look...

The rest of the skid plates came in Monday as well. While I had the Jeep up on ramps, decided to tackle the front half. Took a couple times fitting to see what would stay and what would go. Someone posted that the cardboard cover over the tranny pan and front driveshaft is really a joke compared to the build of the engine pan cover. Not for sure why they did not do something there. I am running out of time for vacation in September and will this fall build a cover to tie the engine pan cover to the tranfer case cover. I will have to be careful this trip since we are headed to Utah first before into Colorado. I forgot about that round disc rubbing about the exhaust. Took it out for a test drive and lots of new vibiration. I remember then about the disc ( I was thinking it was on the fuel tank plates). I am not for sure what that disc really does. Looking at the area where it was mounted, I could move over about 3" toward the center of the plate and there is already a hole that would allow it to be moved... Has anyone considered that ... I will work on the fuel plates tomorrow (off on Fridays)... Hopefully be complete with the Jeep other than changing oil before leaving on the trip this weekend....

The last picture was of the 2014 18" Unlimited Shara wheels. That is in park mode and you can see how they fill up the wheel weld. I can now verify that they clear even in deflated mode going down the road ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeep-15.jpg (140.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep-16.jpg (145.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep-17.jpg (142.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep-18.jpg (159.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep-20.jpg (125.1 KB, 72 views)
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Exposed For This Useful Post:
  #55  
Old 08-07-2014, 06:14 AM
FHLH's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: HouTX
Posts: 167
Thanks: 61
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 1169
FHLH has a reputation beyond reputeFHLH has a reputation beyond reputeFHLH has a reputation beyond reputeFHLH has a reputation beyond reputeFHLH has a reputation beyond reputeFHLH has a reputation beyond reputeFHLH has a reputation beyond reputeFHLH has a reputation beyond reputeFHLH has a reputation beyond reputeFHLH has a reputation beyond reputeFHLH has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 2014 Summit Front Tow Hooks

Amazing work! ---Can you replicate

And thanks for the 70th anniversary wheel pictures. You have sold me on finding a set. Looks as good as I had imagined.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
'00 Ram 2500 QCLB Cummins 6spd 4x4
'11 GLK350
'14 Grand Cherokee Summit EcoDiesel 4x4
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-07-2014, 06:32 AM
Exposed's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 277
Exposed is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Summit Front Tow Hooks

Thanks FHLH.... If you are in the Houston area, there were a bunch of wheel sets for sale on Craigslist. This was the only set of these I found but several sets of the standard aluminum wheels on the Unlimited Sahara for $800 and above... I liked them as well as the ones I bought... Definitely a better deal buying off Craigslist instead of buying aftermarket and new tires. The ones I bought only had about 50 miles on them....

I started a drawing on the tow hook setup.. Now since I have built a set, definitely would be easier second time around. I think since they don't stick out any further than the license plate, I will leave installed all the time. The way the front end is closed off, it takes a little time to access the pins for removal... Most people around here would not know they are not mounted to the frame like factory and not easliy stolen...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-07-2014, 10:21 AM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,266
Thanks: 40
Thanked 96 Times in 77 Posts
Rep Power: 2444
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Summit Front Tow Hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Well, I finally got the Jeep out of the shop Monday evening. I talked to a good while to the tech guy that did the work. He said the 5.5 hours he quoted was way off. Apparentley the service manual was not very clear on how many hours it takes to replace that hose harness. He did indicate probably more like 10 hours. The hose harness is ran below the electrical harness in the floor. The seats, carpet and everything on the passenger side must be removed to pull it out and replace. Anyway, the harness was $101 and another $70 in misc. stuff. The dealer also gave me a 10% off on service work so it ended up costing about $815 with taxes. A pretty expensive project that should never had been needed. I will build a piece of plate this weeked to protect these hoses from this happening again or having a blow out (tire separation, etc.). The wheel welds provide absolutely no protection to the nitrogen lines. I am sure many people will never have this happen but for sure it will cost alot to fix.....

Moving on, I got the new grille installed and lower fascia put back on Wednesday evening. It was pretty easy marking where the box met the inside of the grille shell. I marked and then removed. I originally used a dremel with a cut off wheel. This was quick but I found it melted the plastic and did not make a clean cut. I used the old grille and tried a medium tooth jig saw blade and ran slow on the cutting. It cut much cleaner with only some light filing to make it look good. It is not a big deal since the square plates cover all the cutout when installed. If you remove and did not put anything in the box reciever, would look fine to me. Probably replacing the clips are the worse part in the project. It is really tight and I found placing a 2x4 block to spread the fascia area where it is so tight, helped alot. Once you see how the fascia comes off, it takes just a few minutes to remove or put back on. I actually probably pulled on/off 8-9 times in fitting these tow hook plates. I did post some pictures below of the final look...

The rest of the skid plates came in Monday as well. While I had the Jeep up on ramps, decided to tackle the front half. Took a couple times fitting to see what would stay and what would go. Someone posted that the cardboard cover over the tranny pan and front driveshaft is really a joke compared to the build of the engine pan cover. Not for sure why they did not do something there. I am running out of time for vacation in September and will this fall build a cover to tie the engine pan cover to the tranfer case cover. I will have to be careful this trip since we are headed to Utah first before into Colorado. I forgot about that round disc rubbing about the exhaust. Took it out for a test drive and lots of new vibiration. I remember then about the disc ( I was thinking it was on the fuel tank plates). I am not for sure what that disc really does. Looking at the area where it was mounted, I could move over about 3" toward the center of the plate and there is already a hole that would allow it to be moved... Has anyone considered that ... I will work on the fuel plates tomorrow (off on Fridays)... Hopefully be complete with the Jeep other than changing oil before leaving on the trip this weekend....

The last picture was of the 2014 18" Unlimited Shara wheels. That is in park mode and you can see how they fill up the wheel weld. I can now verify that they clear even in deflated mode going down the road ..

Nice Job, looks good! you do great work with metal.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-09-2014, 06:14 AM
Exposed's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 277
Exposed is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Summit Front Tow Hooks

I finished installing the fuel tank skid plates yesterday. They were pretty easy and no issues. However, the fill nozzle hose (2" diameter) goes from the frame through an exposure of about 8" before going into the tank. Looks to me like that area should have a cover plate as well. Another one added to the list to build this fall when temperatures go down some. We have had a mild summer this year until last week, finally got hot.. Pretty hot in the shop working even with big 42" fan blowing..

Only thing lacking on finishing up the Jeep for the trip is the cover plate and replacing the factory wheel welds. The combination of larger diameter tires and lower section flopping in the breeze (my bad), the lower 12" was shredded from the tires. I bought a replacement set of these cheap cardboard carpet covered welds from the dealer ($100 both). What a rip off.. Or I thought.... Remove tires and started inspecting what was the project to do this. First thing I realized there are 3 different type/sizes of the plastic plugs/rivets. One is actually a plastic pop rivet (can't re-use). The other two are re-useable if careful removing. The difference is in the flat washer size. There are also about 6 sheet metal screws. I decided I would run over to the dealer and buy a box of these guys to make the project easier. The parts guy ask how many, I figured would get a box/bag of say 25 each flavor. Should be enough to do all of them on both sides... Then he said they sell them individually.. Immediately I figured that was not a good sign... Asked how much? Plastic pop rivets were $6.50 each, the other plastic push in ones where $5.50 each.. I about fell over on the counter. I asked him, "You Joking?" He said sorry no. I picked up my baggie with the three samples and told him thanks, I can do with out them. I can buy stainless steel screws, washers, and nuts and come out way cheaper than that. Will be careful on the one I can get to from behind. Got to thinking about it coming home and decided to stop at O'Reilly's since it is on the way home. They have some that were almost identical that were for GM. Two of them in a package was $1.20. So I bought all they had (4 packages) and figured I can make do with that... What a rip of at the dealer... I can't imagine these costing more than a couple pennies for the Chinese to make them.. Same with the wheel welds....

Will post later on how this goes today on coming up with a plate to cover the Quadra pump and tubing......
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-09-2014, 01:05 PM
Exposed's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 277
Exposed is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Summit Front Tow Hooks

Finishing up on the mods... I am sure most guys are tired of hearing about my modifications.. I guess I did stray a little off course but figured it was related.

This morning was to build a cover plate to cover the exposed nitrogen lines leaving the pump in the right wheel area. I also had purchased the wheel welds to replace the ones that were messed up before... I got lucky on the removal of the wheel welds. There are 4 plastic pop rivets that will be destroyed when removing. Two of them are pretty much non entry from the backside and reason I assume they used pop rivets. These I actually used a SS sheet metal screw. The two that are accessible on the back side, I decided to replace with a 8-32 SS bolts and washers. They worked fine. The rest of the fasteners came out without tearing them up and could re-use....

I attached some shots of the work today. The first two show the pump and hoses with the wheel weld removed. Pretty easy to access. Once again, without a plastic wire tie holding back, they would rub the tires without the wheel weld. The last two shots show the piece of aluminum plate I installed to cover the lines. I mounted to the wheel support around the opening and one sheet metal screw in a brace coming up the frame. Very secure and think will take care of these lines ever getting close to the wheel or wheel weld or in a tire separates the tread... This also got me to thinking if you were off-roading and lost your nitrogen. You are lowered an 1" or so below your park mode height. There is rubber bumpers to keep if from being metal against metal. If very rocky terrain, you would be in bad shape.... Anyway, I would strongly suggest some type of cover plate to protect you. I got through with the cover plate and put the new welds in. The other side took about 15 minutes to remove and install new one.

Hopefully this completes all the misc. stuff needed to do before vacation in 4 weeks. I do need to do the oil change before we leave....

thanks for all the comments......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeep-21.jpg (116.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep-22.jpg (125.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep-23.jpg (96.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep-24.jpg (104.7 KB, 50 views)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08-09-2014, 04:48 PM
netboy's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 312
Thanks: 36
Thanked 68 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 1002
netboy has a reputation beyond reputenetboy has a reputation beyond reputenetboy has a reputation beyond reputenetboy has a reputation beyond reputenetboy has a reputation beyond reputenetboy has a reputation beyond reputenetboy has a reputation beyond reputenetboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Summit Front Tow Hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
This morning was to build a cover plate to cover the exposed nitrogen lines leaving the pump in the right wheel area.
The amount of technology in the wheel wells is a real concern. I wonder if someone will eventually sell rugged WK2 wheel-well liners to replace the flimsy liners we have now.
__________________

__________________
Summit 4x4 Diesel, Black / Jeep Brown.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2014

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Summit no tow hooks BBrowning Interior/Exterior/Visual 25 10-05-2014 09:17 PM
14' Summit new tires and tow hooks h2obuff Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 25 09-24-2014 12:21 AM
Install front tow hooks on 2014 Limited hawada Interior/Exterior/Visual 5 01-28-2014 08:13 AM
Chrome Tow Hooks for 2012 Overland Summit skiprof@aol.com Interior/Exterior/Visual 12 02-22-2012 02:56 PM
Front Tow Hooks and Install NHWK05 Visual Modifications 12 08-20-2009 09:18 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.