Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Tech Tips/DIY/How To

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 12-24-2013, 05:52 AM
MoparKing's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 101
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 507
MoparKing is on a distinguished road
CHEAP Mod To Your Front Parking Lamps! (signals)

So I pretty much hated that the Amber parking lamps are always On with the head lights.
After some research I found that switching to single filament (ours are dual filament) would remove the parking lamps being on 24/7 with the headlights ON

So I bought some chrome single filament bulbs (the Ambers are ugly IMO) and I put them in and they work like a charm. The parking lamps only turn on when I use my turn signal. They are not on 24/7 with the headlights anymore.

The only negative thing was this particular bulbs light output. It wasn't very good compared to the stock bulbs but I can live with it.
For those that don't mind there Amber bulbs if you want to do this you can simply break 1 filament (strand of metal) off of your stock bulbs and it'll have the same effect.

I'm not responsible for any of your screw ups if you guys do lol. Just trying to help my fellow Jeep Garage friends out and saving us all money from not buying those ugly switch backs.

P.s sorry for the crappy phone pics, that's the best I got. Pics are of Stock vs Aftermarket, All with the head lights on. Happy Holidays!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0766.jpg (79.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0762j.jpg (65.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0765.jpg (74.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0764.jpg (68.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20131224_060312.jpg (246.9 KB, 73 views)
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 645
GCNY13 is on a distinguished road
Re: CHEAP Mod To Your Front Parking Lamps! (signals)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparKing View Post
So I pretty much hated that the Amber parking lamps are always On with the head lights.
After some research I found that switching to single filament (ours are dual filament) would remove the parking lamps being on 24/7 with the headlights ON

So I bought some chrome single filament bulbs (the Ambers are ugly IMO) and I put them in and they work like a charm. The parking lamps only turn on when I use my turn signal. They are not on 24/7 with the headlights anymore.

The only negative thing was this particular bulbs light output. It wasn't very good compared to the stock bulbs but I can live with it.
For those that don't mind there Amber bulbs if you want to do this you can simply break 1 filament (strand of metal) off of your stock bulbs and it'll have the same effect.

I'm not responsible for any of your screw ups if you guys do lol. Just trying to help my fellow Jeep Garage friends out and saving us all money from not buying those ugly switch backs.

P.s sorry for the crappy phone pics, that's the best I got. Pics are all with the head lights on. Happy Holidays!
Wow that looks so much cleaner, can you tell me where you bought the new bulbs from? How hard was the actual swap?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-24-2013, 11:55 AM
jeelo's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1803
jeelo is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: CHEAP Mod To Your Front Parking Lamps! (signals)

hmmmm, this looks really clean! I'm going to have to do it
__________________
'12 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X Pentastar
'08 Jeep Patriot North Edition FDI 4x4
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-24-2013, 02:24 PM
MoparKing's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 101
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 507
MoparKing is on a distinguished road
Re: CHEAP Mod To Your Front Parking Lamps! (signals)

QUOTE=BANQue;949803]Wow that looks so much cleaner, can you tell me where you bought the new bulbs from? How hard was the actual swap?[/QUOTE]

7440 7443 wy21w chrome bulb tail light turn signal parking brake backup

^ That's the exact page I bought the bulb. If you want what I did, order bulb 7440 SINGLE Filament. And where it says choose color obviously Amber.

I'm going to warn you that since this bulb is chrome it doesn't even have half of the light output of the stock bulb, but it works for me.

The swap isn't hard. The passenger side is easy, you just need to undo 2 5/16 bolts holding the coolant tank. The drivers side is a bit tricky. Here's a thread I just found on a simple search, I'm sure you can find more threads yourself.

Halogen headlight bulb replacment guide


I will gladly answer any questions if anyone is curious about anything
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-25-2013, 12:12 AM
Todd3.6's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 247
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 327644
Todd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CHEAP Mod To Your Front Parking Lamps! (signals)

Why not simply use a white/clear 7443 bulb?

You would have white light for a 'marker' when the headlights are on and then a white turn signal, which I believe would not get you in trouble with the local law enforcement (if they are even paying attention).

OR, you could go to a 'switchback' LED bulb, but you would need a resistor on the flash circuit to prevent fast blink issues.

iJDMTOY Switchback LED For Turn Signal Lights and Parking Lights
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-25-2013, 12:24 AM
MoparKing's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 101
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 507
MoparKing is on a distinguished road
Re: CHEAP Mod To Your Front Parking Lamps! (signals)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd3.6 View Post
Why not simply use a white/clear 7443 bulb?

You would have white light for a 'marker' when the headlights are on and then a white turn signal, which I believe would not get you in trouble with the local law enforcement (if they are even paying attention).

OR, you could go to a 'switchback' LED bulb, but you would need a resistor on the flash circuit to prevent fast blink issues.

iJDMTOY Switchback LED For Turn Signal Lights and Parking Lights
My point of this mod was to not have the "markers" on with the headlight, regardless of the color. This isn't a mod I put too much thought into, I like how it turned out, simple and cheap. I think the switch backs are expensive and cheesy, so I didn't want to go that route.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-28-2013, 02:16 AM
Todd3.6's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 247
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 327644
Todd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CHEAP Mod To Your Front Parking Lamps! (signals)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparKing View Post
My point of this mod was to not have the "markers" on with the headlight, regardless of the color. This isn't a mod I put too much thought into, I like how it turned out, simple and cheap. I think the switch backs are expensive and cheesy, so I didn't want to go that route.
I see.
I pointed out on a similar thread that you could have simply tested the wires on the light socket and pulled the connector for the marker light.

7443 (and 3057/3157) lights have 3 conductors. 1 for ground, 1 for marker, and 1 for turn/brake (depending on which end of the vehicle it's on). Use a volt meter to figure out which wire is the marker and then use a pick to slide the connector out of the plastic plug.

But your method works too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-02-2014, 07:11 PM
BF07's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 152
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 871
BF07 is on a distinguished road
Re: CHEAP Mod To Your Front Parking Lamps! (signals)

I actually like having the amber in the front, it adds contrast to the front end. Sometimes having too much of the same color can make things look 'dull' IMO.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DRL Mod Kit - DRLS stay on with turn signals alpha Interior/Exterior/Visual 12 07-27-2012 01:03 PM
WK Front Parking Light Delete Mod? lll2for3lll Interior/Exterior/Visual 13 02-18-2012 10:17 PM
How to: Delete WK Front Parking Lights...Free Mod! lll2for3lll Technical Tips/DIY/How-To 12 01-17-2012 10:17 PM
SRT Rear Fog Lights Hooked up and working as Parking, Brake & Turn Signals (Video) Robert Palmer Interior/Exterior/Visual 26 11-13-2011 08:03 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community