Re: Headlight angel eyes and led strip mod
Hey guys. Whipped up this mid yesterday. Be warned, it takes about 6 hours.
Here's my notes:
- NEVER BAKE THESE HEADLIGHTS!! These are perma-sealed like tail lights, meaning the plastic is fused to plastic. Heating them just makes the headlights laugh at you. I showed a couple pics where you can see that that they are fused.
- I cut them open with a Dremel. You can see how thin and straight the lines are. This is key for you need to re-seal the bad boys unless you're a fan of headlight condensation.
- Purchases the "glow rope" and "COB angel eyes" off ebay. The glow rope was a bad idea, if you're doing this, use EL Wire as it's smaller diameter, brighter and more flexible. The rope left me with few options, and hot glue wasn't helping me orient the rope the way I wanted.
- I painted all the chrome bits with satin black spray paint. I pulled off the reflectors prior to paint.
- I used super glue and hot glue to place the angel eye rings and led rope. I wanted to follow the contours of the plastic shroud but the glow rope didn't have the flexibility.
- Wires were pulled through the rubber diaphragm where the HID bulb goes.
- re sealed headlights with RTV silicone (grey) - bad idea!!! Get black or clear if possible. I think RTV only comes in black? I used RTV because Ive used it before on headlights and because it's purpose is to make seals.
- the black housing gives the angel eyes a purplish hue, but they're actually about a 6000k white.
- I wired the angel eyes to the drl and the led rope to the park lights/side reflector lights.
Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage