How To: Adapt spare tire storage tray for 32" tire - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Tech Tips/DIY/How To

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 06-30-2016, 11:17 AM
Shots's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: N.E.Ohio
Posts: 317
Thanks: 5
Thanked 94 Times in 72 Posts
Rep Power: 16318
Shots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation How To: Adapt spare tire storage tray for 32" tire

This isn't the fanciest how to, but may be worth while.

I recently upgraded my tires to 255/70/18, which is 32" instead of the stock 30" (265/50/20) tires. Along with this I also replaced the spare so it's the same size as the other tires, so I can use it if needed.
When doing this you'll lose the storage trays that nest into the gap between the tire and sides of the well. I didn't like giving up the convenience of the trays so I adapted them. This is how to do the same.

First to clarify terminology so you know what I'm talking about. If I refer to inboard, I'm talking about the edge nearest the tire when installed. Outboard is the edge along the walls of the spare tire well. Front is the part closer to driver when installed, and rear is the part next to the hatch. Inside is the part where your cargo goes, and outside is the part of the tray that touches the tire.

Okay, on to business. First lay out a line to cut. We'll be cutting the tray in half (not equal halves, so I guess cutting it in two rather than in "half"). The line I made starts on the front, 2 ribs from the outboard side (there are support ribs on the underside of the top lip). The line continued down the skinny portion of the tray to the bottom. I apparently didn't get a good shot of this, but you can see the tape (used to layout my initial lines) wrap around the corner. On the opposite end, the line started 5 ribs from the outboard side. This side can be seen much better in this image.



The line then continues approximately 1/2" from the inboard side along the bottom. I just followed the radius around from the initial vertical lines to connect the bottom and side lines.



I used a dremel style tool (actually B&D), with a cut-off blade. If you don't have one, letting it sit in the sun for a few minutes, and a sharp razor knife will cut it. I started to do it that way, but you have to take it slow that way, and knew I had a quicker tool available. Point is, you don't need a special tool if you're patient.
Anyway, follow the line around the tray, cutting it into two pieces. For some reason I didn't take a photo of that part. Oops.

Next overlap the two pieces so the inboard piece is sitting inside the outboard piece. Probably not a bad time to test fit to make sure you don't need to trim anything. Once you're sure they fit together, and fit into the hole, you can mount them together again.

I used zip ties for now, but will be replacing those with plastic rivets. Zip ties will work fine if you don't have a plastic rivet gun. With the two pieces of tray overlapped, and positioned so they form a tray again, make 5 holes through both pieces of tray (10 holes in 5 locations if you're using zip ties). I put one on each end, along the upper lip, and 3 along the bottom of the tray. The locations can be seen with the blue zip ties in the following photos.









If you're planning to leave the zip ties permanent, I'd probably use black ones, but I'm going to replace them with plastic rivets when I'm done, and the blue zip ties showed up better in pictures for the how-to thread.

Here's a shot of the try sitting in the spare tire well, with the 32" tire. The lid closes with no issues, and my stuff can now be stored in a convenient tray again (not touching a dirt tire).



As you can see these aren't cleaned up yet, and I plan on doing a little detail work to make them look better. I wanted to post this though for anyone who just wants a try again, and doesn't care if they're pretty.
I'm probably not going to do it right away, but I plan on filling the gap seen from the side view, trimming the top lip a bit more on the outboard piece to blend a bit better with the inboard piece. Once I'm done with the dress up work, I'll replace the zip ties with the more permanent rivets, but this should help guide some people on how to make their trays fit again with a slightly bigger than stock tire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cargo tray inside.jpg (376.9 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg Cargo tray layout wide.jpg (113.9 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg Cargo try bottom.jpg (102.0 KB, 454 views)
File Type: jpg Cargo try layout close.jpg (457.7 KB, 464 views)
File Type: jpg Cargo try bottom upside down.jpg (113.4 KB, 455 views)

__________________
The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. They would prefer the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, “Baa.”
Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog.
Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Shots For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-06-2016, 09:52 PM
Belto's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 342
Thanks: 20
Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 17644
Belto has a reputation beyond reputeBelto has a reputation beyond reputeBelto has a reputation beyond reputeBelto has a reputation beyond reputeBelto has a reputation beyond reputeBelto has a reputation beyond reputeBelto has a reputation beyond reputeBelto has a reputation beyond reputeBelto has a reputation beyond reputeBelto has a reputation beyond reputeBelto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How To: Adapt spare tire storage tray for 32" tire

clever¡ i like it, thanks


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Belto's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 342
Thanks: 20
Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 17644
Belto has a reputation beyond reputeBelto has a reputation beyond reputeBelto has a reputation beyond reputeBelto has a reputation beyond reputeBelto has a reputation beyond reputeBelto has a reputation beyond reputeBelto has a reputation beyond reputeBelto has a reputation beyond reputeBelto has a reputation beyond reputeBelto has a reputation beyond reputeBelto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How To: Adapt spare tire storage tray for 32" tire

if u use some hot glue or silicone or calking you can make it water tight.. good for ice for tailgating, atleast thats how i use them


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Belto For This Useful Post:
  #4  
Old 09-10-2016, 11:10 AM
Shots's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: N.E.Ohio
Posts: 317
Thanks: 5
Thanked 94 Times in 72 Posts
Rep Power: 16318
Shots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How To: Adapt spare tire storage tray for 32" tire

Yeah, that's the kinda what I was thinking too. I've been lazy (and it's too dang hot), but I plan on using an expanding foam to fill the gaps along the outside. Sand that smooth and paint it black for a smoother look.
Then add a bead of silicon along the seam on the inside of the tray, and a dab over the rivets. Not that I use them for anything special that needs to hold water, but I want it to be able to, just because I can.
As previously mentioned, I also intend to trim the top lip a bit to give it a more uniform transition from one "half" to the other. When I'm done it should basically be 1 solid tray again, just slightly narrower than it started.
As it is I just keep a hoodie, some work gloves and some random small tools in them.
__________________
The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. They would prefer the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, “Baa.”
Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-22-2016, 03:58 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 211
Thanks: 443
Thanked 92 Times in 64 Posts
Rep Power: 886
cwspy is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: How To: Adapt spare tire storage tray for 32" tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shots View Post
This isn't the fanciest how to, but may be worth while.

I recently upgraded my tires to 255/70/18, which is 32" instead of the stock 30" (265/50/20) tires. Along with this I also replaced the spare so it's the same size as the other tires, so I can use it if needed.
When doing this you'll lose the storage trays that nest into the gap between the tire and sides of the well. I didn't like giving up the convenience of the trays so I adapted them. This is how to do the same.

First to clarify terminology so you know what I'm talking about. If I refer to inboard, I'm talking about the edge nearest the tire when installed. Outboard is the edge along the walls of the spare tire well. Front is the part closer to driver when installed, and rear is the part next to the hatch. Inside is the part where your cargo goes, and outside is the part of the tray that touches the tire.

Okay, on to business. First lay out a line to cut. We'll be cutting the tray in half (not equal halves, so I guess cutting it in two rather than in "half"). The line I made starts on the front, 2 ribs from the outboard side (there are support ribs on the underside of the top lip). The line continued down the skinny portion of the tray to the bottom. I apparently didn't get a good shot of this, but you can see the tape (used to layout my initial lines) wrap around the corner. On the opposite end, the line started 5 ribs from the outboard side. This side can be seen much better in this image.



The line then continues approximately 1/2" from the inboard side along the bottom. I just followed the radius around from the initial vertical lines to connect the bottom and side lines.



I used a dremel style tool (actually B&D), with a cut-off blade. If you don't have one, letting it sit in the sun for a few minutes, and a sharp razor knife will cut it. I started to do it that way, but you have to take it slow that way, and knew I had a quicker tool available. Point is, you don't need a special tool if you're patient.
Anyway, follow the line around the tray, cutting it into two pieces. For some reason I didn't take a photo of that part. Oops.

Next overlap the two pieces so the inboard piece is sitting inside the outboard piece. Probably not a bad time to test fit to make sure you don't need to trim anything. Once you're sure they fit together, and fit into the hole, you can mount them together again.

I used zip ties for now, but will be replacing those with plastic rivets. Zip ties will work fine if you don't have a plastic rivet gun. With the two pieces of tray overlapped, and positioned so they form a tray again, make 5 holes through both pieces of tray (10 holes in 5 locations if you're using zip ties). I put one on each end, along the upper lip, and 3 along the bottom of the tray. The locations can be seen with the blue zip ties in the following photos.









If you're planning to leave the zip ties permanent, I'd probably use black ones, but I'm going to replace them with plastic rivets when I'm done, and the blue zip ties showed up better in pictures for the how-to thread.

Here's a shot of the try sitting in the spare tire well, with the 32" tire. The lid closes with no issues, and my stuff can now be stored in a convenient tray again (not touching a dirt tire).



As you can see these aren't cleaned up yet, and I plan on doing a little detail work to make them look better. I wanted to post this though for anyone who just wants a try again, and doesn't care if they're pretty.
I'm probably not going to do it right away, but I plan on filling the gap seen from the side view, trimming the top lip a bit more on the outboard piece to blend a bit better with the inboard piece. Once I'm done with the dress up work, I'll replace the zip ties with the more permanent rivets, but this should help guide some people on how to make their trays fit again with a slightly bigger than stock tire.

Thanks for sharing! I am very visual and this will make my transition to 18" wheels very easy.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-11-2016, 02:04 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Aviano AB, Italy
Posts: 222
Thanks: 1
Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 1166
volvite is on a distinguished road
Re: How To: Adapt spare tire storage tray for 32" tire

What kind of wheel and tires did you go to? I have some wrangler 32s and they don't sit flush on the bottom of the spare carrier. I end up having to flip the tire over and lose the middle jack holder.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-12-2016, 09:45 AM
Shots's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: N.E.Ohio
Posts: 317
Thanks: 5
Thanked 94 Times in 72 Posts
Rep Power: 16318
Shots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How To: Adapt spare tire storage tray for 32" tire

I'm using OEM Sahara rims, with BFG T/A KO2 tires. Though the spare seen in the photo is the original Sahara tire, which is a Bridgestone Dueler A/T. I swapped the tires that were originally on the JKU rims with the same size 255/70/18 (aka 32x10) though. Like yours they do not fit flush to the bottom of the spare tire well, which is why I also had to customize the jack holder.

I took the blade off my hacksaw, and trimmed the foam to make it fit. All I had to do was trim about 1" off the bottom of the tray, like this ↓↓↓


Then I took a little off the edge of the tray to fit the contour of the new rim, like this ↓↓↓


Now it fits nice and snug just like it was made for it. The tire fits under then floor, and tray fits inside the rim. I've got the jack, funnel, original suspension links, and spare tire center cap in the jack caddie. Here's a shot of it I took when I was almost done test fitting it. ↓↓↓


Here's a shot of my rim/tire combo.

__________________
The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. They would prefer the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, “Baa.”
Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shots For This Useful Post:
  #8  
Old 11-12-2016, 12:58 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Aviano AB, Italy
Posts: 222
Thanks: 1
Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 1166
volvite is on a distinguished road
Re: How To: Adapt spare tire storage tray for 32" tire

Thanks for the update. It looks great. Are you able to secure the tire down? I have the same rims and am looking to do what you've done.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-12-2016, 09:39 PM
WickedXJ's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North Vancouver, BC Canada
Posts: 258
Thanks: 11
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 4069
WickedXJ has a reputation beyond reputeWickedXJ has a reputation beyond reputeWickedXJ has a reputation beyond reputeWickedXJ has a reputation beyond reputeWickedXJ has a reputation beyond reputeWickedXJ has a reputation beyond reputeWickedXJ has a reputation beyond reputeWickedXJ has a reputation beyond reputeWickedXJ has a reputation beyond reputeWickedXJ has a reputation beyond reputeWickedXJ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How To: Adapt spare tire storage tray for 32" tire

Hey guys. I finally got around to doing this today with my Rubi takeoffs. Got the wheel in without trays and the cover does close flush again. Haven't trimmed the bins yet.

Problem is going from an 18" spare to a 17" I cannot fit the foam insert with the jack and lug nut wrench. Can't even fit the jack on its own... not sure what I should do now....
__________________
2011 WK2 RRO 2.5" lift
ORA 1, Security & Convenience Group, Tow package
275/65/18 Duratracs, Procomp 7036 Wheels
2014 HID/LED headlights
Auto HVAC, 430n, lockpick, rear view camera, some plastidip...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-12-2016, 10:27 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 211
Thanks: 443
Thanked 92 Times in 64 Posts
Rep Power: 886
cwspy is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: How To: Adapt spare tire storage tray for 32" tire

Shots,

Love your signature quote!!
__________________
Current: 2017 Overland V6 with everything except the appearance packages - yes, even the CD!
On light duty (on profile) - 99 Laredo - has over 220,000 miles on it's inline 6!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-13-2016, 10:12 AM
Shots's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: N.E.Ohio
Posts: 317
Thanks: 5
Thanked 94 Times in 72 Posts
Rep Power: 16318
Shots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How To: Adapt spare tire storage tray for 32" tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvite View Post
Thanks for the update. It looks great. Are you able to secure the tire down? I have the same rims and am looking to do what you've done.
Yes the original threaded rod does screw down, however it doesn't thread in very far (only about 1.5 turns of thread engagement). If you want a little better grip you could also adapt that. I've sorted out how to do it, I just haven't done it yet since it is currently secure though it could be a little better.
If you want to adapt the mounting stud, here's what I came up with.
Buy a small length of threaded rod (same size as the original stud).
Something like this ↓↓

Buy a threaded coupling that is the same size as the new/old threads. It looks something like this ↓↓

With those in hand, simply trim the original stud very close to the big plastic wing on top (leaving only about 1/2 a coupling length). Screw the coupling onto that stud, jamming it against the wing, and securing it with some LockTite.
Then screw the threaded rod into the coupling, jamming it against the original stud, and securing it with LockTite.
If you trim the new rod to the proper length, you should be able to make it so it's essentially a longer version of the original stud.
If I get around to doing it, I'll post some actual photos, and details on what I did, but that's the general idea if your tire won't screw down.
__________________
The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. They would prefer the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, “Baa.”
Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-13-2016, 10:51 AM
Shots's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: N.E.Ohio
Posts: 317
Thanks: 5
Thanked 94 Times in 72 Posts
Rep Power: 16318
Shots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How To: Adapt spare tire storage tray for 32" tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedXJ View Post
Hey guys. I finally got around to doing this today with my Rubi takeoffs. Got the wheel in without trays and the cover does close flush again. Haven't trimmed the bins yet.

Problem is going from an 18" spare to a 17" I cannot fit the foam insert with the jack and lug nut wrench. Can't even fit the jack on its own... not sure what I should do now....
I don't think there is a try for the 17's. The JK/JKU mount the spare on the rear hatch, so they won't have a tray. The WK2 uses 18's so the tray is much bigger than you need. I guess you could check to see if there is a caddie for the WK, since there may have been trims that used 17's on it.
In the mean time, a bottle jack should be compact enough to fit inside the 17" spare if you want to keep everything together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwspy View Post
Shots,

Love your signature quote!!
Thanks. I wish I could take credit for it, but that's an except from Ret. LTC Grossman. It was trimmed to fit the limitations of the signature. The more complete version reads:
".... The sheep generally do no like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed. The world cannot work any other way. At least not in a representative democracy or a republic such as ours. Still the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land. They would prefer that he didn't tell them where to go, or give them traffic tickets, or stand at the ready in our airports in camouflage fatigues holding an M-16. The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go "baa". Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hid behind one lonely sheepdog. ..."
Earlier in the book he refers to the public as sheep, or kind gentle contributing member of society. He refers to police (and military) as sheepdog, or those who are capable of violence but have compassion empathy and no intent of harm to the public (aka flock). And the wolves are the criminals who would prey on the public at large.
It is a simplistic view, and obviously flaws can be pointed out, but seems to be pretty relate-able in general. After all, how many of us actually WANT a cop standing there watching us? Not many, just like a sheep doesn't WANT a dog standing there watching it. However, if a wolf shows up (or threat of any kind for that matter), the sheep will quickly get behind that one dog.
__________________
The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. They would prefer the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, “Baa.”
Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shots For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full size spare is not "right" size spare quinby1 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 27 03-24-2015 10:44 PM
Spare Tire Storage Ideas dslippy Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 3 04-04-2014 09:51 AM
If you have a "spare" minute check out my spare tire cover. Broomecar Wrangler-YJ, TJ & JK 0 03-26-2012 05:22 PM
So...Rechargeable Flashlight + Xtra Storage = No Spare Rim? Jpjr Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 63 04-11-2011 06:41 PM
10" Fiberglass Enclosure - WK Cargo Tray JETLIFE Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications 26 09-29-2009 04:40 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.