Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Tech Tips/DIY/How To

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 03-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Polak's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jersey
Posts: 56
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1336
Polak is on a distinguished road
Re: How-To: Fog light HID kit in 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (pic heavy)

You don't happen to have any pictures of the bulbs in the fog light housing, do you?

Did you have to modify the fogs or the caps in the back of the fogs?
__________________

__________________
Still looking for: 2011 Overland Blackberry or Brilliant Black / New Saddle / 730N RHR / V8
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 182
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1513
pbalias has a reputation beyond reputepbalias has a reputation beyond reputepbalias has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How-To: Fog light HID kit in 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (pic heavy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonDepot View Post
Wow.. Thank you so much for taking the time to put together such a detailed review of the product. I'm sure that many forum members will be using this when installing an HID kit in their fog lights.

I'm trying to remember. Did you purchase a 5000k Xtreme HID kit or a 4300k Xtreme HID kit?

For those interested in this kit, make sure to use coupon code "JG" upon checkout to save $25 on your order. You will also get free shipping for a limited time on the Xtreme HID kit within the continental USA.

Steve
Hey Steve..I purchased the 4300K. You and I have spoken on the phone a couple times about that little issue I had, remember?


Polak...I don't have any pics of the bulbs INSIDE the fog light housing, but I guess I could snap one.

There is NO modification to the fog light housing whatsoever. The only modification necessary for the HID bulb to fit correctly is to shave off the little tabs, as explained in the write-up.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-23-2011, 06:10 PM
RageOfFury's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,371
Thanks: 97
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Rep Power: 11186
RageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond reputeRageOfFury has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How-To: Fog light HID kit in 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (pic heavy)

Fantastic writeup!

I had no idea how complicated it was to convert the fogs to HID. WOW!
__________________
2011 WK2 Laredo E V6 4x4
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 182
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1513
pbalias has a reputation beyond reputepbalias has a reputation beyond reputepbalias has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How-To: Fog light HID kit in 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (pic heavy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonDepot View Post
Wow.. Thank you so much for taking the time to put together such a detailed review of the product. I'm sure that many forum members will be using this when installing an HID kit in their fog lights.

I'm trying to remember. Did you purchase a 5000k Xtreme HID kit or a 4300k Xtreme HID kit?

For those interested in this kit, make sure to use coupon code "JG" upon checkout to save $25 on your order. You will also get free shipping for a limited time on the Xtreme HID kit within the continental USA.

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageOfFury View Post
Fantastic writeup!

I had no idea how complicated it was to convert the fogs to HID. WOW!
Not complicated at all...I'm just super anal about wiring things up nice and tight. There are other members on here who did the install without taking the bumper off and by tapping into power and ground wires.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-24-2011, 10:13 AM
XenonDepot's Avatar
Premium Vendor
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,764
Thanks: 3
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 295961
XenonDepot has a reputation beyond reputeXenonDepot has a reputation beyond reputeXenonDepot has a reputation beyond reputeXenonDepot has a reputation beyond reputeXenonDepot has a reputation beyond reputeXenonDepot has a reputation beyond reputeXenonDepot has a reputation beyond reputeXenonDepot has a reputation beyond reputeXenonDepot has a reputation beyond reputeXenonDepot has a reputation beyond reputeXenonDepot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How-To: Fog light HID kit in 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (pic heavy)

pbalias - I certainly do! I just didn't realize you posted this already :-)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 182
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1444
vikingdave is on a distinguished road
Re: How-To: Fog light HID kit in 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (pic heavy)

Can you leave these on when other traffic is coming towards you, or do they tend to be so bright that everyone will flash you if you do this ? I would love to have the extra brightness, but probably wouldn't do it if I couldn't just leave them on at night.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vikingdave For This Useful Post:
  #31  
Old 03-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 545
Thanks: 13
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1981
netcoolery has a reputation beyond reputenetcoolery has a reputation beyond reputenetcoolery has a reputation beyond reputenetcoolery has a reputation beyond reputenetcoolery has a reputation beyond reputenetcoolery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How-To: Fog light HID kit in 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (pic heavy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingdave View Post
Can you leave these on when other traffic is coming towards you, or do they tend to be so bright that everyone will flash you if you do this ? I would love to have the extra brightness, but probably wouldn't do it if I couldn't just leave them on at night.
If conditions are normal (not foggy) don't do it! Don't use your fog lights (HID or normal) when there is oncoming traffic. Now ... off road that's a different story. Someone could also make a case for use in an extremely rural setting (like a forest service road) where's there's lot's o critters and a very low chance of encountering someone coming the other way.
__________________
2011 Overland Summit
Rugged Brown
Off Road Group II
Michelin LTX A/T2
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 182
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1513
pbalias has a reputation beyond reputepbalias has a reputation beyond reputepbalias has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How-To: Fog light HID kit in 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (pic heavy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by netcoolery View Post
If conditions are normal (not foggy) don't do it! Don't use your fog lights (HID or normal) when there is oncoming traffic. Now ... off road that's a different story. Someone could also make a case for use in an extremely rural setting (like a forest service road) where's there's lot's o critters and a very low chance of encountering someone coming the other way.
I don't see why not. Look at the beam pattern in the pictures I posted, the fog lights light-up the area BELOW the beam cut-off of the headlights. I measured the hot spot of the beam pattern versus the actual level of the fog lights, and there seems to be no rise. The fog lights don't point upwards, so I don't see why it would bother on-coming drivers.

I always use the fog lights at night, and have not had a single person flash me or complain otherwise. One night, I turned the fog lights and headlights on, exited the Jeep, and walked about 100 yards down the street to see how the light looks from far away. Nothing obtrusive about the fog lights AT ALL, not any more than the headlights themselves.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 545
Thanks: 13
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1981
netcoolery has a reputation beyond reputenetcoolery has a reputation beyond reputenetcoolery has a reputation beyond reputenetcoolery has a reputation beyond reputenetcoolery has a reputation beyond reputenetcoolery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How-To: Fog light HID kit in 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (pic heavy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbalias View Post
I don't see why not. Look at the beam pattern in the pictures I posted, the fog lights light-up the area BELOW the beam cut-off of the headlights. I measured the hot spot of the beam pattern versus the actual level of the fog lights, and there seems to be no rise. The fog lights don't point upwards, so I don't see why it would bother on-coming drivers.

I always use the fog lights at night, and have not had a single person flash me or complain otherwise. One night, I turned the fog lights and headlights on, exited the Jeep, and walked about 100 yards down the street to see how the light looks from far away. Nothing obtrusive about the fog lights AT ALL, not any more than the headlights themselves.
There's a patchwork of laws about this - in some states you would be in violation. A little googling will tell you that a lot of people are confused about when to use them and what laws apply!

Although they do not point directly at the eyes of oncoming traffic, they do contribute to the total amount of light (through reflection and dispersion) coming from you at oncoming drivers. Bluntly put - it's rude to use them on an ordinary highway with frequent two-way traffic.

As always, good judgment should prevail. On a poorly lit, lightly traveled road I have no problem with someone coming the other direction using their fogs (although I do look away to preserve my night vision, just like I do when someone either leaves their high beams on or has misadjusted lamps.)
__________________
2011 Overland Summit
Rugged Brown
Off Road Group II
Michelin LTX A/T2
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-10-2011, 07:00 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Bee871 is on a distinguished road
Re: How-To: Fog light HID kit in 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (pic heavy)

Would you still have the original fog light connectors?...I Need Them
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-18-2011, 10:28 AM
TOW1053's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.8L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Westchester,New York
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1248
TOW1053 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TOW1053
Re: How-To: Fog light HID kit in 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (pic heavy)

Thank you for taking time in explaining in detail with photo's . Installing my HID's today and my Summit grille. Great tutorial.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 182
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1513
pbalias has a reputation beyond reputepbalias has a reputation beyond reputepbalias has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How-To: Fog light HID kit in 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (pic heavy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOW1053 View Post
Thank you for taking time in explaining in detail with photo's . Installing my HID's today and my Summit grille. Great tutorial.

Great...where'd you buy the HID kit? Let us know how it turned out. You'll be happy!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to-2008 OEM Jeep Grand Cherokee HID headlights on an 05-07 Scottina06 Technical Tips/DIY/How-To 122 11-18-2012 03:10 PM
Just got my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee sleepy93 Members Rides 28 10-27-2011 12:53 AM
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee mangoe Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 4 07-06-2010 09:56 AM
HID kit on fog lights... maxst2 Grand Cherokee - WK 7 04-18-2010 08:27 PM
2011 Grand Cherokee/jeep future info on CNBC-Jeep ceo Scottina06 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 6 04-01-2010 05:45 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community