Originally Posted by JEEF
K-40 RL360. I had a original K-40 for 5yrs and it was great. The RL360 is new and made to deal with adaptive cruise control and blind spot monitoring. It allows me to turn off certain bands if they conflict with the the ACC or blind spot monitoring. However there are no conflicts. I would think the original K-40 will work just fine also. Those LED's are red.
The bad news is they are expensive but I bought it at the same time I bought the WK2 and I just considered it another option I added to the total cost.
You can only buy a new one from a approved installer from the K-40 website. I did some research and found out some of the approved installers outsource the work. Make sure you deal with the actual person that installs it and you can save some money. Plus you can go back and have them tweak it if you need. For example my LED lights were so bright it was annoying at night. I went back and the installer painted the lights black and now they are perfect.
Whatever they quote you make sure you say you thought they were cheaper and tell them you want to think about it. You will be shocked how much they come down.
Also the rear radar is wonderful! It has slowed me down countless times only to have a cruiser pass me minutes later. I love it. I feel better making those county road passes. It's very easy to go from 50mph to 80mph while passing with a Hemi. (kinda fun too
If you have any more questions I am happy to answer.
I have a few Q's, as I'm taking delivery of my Summit in the next few weeks. I've been focusing on the engine/exhaust and some other areas. This was recently added to my list, but I haven't called the K-40 folks yet.
- How much all in should I expect to pay for this? (gear + install).
- Is it true that K-40 is fairly ineffective against Laser? Not a deal stopper, as I don't know what actually works against Laser. ( see link :
- Just from quick reading, I thought I read that the system let's you "mark" spots real time with a FOB device, essentially making the system beneficial over time (assuming the police hang out in the same spots, etc.)?? Is this true? This would be pretty cool...98% of the time, I drive within a 30 mile radius, and a system that is helpful against impromptu radar/laser is great, but for the system to remember prior spots and gently remind me of previous encounters regardless of an actual police hanging out at that time...would be great...and condition better behavior.
- How is this integrated, if at all, with existing Navigation? (in my case, it will be 730N RHR).
- Any other pro's/con's/pitfalls etc. that would be relevant given a WK2 install? I read your info above re: adaptive, etc.
I'll weigh your response higher than my calls to the company. There are few people that have this system, fewer that have it with a WK2. Other areas are higher on my radar (no pun intended) right now, and I understand that no detection system is guaranteed 100%. But I am going to fill/kill this idea in the next week or so.