Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #121  
Old 11-16-2012, 05:37 AM
hrthsv's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Coffs Harbour NSW AUS
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 688
hrthsv is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeyWKCRD View Post
How much did they quote you for the JGC CRD chip?
Last time I checked the retail was still $999 for the standard one, I buy them cheaper but there isn't alot in them, certainly nothing like the $500 - $600 in the other popular brands sold here.

They also have a catch can which removes the oil from the PCV system prior to it entering the intake, I'll be fitting one of those as well. Recirculated oil into the intake causes excessive carbon build up and loss of performance due to the oil vapour reducing the ignition of the fuel. This stuff has been used in petrols for years.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 11-16-2012, 06:55 AM
savvas's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 658
Thanks: 26
Thanked 32 Times in 27 Posts
Rep Power: 164133
savvas has a reputation beyond reputesavvas has a reputation beyond reputesavvas has a reputation beyond reputesavvas has a reputation beyond reputesavvas has a reputation beyond reputesavvas has a reputation beyond reputesavvas has a reputation beyond reputesavvas has a reputation beyond reputesavvas has a reputation beyond reputesavvas has a reputation beyond reputesavvas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrthsv View Post
They do go very well but lets put it in persepctive, SV6 Commodore and Eco Boost 4cyl turbo Falcon are both in the 6's 0-100 and an IX 35 Hyundai TD can match the 8.2s 0-100. Sorry guys hardly high end cars.
True ... but none of the above weigh 2.3 tonnes either.

I'm also interested in putting on a catch can both on the GC, and our Audi TT. The thought of oil through the intake tract and turbo does worry me a bit. Any thoughts on what you might put in?
__________________

__________________
Savvas

2012 True Blue Laredo CRD
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 11-16-2012, 06:00 PM
hrthsv's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Coffs Harbour NSW AUS
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 688
hrthsv is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvas View Post
True ... but none of the above weigh 2.3 tonnes either.

I'm also interested in putting on a catch can both on the GC, and our Audi TT. The thought of oil through the intake tract and turbo does worry me a bit. Any thoughts on what you might put in?

This is the one that Chip It are selling, they aren't selling them with the hoses though, they are black plastic construction which wouldn't look out of place under the bonnet. The filter is replaceable but is $82, however in saying that I think you could be assured of not getting any oil back in the intake. The Exhaust Gas Recirculation heat burns some of the oil in the intake and slowly carbons it up.

Air Filters, Oil Filters, Fuel Filters & Filter Cleaning Services - Western Filters offers a range of Filter products for comprehensive coverage for on-highway, off-highway, construction, agricultural, industrial, genset, lift trucks and marine equip
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 11-17-2012, 04:07 AM
BobT's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,673
Thanks: 521
Thanked 67 Times in 59 Posts
Rep Power: 73502
BobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvas View Post
I'm also interested in putting on a catch can both on the GC, and our Audi TT. The thought of oil through the intake tract and turbo does worry me a bit. Any thoughts on what you might put in?
If Audi thought you needed a catch can, you can be sure you would have one particularly in your TT. There is nothing wrong with a bit of oil in your intake. Think of it as free upper cylinder lubricant. Some 2-stroke engines inject oil into the intake. Diesel fuel lies somewhere between kerosene and lubricating oil so it is almost oil itself. The after market suppliers would have you believe that they are a must-have because racers use them. Racers use them only to avoid the blow-by of their high powered engines contaminating the race track with oil.
__________________
Ordered 9 Nov 2011 - Delivered 3:30pm Friday 13 April 2012
Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3L CRD, Black Forest Green Pearl, Quadra-lift, Off-road Adventure II, Front Recovery Hook, Mopar Tow Bar, Mopar Rock Rails, 150A Projecta Battery Isolator, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Bridgestone D697 265/60R18 LT, Kimberley Kamper Special Edition
MudMap M7 off/on road sat nav, Chief front recovery hooks "chrome", Chief 3mm bash plate
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 11-17-2012, 04:52 AM
hrthsv's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Coffs Harbour NSW AUS
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 688
hrthsv is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobT View Post
If Audi thought you needed a catch can, you can be sure you would have one particularly in your TT. There is nothing wrong with a bit of oil in your intake. Think of it as free upper cylinder lubricant. Some 2-stroke engines inject oil into the intake. Diesel fuel lies somewhere between kerosene and lubricating oil so it is almost oil itself. The after market suppliers would have you believe that they are a must-have because racers use them. Racers use them only to avoid the blow-by of their high powered engines contaminating the race track with oil.

So what do you base that on?, have you ever heard of Exhaust Gas Recirculation, all new diesels run it, a % of hot exhaust gas gets recirculated back through the intake system, when combined with the oil from the Positive Crankcase Ventilation systems that most engines use, oil and hot exhaust gases burn and create carbon in the inlet. Plenty of people smarter than you and I have proven this point. Now I haven't studdied the Jeep yet but I am sure it would use the same.

In relation to all Holden/Chev V8's since the late 90's catch cans are run by owners who are llooking for the best performance, to keep the oil from the PCV system (which is sealed) entering the inlet manfiold and then entering the combustion chamber where it reduces the octance rating of the fuel, ie less power. I have removed a number of throttle bodies and inlet manifolds on such engines without catch cans and seen the oil in the inlet manifold myself. I am of the understadning the T/D engines breath more oil than there petrol cousins, there in lies the issue. I have seen a cut away of the inlet manfold on a 60k km engine, i have the pics I'll try and figure out how to up load them.

In racing engines you are correct unlike road registrable vehicles they generally don't run sealed PCV systems and run large catch cans to collect the oil. However some are road registered and still run the sealed PCV system with the catch can is run for the reasons I suggested, I know I have one.

2 strokes use the oil for cylinder lubrication, they need it. Pull the head off a 2 stroke and have a look at the carbon build up.

I don't profess to know everything about this and am cetainly no expert, but I do know there are benefits to a catch can, I have one on 2 late model V8's and they collect oil.

Nobody is making you buy one, and I certainly am not getting any benefit from saying they are a good idea.

Everybody should do there own research.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 11-17-2012, 02:52 PM
allypally's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NW Sydney
Posts: 2,160
Thanks: 24
Thanked 125 Times in 104 Posts
Rep Power: 55563
allypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrthsv View Post
So what do you base that on?, have you ever heard of Exhaust Gas Recirculation, all new diesels run it, a % of hot exhaust gas gets recirculated back through the intake system, when combined with the oil from the Positive Crankcase Ventilation systems that most engines use, oil and hot exhaust gases burn and create carbon in the inlet. Plenty of people smarter than you and I have proven this point. Now I haven't studdied the Jeep yet but I am sure it would use the same.

In relation to all Holden/Chev V8's since the late 90's catch cans are run by owners who are llooking for the best performance, to keep the oil from the PCV system (which is sealed) entering the inlet manfiold and then entering the combustion chamber where it reduces the octance rating of the fuel, ie less power. I have removed a number of throttle bodies and inlet manifolds on such engines without catch cans and seen the oil in the inlet manifold myself. I am of the understadning the T/D engines breath more oil than there petrol cousins, there in lies the issue. I have seen a cut away of the inlet manfold on a 60k km engine, i have the pics I'll try and figure out how to up load them.

In racing engines you are correct unlike road registrable vehicles they generally don't run sealed PCV systems and run large catch cans to collect the oil. However some are road registered and still run the sealed PCV system with the catch can is run for the reasons I suggested, I know I have one.

2 strokes use the oil for cylinder lubrication, they need it. Pull the head off a 2 stroke and have a look at the carbon build up.

I don't profess to know everything about this and am cetainly no expert, but I do know there are benefits to a catch can, I have one on 2 late model V8's and they collect oil.

Nobody is making you buy one, and I certainly am not getting any benefit from saying they are a good idea.

Everybody should do there own research.
Although I do not disagree with your argument, you have made a couple of comments, one of which I feel is a little presumptuous.
You do not know Bob, so I do not feel you are in a position to access his smartness. You also admin that "You don't know everything"
You are entitled to make comment and even statements, but please do not attempt to insult other persons commenting on your thread. Please try to understand everyone has an opinion, and are entitled to be heard. Please respond in a civil manner.
__________________
MY12 Overland CRD
Cherry Red
Saddle Interior.
Front Recovery Hook.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allypally For This Useful Post:
  #127  
Old 11-17-2012, 04:54 PM
hrthsv's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Coffs Harbour NSW AUS
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 688
hrthsv is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allypally View Post
Although I do not disagree with your argument, you have made a couple of comments, one of which I feel is a little presumptuous.
You do not know Bob, so I do not feel you are in a position to access his smartness. You also admin that "You don't know everything"
You are entitled to make comment and even statements, but please do not attempt to insult other persons commenting on your thread. Please try to understand everyone has an opinion, and are entitled to be heard. Please respond in a civil manner.
I think my reply was taken out of context, and was, I thought civil, if not I am sorry.

Your right I don't know Bob but the comments he made, were in my opinion misleading and a direct result of something I had raised in an earlier post, which I thought suggestted my info was incorrect. The smartness comment was not aimed at offending anyone (including myself) but to me the comments made don't show an appreciation for the 'topic' at hand. Bit like me commenting on cause and effect for open heart surgery, or foundations for pylons for the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

I was trying to help with researched and first hand technical info in a field I have some knowledge. Probably best I just keep quiet and read.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 11-18-2012, 01:26 AM
yoda42's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Darwin Australia
Posts: 358
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 1650
yoda42 has a reputation beyond reputeyoda42 has a reputation beyond reputeyoda42 has a reputation beyond reputeyoda42 has a reputation beyond reputeyoda42 has a reputation beyond reputeyoda42 has a reputation beyond reputeyoda42 has a reputation beyond reputeyoda42 has a reputation beyond reputeyoda42 has a reputation beyond reputeyoda42 has a reputation beyond repute
People need to keep in mind that Mr Audi and other car makers are trying to make their product as cheaply as possible so as to make as much profit as possible in their market segment!
Oil entering the intake side of an engine Will contribute to carbon build up
There are safe power and torque gains to be had with after market products and a catch can is one of these
These engines are mass produced and the car makers choose a tune that will run with all the little imperfections that occur in mass produced products
They also like to leave some fat so they can up the power down the line when they do a mid life refresh of a model
I have just fitted a catch can to my WK2 CRD, (due to the oil I have seen in the intake pipe , while this is quite normal for any turbo diesel, it will in the long term reduce the performance of the engine)
Adding a catch can Will help reduce carbon build up and keep your engine performing its best for longer
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo CRD & Aussieswag Rover LX Campertrailer
www.travelswithbeagles.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 11-21-2012, 06:51 PM
mm1964's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 209
Thanks: 36
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1164
mm1964 is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvas View Post
Not just you ...
Same same but 'trying' to control it.
__________________
MY2013 Overland 3.0 CRD In Mineral Grey
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 11-22-2012, 03:26 PM
zzkazu's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canberra, ACT
Posts: 412
Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1656
zzkazu has a reputation beyond reputezzkazu has a reputation beyond reputezzkazu has a reputation beyond reputezzkazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

yoda any more information on the catch can you fitted?

Elsewhere on the site the V8 guys are using this type..

http://www.custombilletstore.com/product_p/20111.htm. I've asked the oem whether it would suite the Diesel variant..
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 11-22-2012, 05:01 PM
savvas's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 658
Thanks: 26
Thanked 32 Times in 27 Posts
Rep Power: 164133
savvas has a reputation beyond reputesavvas has a reputation beyond reputesavvas has a reputation beyond reputesavvas has a reputation beyond reputesavvas has a reputation beyond reputesavvas has a reputation beyond reputesavvas has a reputation beyond reputesavvas has a reputation beyond reputesavvas has a reputation beyond reputesavvas has a reputation beyond reputesavvas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrthsv View Post
I think my reply was taken out of context, and was, I thought civil, if not I am sorry.

Your right I don't know Bob but the comments he made, were in my opinion misleading and a direct result of something I had raised in an earlier post, which I thought suggestted my info was incorrect. The smartness comment was not aimed at offending anyone (including myself) but to me the comments made don't show an appreciation for the 'topic' at hand. Bit like me commenting on cause and effect for open heart surgery, or foundations for pylons for the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

I was trying to help with researched and first hand technical info in a field I have some knowledge. Probably best I just keep quiet and read.
Mate, we're happy to have your contribution so feel free to comment.
__________________
Savvas

2012 True Blue Laredo CRD
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 11-22-2012, 05:08 PM
yoda42's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Darwin Australia
Posts: 358
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 1650
yoda42 has a reputation beyond reputeyoda42 has a reputation beyond reputeyoda42 has a reputation beyond reputeyoda42 has a reputation beyond reputeyoda42 has a reputation beyond reputeyoda42 has a reputation beyond reputeyoda42 has a reputation beyond reputeyoda42 has a reputation beyond reputeyoda42 has a reputation beyond reputeyoda42 has a reputation beyond repute
That's the one I used( billet tech), got one off eBay, had to make up my own bracket.
I'll take some photos of where I installed it, it's been in for just over a week now, checked it the other day and was surprised at the amount of oil (@50ml).
Another prob with this oil is it lines your inter cooler and makes it less efficient

Yoda
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo CRD & Aussieswag Rover LX Campertrailer
www.travelswithbeagles.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2004 4.7 Dakota, tuned with SCT FlyinRyan Flyin' Ryan Performance 2 04-09-2012 11:38 PM
Crd wkthursty Diesel Powered WK Grand Cherokee 9 03-15-2012 09:38 AM
2007 Dyno Tuned IronGuillotine Tuners/CMR/Dyno/DataLogging/Gauges 7 03-08-2011 02:47 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community