Anyone tuned a CRD yet? - Page 59 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #697  
Old 06-15-2015, 09:52 PM
BobT's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,257
Thanks: 1,126
Thanked 194 Times in 167 Posts
Rep Power: 74941
BobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeaus View Post
Hi, I just wanted to share an problem I had with my bluespark chip that led me to binning it a week ago.
Now I had my chip fitted for almost a year with no dramas, using it mainly on the default setting. Late last year though I started having an issue with my car, it was like I would experience a moment of engine braking when changing up into a higher gear when a cruising speed was reached, at first I just ignored it since a lot of other people were reporting gear shifting issues. And then one day on the freeway after passing a car it happened which brought up a 'service electric throttle' alarm and an engine light, I also soon realised the car was stuck in eighth gear and would not shift into any other gear. The next day I removed the chip before taking it to the dealership for said issues, after starting the car and finding the alarms gone, I decided to risk a drive and for the first time in 2 months the car was changing gears perfectly again, none of the weird engine braking.
Now after some 6 months and 22,000kms with none of the above problems, I decided to give the chip another go. At the time of the issues, I had the chip on a higher setting, so I was hoping maybe that was the cause, plus I wanted to confirm it was indeed the chip and not a jeep thing. So with the chip back on the default setting I had about a day of problem free driving, then I started to experience a noticeable surging sometimes when my foot was just touching the accelerator (engine braking, acceleration, engine braking, acceleration etc..) and then later in the day my car had another meltdown when pulling onto a busy T section, the throttle alarm and engine light came up again, with the car stuck in third. Turned the car off until the dash died then restarted, throttle alarm cleared, able to shift gears but engine running really rough and lumpy. Got back home, removed chip, started car and engine was running normal again, no more surging when driving either.
Hopefully no one else will have this problem but if your car starts surging or engine braking like I've mentioned, I'd look at the chip as the cause and remove it quickly.
I should also state that I didn't have mine in that felt bag (I thought it was just a complimentary carry bag...) and it was one of the earlier units that had the 1 to 9 dial and a small pot for fine adjustment.

Wade
It sounds like you have the 8-speeder (184kW) fitted with the Bluespark for the earlier 6-speeder (177kW). Try contacting Bluespark. They may be prepared to remap it for you.

__________________
Ordered 9 Nov 2011 - Delivered 3:30pm Friday 13 April 2012
Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3L CRD, Black Forest Green Pearl, Quadra-lift, Off-road Adventure II, Front Recovery Hook, Mopar Tow Bar, Mopar Rock Rails, 150A Projecta Battery Isolator, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Bridgestone D697 265/60R18 LT, Kimberley Kamper Special Edition
MudMap M7 off/on road sat nav, Chief Recovery Hooks "chrome", Chief 3mm Sump Protection Plate, Bluespark pro+boost tuning module set on C9, Chief Lower Front Guard
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #698  
Old 06-16-2015, 01:05 AM
Wadeaus's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 150
Thanks: 37
Thanked 49 Times in 25 Posts
Rep Power: 1623
Wadeaus has a reputation beyond reputeWadeaus has a reputation beyond reputeWadeaus has a reputation beyond reputeWadeaus has a reputation beyond reputeWadeaus has a reputation beyond reputeWadeaus has a reputation beyond reputeWadeaus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

Hi Barboots, I haven't contacted the supplier, I'm not interested in a replacement. I've been humming and harring about going down the retune path for a while now, this helped me make up my mind, so I took it to ECUwest last Friday...
Hi BobT, you could be right but it did run problem free for almost a year. I do remember requesting the one for the 184kw engine but I'll check my paperwork to be sure.
Reply With Quote
  #699  
Old 06-17-2015, 12:00 AM
BobT's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,257
Thanks: 1,126
Thanked 194 Times in 167 Posts
Rep Power: 74941
BobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

Whoops! Regarding my post above, it's a 5-speeder not a 6-speeder.
__________________
Ordered 9 Nov 2011 - Delivered 3:30pm Friday 13 April 2012
Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3L CRD, Black Forest Green Pearl, Quadra-lift, Off-road Adventure II, Front Recovery Hook, Mopar Tow Bar, Mopar Rock Rails, 150A Projecta Battery Isolator, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Bridgestone D697 265/60R18 LT, Kimberley Kamper Special Edition
MudMap M7 off/on road sat nav, Chief Recovery Hooks "chrome", Chief 3mm Sump Protection Plate, Bluespark pro+boost tuning module set on C9, Chief Lower Front Guard
Reply With Quote
  #700  
Old 06-17-2015, 12:36 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 152
Thanks: 18
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 1851
200sxr is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeaus View Post
Hi, I just wanted to share an problem I had with my bluespark chip that led me to binning it a week ago.
Now I had my chip fitted for almost a year with no dramas, using it mainly on the default setting. Late last year though I started having an issue with my car, it was like I would experience a moment of engine braking when changing up into a higher gear when a cruising speed was reached, at first I just ignored it since a lot of other people were reporting gear shifting issues. And then one day on the freeway after passing a car it happened which brought up a 'service electric throttle' alarm and an engine light, I also soon realised the car was stuck in eighth gear and would not shift into any other gear. The next day I removed the chip before taking it to the dealership for said issues, after starting the car and finding the alarms gone, I decided to risk a drive and for the first time in 2 months the car was changing gears perfectly again, none of the weird engine braking.
Now after some 6 months and 22,000kms with none of the above problems, I decided to give the chip another go. At the time of the issues, I had the chip on a higher setting, so I was hoping maybe that was the cause, plus I wanted to confirm it was indeed the chip and not a jeep thing. So with the chip back on the default setting I had about a day of problem free driving, then I started to experience a noticeable surging sometimes when my foot was just touching the accelerator (engine braking, acceleration, engine braking, acceleration etc..) and then later in the day my car had another meltdown when pulling onto a busy T section, the throttle alarm and engine light came up again, with the car stuck in third. Turned the car off until the dash died then restarted, throttle alarm cleared, able to shift gears but engine running really rough and lumpy. Got back home, removed chip, started car and engine was running normal again, no more surging when driving either.
Hopefully no one else will have this problem but if your car starts surging or engine braking like I've mentioned, I'd look at the chip as the cause and remove it quickly.
I should also state that I didn't have mine in that felt bag (I thought it was just a complimentary carry bag...) and it was one of the earlier units that had the 1 to 9 dial and a small pot for fine adjustment.

Wade
Thanks for sharing, do let us know how you go with the ECU tune.
__________________
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines - Enzo Ferrari

MY14 GC Diesel
MY16 S3 Sedan
Reply With Quote
  #701  
Old 08-03-2015, 07:25 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 108
Thanks: 3
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 646
GCDingo is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeaus View Post
Hi Barboots, I haven't contacted the supplier, I'm not interested in a replacement. I've been humming and harring about going down the retune path for a while now, this helped me make up my mind, so I took it to ECUwest last Friday...
Hi BobT, you could be right but it did run problem free for almost a year. I do remember requesting the one for the 184kw engine but I'll check my paperwork to be sure.
How did you find ECUWest Wade? Are you happy with the tune? Do you know if they dynoed your car or just uploaded generic maps?
Reply With Quote
  #702  
Old 08-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Wadeaus's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 150
Thanks: 37
Thanked 49 Times in 25 Posts
Rep Power: 1623
Wadeaus has a reputation beyond reputeWadeaus has a reputation beyond reputeWadeaus has a reputation beyond reputeWadeaus has a reputation beyond reputeWadeaus has a reputation beyond reputeWadeaus has a reputation beyond reputeWadeaus has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDingo View Post
How did you find ECUWest Wade? Are you happy with the tune? Do you know if they dynoed your car or just uploaded generic maps?

Hi, ECUwest was ok to deal with, Darren had my car done in alittle over half a day.
No dyno, so no way of knowing what I'm getting but (from memory) they reckon it should be around 215kw/630nm.
Performance wise, it certainly pulls harder than it did with the bluespark chip, especially in the higher rpms when the power would just die off with the bs.
Haven't been paying too much attention to fuel economy, atm it's at 10l/100km (from city driving). Without a chip I think 10.5 -11.5ish was normal for me.
At the end of the day I'm happy with the tune and would get it again.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wadeaus For This Useful Post:
  #703  
Old 08-04-2015, 08:59 AM
Barboots's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 2,436
Thanks: 137
Thanked 344 Times in 292 Posts
Rep Power: 42399
Barboots has disabled reputation
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

Sounds really tempting Wade. What product are they flashing... their own development, or another brand?

Cheers,
Steve
__________________
2014 Overland CRD
Perth, Western Australia
Reply With Quote
  #704  
Old 08-04-2015, 09:00 AM
Wadeaus's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 150
Thanks: 37
Thanked 49 Times in 25 Posts
Rep Power: 1623
Wadeaus has a reputation beyond reputeWadeaus has a reputation beyond reputeWadeaus has a reputation beyond reputeWadeaus has a reputation beyond reputeWadeaus has a reputation beyond reputeWadeaus has a reputation beyond reputeWadeaus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

His own I believe.
Reply With Quote
  #705  
Old 08-04-2015, 08:29 PM
BobT's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,257
Thanks: 1,126
Thanked 194 Times in 167 Posts
Rep Power: 74941
BobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeaus View Post
Hi, ECUwest was ok to deal with, Darren had my car done in alittle over half a day.
No dyno, so no way of knowing what I'm getting but (from memory) they reckon it should be around 215kw/630nm.
Performance wise, it certainly pulls harder than it did with the bluespark chip, especially in the higher rpms when the power would just die off with the bs.
Haven't been paying too much attention to fuel economy, atm it's at 10l/100km (from city driving). Without a chip I think 10.5 -11.5ish was normal for me.
At the end of the day I'm happy with the tune and would get it again.
I too found the Bluespark dissatisfying at the power settings but I now have it on C9, the full torque setting, and I love it. With just a touch of the throttle it pulls like a steam train. The jury is still out on fuel economy but it's looking promising. I need to put a few more tank-fulls through it yet to be sure.
__________________
Ordered 9 Nov 2011 - Delivered 3:30pm Friday 13 April 2012
Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3L CRD, Black Forest Green Pearl, Quadra-lift, Off-road Adventure II, Front Recovery Hook, Mopar Tow Bar, Mopar Rock Rails, 150A Projecta Battery Isolator, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Bridgestone D697 265/60R18 LT, Kimberley Kamper Special Edition
MudMap M7 off/on road sat nav, Chief Recovery Hooks "chrome", Chief 3mm Sump Protection Plate, Bluespark pro+boost tuning module set on C9, Chief Lower Front Guard
Reply With Quote
  #706  
Old 09-17-2015, 12:37 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Perth
Posts: 30
Thanks: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1375
Undies is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

hi,
very interested in the ECU tune. What is the cost?
Are you the first he has done?
Undies
Reply With Quote
  #707  
Old 09-17-2015, 11:22 PM
WK2 Max Steel's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mt Martha Vic
Posts: 101
Thanks: 4
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Rep Power: 828
WK2 Max Steel is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

Not sure whether you guys have read this post..WK2 CRD-Flash tune result - No Chips to be seen! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM - AJOR

I am Cherokee30D on the ausjeep site

Cheers, Craig
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WK2 Max Steel For This Useful Post:
  #708  
Old 10-14-2015, 04:07 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 302
Thanks: 32
Thanked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Power: 1524
chocco is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone tuned a CRD yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2 Max Steel View Post
Not sure whether you guys have read this post..WK2 CRD-Flash tune result - No Chips to be seen! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM - AJOR

I am Cherokee30D on the ausjeep site

Cheers, Craig

Did you get your exhaust yet, I am going in late November for Tune and Exhaust.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New CRD wxd60 New Members - Welcome! 4 04-29-2012 08:18 AM
Crd wkthursty Diesel Powered WK Grand Cherokee 9 03-15-2012 10:38 AM
2007 Dyno Tuned IronGuillotine Tuners/CMR/Dyno/DataLogging/Gauges 7 03-08-2011 02:47 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.