Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 11-21-2013, 11:04 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sunshine Coast, QLD
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 430
guito is on a distinguished road
Anyone with Exhaust Filter problems

I have a MY14 JGC CRD and at 3000km and just today at 6000km had exhaust filter choked up. This results in the transmission being locked in 8th or 4th gear and you have to crawl along to the dealer.
Not sure if Jeep has a long term solution to this. Fairly pissed already having to deal with it twice within 6000km with a new car. I do quite a bit of highway driving travelling 80-100km/hr daily. I understand it can develop at lower speeds with lots of idling, but I'm not doing this.
Anyone else had this?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane QLD Australia
Posts: 835
Thanks: 13
Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Power: 2271
iboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond repute
What kind of fuel economy are you getting? The DPF can prematurely clog if unburned diesel is exiting the combustion chamber. First sign is excessive fuel consumption. Could point to a faulty or leaking piezo injector. The rail is at super high pressure so sometimes the seals don't hold. I've heard this happen in a Audi before, but generally fairly isolated incidents.
Oil in the exhaust system also a culprit to premature DPF blockage. Check to see your engine isn't drinking its lube.
__________________

__________________
2014 Maximum Steel Overland, but the misses won't let me drive it!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-23-2013, 02:52 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sunshine Coast, QLD
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 430
guito is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone with Exhaust Filter problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by iboughtajeep View Post
What kind of fuel economy are you getting? The DPF can prematurely clog if unburned diesel is exiting the combustion chamber. First sign is excessive fuel consumption. Could point to a faulty or leaking piezo injector. The rail is at super high pressure so sometimes the seals don't hold. I've heard this happen in a Audi before, but generally fairly isolated incidents.
Oil in the exhaust system also a culprit to premature DPF blockage. Check to see your engine isn't drinking its lube.
Thanks for your reply IBAJ. Fuel economy is normally between 8-9 l/100km in built up traffic and gets to 7.5 -8 when doing highway driving.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-23-2013, 03:44 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane QLD Australia
Posts: 835
Thanks: 13
Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Power: 2271
iboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by guito View Post
Thanks for your reply IBAJ. Fuel economy is normally between 8-9 l/100km in built up traffic and gets to 7.5 -8 when doing highway driving.
Thats prety good. Doesn't sound like its fuel. Have you kept an eye on your oil levels?
Having a think about it, its also possible that you may have a sensor that isnt working properly. There is a sensor in the exhaust that measures exhaust pressure before and after the DPF. If is senses too much back pressure it requests a DPF burn. In your case one of the sensor may not be working or the burn off process isnt being requested.
Have you been getting a warning to let you know the DPF is almost full?
__________________
2014 Maximum Steel Overland, but the misses won't let me drive it!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-23-2013, 05:05 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sunshine Coast, QLD
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 430
guito is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone with Exhaust Filter problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by iboughtajeep View Post
Thats prety good. Doesn't sound like its fuel. Have you kept an eye on your oil levels?
Having a think about it, its also possible that you may have a sensor that isnt working properly. There is a sensor in the exhaust that measures exhaust pressure before and after the DPF. If is senses too much back pressure it requests a DPF burn. In your case one of the sensor may not be working or the burn off process isnt being requested.
Have you been getting a warning to let you know the DPF is almost full?
Haven't been watching oil levels closely. No warnings at all with DPF filter. Just get the lockdown to 4th gear and it says it's 100% full. Read on another forum to drive for 5-10 minutes at higher than 2000rpm with no interruption with each tank of fuel to help clean out the filter?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-23-2013, 05:17 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane QLD Australia
Posts: 835
Thanks: 13
Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Power: 2271
iboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by guito View Post

Haven't been watching oil levels closely. No warnings at all with DPF filter. Just get the lockdown to 4th gear and it says it's 100% full. Read on another forum to drive for 5-10 minutes at higher than 2000rpm with no interruption with each tank of fuel to help clean out the filter?
Yeah. I don't know why you aren't getting a warning. You need to get exhaust temperatures over 600C. Personally id try a fast idle of about 2000 RPM for 15min. Keep an eye on oil and water temperature while you do it. If ita getting warm back the speed down a bit. If it remains warm let it idle for a min before switching off. Make sure you do all of this out in the open, and if you have a fan, stick it in front of the car blowing air onto the radiator. The aim of this is to increase exhaust temperature, not engine temperature.
__________________
2014 Maximum Steel Overland, but the misses won't let me drive it!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-23-2013, 05:24 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sunshine Coast, QLD
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 430
guito is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone with Exhaust Filter problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by iboughtajeep View Post
Yeah. I don't know why you aren't getting a warning. You need to get exhaust temperatures over 600C. Personally id try a fast idle of about 2000 RPM for 15min. Keep an eye on oil and water temperature while you do it. If ita getting warm back the speed down a bit. If it remains warm let it idle for a min before switching off. Make sure you do all of this out in the open, and if you have a fan, stick it in front of the car blowing air onto the radiator. The aim of this is to increase exhaust temperature, not engine temperature.
Thanks IBAJ. I will quiz the dealer re: no warning & will try what you suggested every so often.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-23-2013, 05:38 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane QLD Australia
Posts: 835
Thanks: 13
Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Power: 2271
iboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by guito View Post
Thanks IBAJ. I will quiz the dealer re: no warning & will try what you suggested very so often.
No problem. Doing the fast idle above should unblock it.
__________________
2014 Maximum Steel Overland, but the misses won't let me drive it!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-23-2013, 05:50 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane QLD Australia
Posts: 835
Thanks: 13
Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Power: 2271
iboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond repute
Out of curiosity, do you fill up with bio-diesel?
__________________
2014 Maximum Steel Overland, but the misses won't let me drive it!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-23-2013, 06:48 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sunshine Coast, QLD
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 430
guito is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone with Exhaust Filter problems

No just garden variety diesel.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-24-2013, 12:35 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane QLD Australia
Posts: 835
Thanks: 13
Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Power: 2271
iboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond repute
Ok. Just make sure its not bio diesel. They tend to "smoke" more, therefore clogging the DPF.
__________________
2014 Maximum Steel Overland, but the misses won't let me drive it!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-12-2013, 08:08 AM
SNUKE's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney, Aus
Posts: 3,182
Thanks: 85
Thanked 327 Times in 267 Posts
Rep Power: 5965
SNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Anyone with Exhaust Filter problems

For some stupid reason Aus (possibly all export) CRD GCs do not give a real warning.
It says warning, but by the time it is displayed it is too late, the filter is full, the gear is locked and the revs limited so you can't get the exhaust hot enough to make the DPF enter regen mode.

US GCs have a warning before it is put into limp mode so they can actually do something about it.
If you are doing frequent highway runs, you shouldn't have this issue.
__________________

__________________
I'm just want it for the "shorter headlamps".

MY14 GC Limited, 3.0 CRD, Lux II, Granite Crystal, 18" Wheels, Tubular Side Steps.
Could I get my avatar much larger?
Ordered: July 7 2013 Delivered Nov 25th
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arrington Performance CF Intake *What size Pre-Filter fits this filter? Spanky Malone Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust 4 11-08-2012 02:30 PM
AIRAID Intake Replacement Filter & Pre-Filter For 2012 Wrangler 3.6L AIRAID Filters AIRAID Filter Company 0 03-20-2012 11:03 AM
exhaust problems GEEZ Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion 7 01-29-2011 05:35 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.