Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 04-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 56
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 896
E_Holst is on a distinguished road
Catch Can on VM Motori Diesel?

I have a question for those that have installed catch cans on their VM Motori diesels. Do you actually catch any oil? If so, how much and how often?

The reason I ask is after reviewing service training manual that Milous uploaded in the premium member section, it documents a centrifugal oil separator device built into the crankcase ventilator system that routes cleaned air and allows oil to flow back into the crankcase.

The manual has a couple of diagrams that shows the centrifugal oil separator, baffles, and oil flow. Here is a quote from the manual:
"The 3.0-liter diesel engine uses a centrifugal oil separator to route crankcase gases to the intake manifold. The oil separator is attached to the left side intake camshaft. Crankcase gases flow through the front engine cover into the baffling machined into the front upper left engine cover. The vapors are routed to the fresh air inlet tube and liquid oil flows back down the baffles to the crankcase
So, if you have a catch can, does it actually catch any oil?

I would find it hard to believe that the relatively simple baffle system in an aftermarket catch can would catch more oil than the centrifugal system built into the engine.

-Eric
__________________

__________________
Ordered 9 Aug 2013: '14 Overland 4x4, Diesel, AdvTech, Off Road II, Block Heater
Unloaded From Railcar 11/10/2013 11:57 PM PST Mira Loma, CA

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to E_Holst For This Useful Post:
  #2  
Old 04-14-2014, 08:09 PM
Rumline's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 260
Thanks: 67
Thanked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 1467
Rumline has a reputation beyond reputeRumline has a reputation beyond reputeRumline has a reputation beyond reputeRumline has a reputation beyond reputeRumline has a reputation beyond reputeRumline has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Catch Can on VM Motori Diesel?

Good question...
__________________

__________________

2014 Overland Ecodiesel 4x4 - Adv. Tech - ORA2

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Horse's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 613
Horse is on a distinguished road
Re: Catch Can on VM Motori Diesel?

Pull the hose off and have a look how much oil is on the inside.
you may be astounded
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-17-2014, 02:52 AM
zzkazu's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canberra, ACT
Posts: 417
Thanks: 6
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1756
zzkazu has a reputation beyond reputezzkazu has a reputation beyond reputezzkazu has a reputation beyond reputezzkazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Catch Can on VM Motori Diesel?

Have you read this thread..

Catch Can on VM Diesel
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Peter.T's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia
Posts: 80
Thanks: 12
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 551
Peter.T will become famous soon enough
Re: Catch Can on VM Motori Diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Holst View Post
I have a question for those that have installed catch cans on their VM Motori diesels. Do you actually catch any oil? If so, how much and how often?

The reason I ask is after reviewing service training manual that Milous uploaded in the premium member section, it documents a centrifugal oil separator device built into the crankcase ventilator system that routes cleaned air and allows oil to flow back into the crankcase.

The manual has a couple of diagrams that shows the centrifugal oil separator, baffles, and oil flow. Here is a quote from the manual:
"The 3.0-liter diesel engine uses a centrifugal oil separator to route crankcase gases to the intake manifold. The oil separator is attached to the left side intake camshaft. Crankcase gases flow through the front engine cover into the baffling machined into the front upper left engine cover. The vapors are routed to the fresh air inlet tube and liquid oil flows back down the baffles to the crankcase
So, if you have a catch can, does it actually catch any oil?

I would find it hard to believe that the relatively simple baffle system in an aftermarket catch can would catch more oil than the centrifugal system built into the engine.

-Eric
In reply to the above, I have now travelled 2000km since fitting my catch can and it has collected 20ml of oil. That equates to 100ml per 10,000km. I believe through the life of the engine this is significant.

Pete.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-30-2014, 09:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 26
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 208
hi2nr is on a distinguished road
Re: Catch Can on VM Motori Diesel?

adding one can't hurt it
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-26-2014, 11:12 PM
Starion VR4's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 69
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 304
Starion VR4 is on a distinguished road
Re: Catch Can on VM Motori Diesel?

Ok on Nissan Patrols we use PROVENT OIL SEPARATORS, on a STD Patrol the air from the tappet cover is routed directly back into the inlet before the turbo, the oil mist eventually clogs up the inlet track & oils up the intercooler making it totally(well next to) useless. The PROVENT system has membrane & removes the oil form the air & hence stops the mess in the inlet system.

Read here...
ZD30 Engine Problems

I for one will be using a Provent 200 when my JGC arrives.. the amount of oil I have seen in inlet of some patrols is alarming, once we cleaned them up & installed the system... It never oiled up again .
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-01-2014, 03:36 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane QLD Australia
Posts: 834
Thanks: 13
Thanked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Power: 2265
iboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starion VR4 View Post
Ok on Nissan Patrols we use PROVENT OIL SEPARATORS, on a STD Patrol
Who is "we", and what relevance has the patrol engine with the VM motori engine other than they are both turbo diesel? The VM motori engine is designed to meet a far more stringent set of emissions standards. It also has a far more complex exhaust system...
Im not saying it won't benefit from a catch can, but at which point does one require one?
__________________
2014 Maximum Steel Overland, but the misses won't let me drive it!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-13-2014, 09:13 PM
Futuresystem's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 412
Futuresystem has a reputation beyond reputeFuturesystem has a reputation beyond reputeFuturesystem has a reputation beyond reputeFuturesystem has a reputation beyond reputeFuturesystem has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Catch Can on VM Motori Diesel?

Quote:
at which point does one require one?
At which point do you want a clean turbo, inter-cooler, and inlet manifold?
Personally, I'd like it spotless, but of course that isn't going to happen forever! But the longer it stays clean, the better. ��

I guess if you are going to trade in your JGC every two years or so, probably not worth worrying about, and it just becomes the next owner's problem. However I intend to keep mine longer than that hopefully.

See my post here:
oil catch can

I'm very happy with the result!
The catch can is just the elcheapo "Calibre" brand sold by Supercheap, $55? I think from memory, plus some heater hose.
__________________
If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing well. The quickest way out of a job, is by getting stuck into it!

2014 build white WK2 CRD 3.0 ECB 'roo Bar.
We HAVE our new Jeep, and love it!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-09-2014, 06:02 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wagga Wagga, Australia
Posts: 112
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 909
Roachy is on a distinguished road
Re: Catch Can on VM Motori Diesel?

I am using a Provent catch can and draining off 50 to 60mls every 4000km.
__________________
MY13 Overland CRD - Bright White
Catch Can, Rock Rails, Front Recovery Hook,
JW Speaker LED Fogs and Remote Start.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-09-2014, 10:22 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: SoCal mountains
Posts: 241
Thanks: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 637
Goonbash is on a distinguished road
Re: Catch Can on VM Motori Diesel?

Roachy, could you detail your provent setup, install and hose size for us? Were you able to keep the filter in it without setting codes? Could we see some pics. Provent is the one most of us would prefer to use but people were having trouble with it triggering codes and setting off the check engine light. I have been waiting to find someone who successfully uses the provent. Judging by your numbers it might be a bit more efficient than other cans.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Starion VR4's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 69
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 304
Starion VR4 is on a distinguished road
Re: Catch Can on VM Motori Diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonbash View Post
Roachy, could you detail your provent setup, install and hose size for us? Were you able to keep the filter in it without setting codes? Could we see some pics. Provent is the one most of us would prefer to use but people were having trouble with it triggering codes and setting off the check engine light. I have been waiting to find someone who successfully uses the provent. Judging by your numbers it might be a bit more efficient than other cans.
Will get some pics of my setup over the weekend... no fault codes with my setup.
__________________

__________________
06/2014 Build JGC Limited. Quadra-Lift.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ENFORCER'S Oil Change Guide for a 2011 VM Motori CRD ENFORCER Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee 122 06-03-2014 06:18 AM
Catch Can on VM Diesel E_Holst 2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 4 05-27-2014 03:54 PM
"Diesel fürs Dickschiff" ( "Diesel for the big boat") BobT Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ 11 01-30-2013 08:15 PM
ENFORCER'S Oil Change Guide for a 2011 3.0 VM Motori CRD ENFORCER Tech Tips/DIY/How To 7 02-13-2012 05:06 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.