Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #85  
Old 10-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2008 3.0L
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Oakville Ontario Canada
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1181
Sgmigsy is on a distinguished road
Re: Diesel Grand Cherokee Coming to US!

Wow long thread!

My buddy has the 5.7 Hemi and he thinks my CRD is quicker. He is wrong of course. Quarter mile and 0-60 the Hemi is faster. However what he means is in the real world driving environment: 100ft - 200 Ft pulling passing, quick jumps in and out of traffic, the CRD power is created at such a low RPM it translates into a quicker ride. The seat of your pants pull is always there. It helps that it is geared well and the auto transmission responds very well to manual downshift.

On the Overland up here the CRD option was $1500 when I purchased it - so a no brainer. Except for about 2 months in the summer of 08, Diesel usually runs about 5-7 (per litre) cents cheaper than regular unleaded. So just that alone has translated to about 800 dollars cheaper than gas. Then add the 30-35 percent improvement in mileage over the Hemi and I have paid off the motor twice over already - if not more.

Resale value for the diesel is also considerably higher than the Hemi or V6.

I am really looking forward to the 2013-2014 but I hope they don't try to gouge for it and put it out of reach.

There are valid reasons overall to stick with gasoline in the US. But I think raising awareness comes down to word of mouth. Most people don't know what CRD, or TDI mean and the motors are so quite these days that people can't hear the difference anymore.
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 12-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1431
twylue is on a distinguished road
Re: Diesel Grand Cherokee Coming to US!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
I tend to agree with you on the "gonna lose it soon" view. Our fuel economy standards are going through the roof by 2025 (if I remember correctly) - we've taken the gasoline engine about as far as we can, only way to get better fuel consumption is diesel, diesel hybrid or electric. Say goodbye to gasoline engines, especially the V8.
Lexus and BMW are already heading there. Lexus dropped the V8 from the new GS line and points toward their hybrid model as a "replacement" in terms of performance. BMW is dropping cylinders across many models in favor of FI motor and other more fuel efficient options. We love the torque, sound and smoothness of the V8's we own, but understand they will likely be phased out over our next few purchases.

I'm soon to be in the market for a JGC, and would love to get a CRD in the states, but not holding my breath. Will likely pick up one and then worry about a trade should the CRD become available in our market later next year or after.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 12-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 863
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 8018
dmsfun has a reputation beyond reputedmsfun has a reputation beyond reputedmsfun has a reputation beyond reputedmsfun has a reputation beyond reputedmsfun has a reputation beyond reputedmsfun has a reputation beyond reputedmsfun has a reputation beyond reputedmsfun has a reputation beyond reputedmsfun has a reputation beyond reputedmsfun has a reputation beyond reputedmsfun has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diesel Grand Cherokee Coming to US!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05WK View Post
Those who keep saying, " the diesel would be expensive to fix" make it sound like by buying a diesel you're going to throw a rod or it's going to crack a head. That's an expensive fix for any motor. Fact is, diesels last longer. They don't even break in until ~150K miles, where as gasoline engines break in around 90K or less.

That's also why they have a power train warranty, etc. big trucks are able to pull huge horse trailers for the entire life span and the engine runs fine. Most put 150K within the first several years. Which is more reliable?
Powertrain warrantees are usefeul for Trans/drivetrain more than anything; I have never had an engine go bad in any vehicle in 40 yrs, of ownership including a dozen or more cars driven to over 150k. It is all about proper maintenance. My '89 Taurus SHO road racer has 176k on the original motor, redlined every time driven, still has great compression, and loses not a drop of oil.
__________________
2006 GC Overland QD II
5.7 Hemi, Modern Muscle 85 mm CNC ported TB, Apexi super voltage stabilizer, Billet Tech. Catch Can, Koni FSD shocks/struts, SRT8 sway bars, Cooper AT3's, Amsoil fluids, Diablosport Intune CMR tuned by Hemifever tuning.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 12-22-2011, 06:47 PM
05WK's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,304
Thanks: 23
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 14995
05WK has a reputation beyond repute05WK has a reputation beyond repute05WK has a reputation beyond repute05WK has a reputation beyond repute05WK has a reputation beyond repute05WK has a reputation beyond repute05WK has a reputation beyond repute05WK has a reputation beyond repute05WK has a reputation beyond repute05WK has a reputation beyond repute05WK has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diesel Grand Cherokee Coming to US!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfun View Post
Powertrain warrantees are usefeul for Trans/drivetrain more than anything; I have never had an engine go bad in any vehicle in 40 yrs, of ownership including a dozen or more cars driven to over 150k. It is all about proper maintenance. My '89 Taurus SHO road racer has 176k on the original motor, redlined every time driven, still has great compression, and loses not a drop of oil.
__________________
05 Jeep GC WK, 3.7L, SCT programmer, K&N CAI, FASTMAN ported TB, Flowmaster Super 44 cat-back exhaust (Dumped), HD Bilstien's, 6000K HIDs, 5% Tint ALL the way around, Full Infiniti speaker system with an Alpine HU, TOBY Subwoofer(THE GREATEST), Plasti-diped Rims
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 12-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1111
Bluehighways is on a distinguished road
Re: Diesel Grand Cherokee Coming to US!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
You DO know that not ALL the current diesel tech is the same don't you? Some in fact DO smoke like ****ing Trojans. They pour massive amounts of raw fuel down the exhaust to super-heat the catalytic converters and "burn" any deposits off. Other's introduce wee wee to the exhaust over long periods of time.
H-m-m-m-m don't want to say you didn't see what you clearly believe you saw but . . . if the engine has either a SCR (Selective Catalyst Reduction) system, which is the one that uses the Urea Injection or if it has the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) system, you will NOT see any smoke even during the an Active Regeneration (Burning off the accumulated soot) cycle. In fact, one of the very reasons for an SCR or DPF system is to eliminate soot from the exhaust (anything over 10 microns). When these systems are working properly you will never see any exhaust smoke and you can do a "White Glove" test on the inside of the tailpipe. Other than any rust or road grime the tailpipe will always be completely and perfectly spotless.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 12-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 499
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 31697
77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute77rednecktruck has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diesel Grand Cherokee Coming to US!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfun View Post
Powertrain warrantees are usefeul for Trans/drivetrain more than anything; I have never had an engine go bad in any vehicle in 40 yrs, of ownership including a dozen or more cars driven to over 150k. It is all about proper maintenance. My '89 Taurus SHO road racer has 176k on the original motor, redlined every time driven, still has great compression, and loses not a drop of oil.
Not to change the subject but...

I had a 92 taurus SHO, it was broke more than it was running. I loved that car when it worked but what a PITA when something broke.

pleae continue with the diesel talk...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 12-31-2011, 09:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1307
mcmartens has a reputation beyond reputemcmartens has a reputation beyond reputemcmartens has a reputation beyond reputemcmartens has a reputation beyond reputemcmartens has a reputation beyond reputemcmartens has a reputation beyond reputemcmartens has a reputation beyond reputemcmartens has a reputation beyond reputemcmartens has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diesel Grand Cherokee Coming to US!

After looking at a replacement for my 2002 Avalanche, I was ready to sign for a JGC Overland with the V6 after renting one for a 2000 mile+ trip. The trip was through Utah, Wyoming and Colorado; the only annoyance was the occasional noisy downshift, but the rest of the features make up for that downside.

Before settling on the JGC we (wife & I) looked at over 20 options but the boxes to check included:
- Being able to put in a 1000 mile day of driving (4 occupants) with the possibility of feeling good at the end. (p.s. My 2002 Avalanche is very good for this but does not have the extras that the JGC has, so it regretfully fell out at the end as choice #2) The Four Runner did not pass the 30 mile comfort ride let alone a 1000 mile excursion.
- Relatively easy (cabin) ingress and egress. The air suspension helps in that regard. The Four Runner fails in the back passenger access!
- Trail rated (A) We live in Nevada and travel throughout the inter-mountain west. If we see an area that looks interesting off we go! Skid plates are a necessity and that cut out the Toureg TDI (nice diesel though) and Highlander. The JGC premium Overland drive and suspension systems fit the bill, especially the torque vectoring as compared to dragging brakes on the Laredo (Base) and Four Runner.
- Trail rated (B) Spare Tire. That eliminated all but the JGC, Avalanche and Four Runner. The Toureg also was handicapped by having only a space saver blowup spare tire, that would have lasted maybe 1 mile off-road. The BMW X series do not even have a spare tire.
- Safety We are of the age that any assistance is appreciated and the interactive cruise control plus side warning and rear view cameras are not found on choices @ & 3.
- Fuel Efficiency The V-6 was ok and we were willing to accept the slight overall performance (not 0 - 60 only) and thought that 2012 would see a 6 speed transmission.
- Longevity We plan to keep the JGC for 200,000 miles (we drive about 10,000 mile/year) and Jeep offers a lifetime warranty after the original runs out.
- Misc. The 115 and 12 V option is nice! The reclining backseats are better than most and, in a pinch, we can lay the seats down and have room to roll out our sleeping bags and sleep in the back. The air suspension helps our 60 year old bodies ge

The downside may be the build quality (trim and other bits and pieces) although Consumer Reports and Edmunds give the JGC very high marks.

So the JGC comes out on top, but

Then I see that a CRD and the 8 speed will become available for 2013. I travel in Europe and the Middle East, and I have no problems with a diesel! Despite what other posters have mentioned, the price of diesel in Europe is low due to government subsidies and the US prices vary in relation to gasoline, up to $1.00/gal. higher.
Diesel has approximately 30% more energy per unit of mass than gasoline, so a $1.00/gal hurts but is still competitive when compared to the Hemi and V6 (initial purchase plus mileage advantage).
And I do feel comfortable that the 3.0 L diesel will have a long life (see comment on longevity).

Patience reigns, but I look forward to the 2013 JGC.

p.s. Did I mention that we live in Southern Nevada and the Overland has cooled seats!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 12-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1264
Roadmaster45 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Roadmaster45
Re: Diesel Grand Cherokee Coming to US!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmartens View Post
After looking at a replacement for my 2002 Avalanche, I was ready to sign for a JGC Overland with the V6 after renting one for a 2000 mile+ trip. The trip was through Utah, Wyoming and Colorado; the only annoyance was the occasional noisy downshift, but the rest of the features make up for that downside.

Before settling on the JGC we (wife & I) looked at over 20 options but the boxes to check included:
- Being able to put in a 1000 mile day of driving (4 occupants) with the possibility of feeling good at the end. (p.s. My 2002 Avalanche is very good for this but does not have the extras that the JGC has, so it regretfully fell out at the end as choice #2) The Four Runner did not pass the 30 mile comfort ride let alone a 1000 mile excursion.
- Relatively easy (cabin) ingress and egress. The air suspension helps in that regard. The Four Runner fails in the back passenger access!
- Trail rated (A) We live in Nevada and travel throughout the inter-mountain west. If we see an area that looks interesting off we go! Skid plates are a necessity and that cut out the Toureg TDI (nice diesel though) and Highlander. The JGC premium Overland drive and suspension systems fit the bill, especially the torque vectoring as compared to dragging brakes on the Laredo (Base) and Four Runner.
- Trail rated (B) Spare Tire. That eliminated all but the JGC, Avalanche and Four Runner. The Toureg also was handicapped by having only a space saver blowup spare tire, that would have lasted maybe 1 mile off-road. The BMW X series do not even have a spare tire.
- Safety We are of the age that any assistance is appreciated and the interactive cruise control plus side warning and rear view cameras are not found on choices @ & 3.
- Fuel Efficiency The V-6 was ok and we were willing to accept the slight overall performance (not 0 - 60 only) and thought that 2012 would see a 6 speed transmission.
- Longevity We plan to keep the JGC for 200,000 miles (we drive about 10,000 mile/year) and Jeep offers a lifetime warranty after the original runs out.
- Misc. The 115 and 12 V option is nice! The reclining backseats are better than most and, in a pinch, we can lay the seats down and have room to roll out our sleeping bags and sleep in the back. The air suspension helps our 60 year old bodies ge

The downside may be the build quality (trim and other bits and pieces) although Consumer Reports and Edmunds give the JGC very high marks.

So the JGC comes out on top, but

Then I see that a CRD and the 8 speed will become available for 2013. I travel in Europe and the Middle East, and I have no problems with a diesel! Despite what other posters have mentioned, the price of diesel in Europe is low due to government subsidies and the US prices vary in relation to gasoline, up to $1.00/gal. higher.
Diesel has approximately 30% more energy per unit of mass than gasoline, so a $1.00/gal hurts but is still competitive when compared to the Hemi and V6 (initial purchase plus mileage advantage).
And I do feel comfortable that the 3.0 L diesel will have a long life (see comment on longevity).

Patience reigns, but I look forward to the 2013 JGC.

p.s. Did I mention that we live in Southern Nevada and the Overland has cooled seats!
I agree with you I am waiting for the 8spd and diesel myself everyone in my family thinks that i am crazy but i feel for the mileage it is well worth it
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 01-02-2012, 02:26 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2008 4.7L WK
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: southeast Michigan
Posts: 77
Thanks: 35
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1227
stratoblaster is on a distinguished road
Re: Diesel Grand Cherokee Coming to US!

First post here for me. Long-time reader. Couldn't agree more with previous two posts. 8-speed CRD can't come soon enough. Hopefully it will have similar or better mileage than the Touareg TDI.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 01-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1264
Roadmaster45 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Roadmaster45
Re: Diesel Grand Cherokee Coming to US!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoblaster View Post
First post here for me. Long-time reader. Couldn't agree more with previous two posts. 8-speed CRD can't come soon enough. Hopefully it will have similar or better mileage than the Touareg TDI.



The touareg is the other model in my mind will be 1 or the other. Worried if jeep will have experience mechanics for diesel
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 01-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 192
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 2016
LJS8510 is on a distinguished road
Re: Diesel Grand Cherokee Coming to US!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmaster45 View Post
The touareg is the other model in my mind will be 1 or the other. Worried if jeep will have experience mechanics for diesel
That has been my experience with my 2008 CRD.
The dealer I use (one of the largest in Chicago land) has a great mechanic but he says only 3 different diesels ever visit them & was shocked when I told him of a new diesel for the Grand Cherokee.
Maybe they will get more sales with a better promotion & it helps the WKII is a much better seller & vehicle all around.
__________________
08 CRD
OME HD Lift about 3"
4xGuard Rails
Stillens
AEV Wheels 5.3 BS
BFGs 265/70/17 (no bolt cut/no pinch weld)
Lockpic
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 01-02-2012, 07:22 PM
1200RT-P's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 680
Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 2286
1200RT-P has a reputation beyond repute1200RT-P has a reputation beyond repute1200RT-P has a reputation beyond repute1200RT-P has a reputation beyond repute1200RT-P has a reputation beyond repute1200RT-P has a reputation beyond repute1200RT-P has a reputation beyond repute1200RT-P has a reputation beyond repute1200RT-P has a reputation beyond repute1200RT-P has a reputation beyond repute1200RT-P has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diesel Grand Cherokee Coming to US!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmaster45 View Post
The touareg is the other model in my mind will be 1 or the other. Worried if jeep will have experience mechanics for diesel
Are there any standalone jeep dealers left? All the dealers around here are CDJR (chrysler dodge jeep ram), I'm sure their mechanics work cross lines, so a Ram mechanic should be able to work on a diesel jeep.
__________________

__________________

2011 JGC WK2 - Laredo X - 5.7 - 4x4 - 430N(RHB)
2010 Audi S4 - BMW 1150RT (Mine) - BMW 1200RT-P (Theirs)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grand Cherokee WK2 DIESEL reviewed. MIKE SRT8 Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee 16 05-18-2011 05:41 PM
Jeep Grand Cherokee to get 3.0L diesel V6 in North America by 2013 Thrumcap Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee 7 04-18-2011 08:48 PM
Grand Cherokee diesel for Europe. MIKE SRT8 Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee 12 03-17-2011 01:29 PM
is the 2008 crd DIESEL cherokee any good ylimits Export & Diesel Powered Jeep Models 8 12-19-2010 08:08 PM
2011 Grand Cherokee- V6 single and twin turbos coming Scottina06 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 101 12-04-2009 09:48 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.