Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #133  
Old 01-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vilseck Germany
Posts: 30
Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 671
sabergo is on a distinguished road
Re: Diesel People - Enlighten Me? (2014)

^^^what he said^^^
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 01-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 656
Thanks: 18
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 3611
Jamesla30 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesla30 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesla30 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesla30 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesla30 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesla30 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesla30 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesla30 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesla30 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesla30 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesla30 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diesel People - Enlighten Me? (2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksc View Post
Isn't FAUEE a GM troll?????? Just kidding but you have to stop shooting people's puppies FAUEE
No kidding, he has been bashing the CRD, and praising the Toureg over the JGC.... I'm wondering why he even is a member on these forums. If you don't want the CRD, and don't like the JGC, buy something else and quit bugging us!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 629
grandch is on a distinguished road
Re: Diesel People - Enlighten Me? (2014)

lol....reading through some posts, I have to laugh at the person from Florida explaining about block heaters....just seemed funny to me....do they use block heaters in Florida??....

I can tell you about block heaters since i live in Northern Ontario, Canada. Yes, you have to plug them in and they work fine on the coldest of mornings (-40 F or Celsius)...even if on a timer for 3 hours before your drive time...

More to the point about diesel Jeeps....I have owned a diesel Grand Cherokee (08) and two Gr Ch with Hemis (05, 10), and one with a V6 (00) so I can tell you a little about the diesel and a rough comparison of my experience....I have also owned a MB 350 diesel (same engine as the 08 Gr Ch) and currently drive a VW diesel wagon...possible upgrading to the 14 GR CH diesel....not sure yet...I also owned a 82 Wrangler (forget what the model was called back then), a 06 diesel CRD Jeep Liberty (engine was very loud), a Jeep patriot for awhile (hated the CVT tranny and the small interior)

The main reason I purchased the diesel GR Ch was the better gas mileage and distance between fillings....a lot better than the Hemi....the oil changes are more expensive than gas engines but are done farther apart in mileage....the diesel is terrific for driving in both city and highway and power in passing is not a problem whatsoever....it is not the rocket that the Hemi is, but I found that the diesel had more than enough power for all driving experiences...

Heating up the cabin is not any problem and is not any different than any other engine choice....starting up a diesel in cold weather is not anymore an issue than a gas engine....most people who live in cold climates will plug in their block heater on very cold nights, whether they own a diesel or gas engine...having a garage is even better, regardless of your engine...keeps the snow off too...

Overall, Diesel engines tend to outlast gas engines (mileage wise), and tend to keep their resale value better than gas engines....consider how many diesel stations are
near where you live and plan to travel....sometimes that is a consideration too....and yes, diesel hoses and pumps tend to be a bit more grimy but that is what paper towels are for....lol...

I loved my Jeep diesel...it was clean, noise levels were low (with most of the noise only at idle and barely noticeable on the highway or city driving), and it got great gas mileage....in fact, i liked it so much that when Jeep stopped making the diesel, I purchased the MB just to get the same engine as i had in the Jeep...and traded in my 10 GR CH with the Hemi...I did not do any cost analysis about purchasing the diesel vs other engines...I just liked not having to fill up as much as I had to with the Hemi and the long distances between fillups on the highway...perhaps there was not much of a saving, given the premium to purchase the diesel (depending on how long you keep the vehicle, price of gas/diesel in your area etc) but that was not my main concern...I don't speed or have the need to drive fast very often so the Hemi, while a great engine, was not something that i missed...the diesel did have more getup and go than the V6....

I can tell you that the only reason i would consider another GR CH at this time is because the diesel is back (and also the interiors are much improved from the plastics on my Hemi 2010 Overland)...

...my only concern this time is the fact that the diesel is not the MB one but the Vitori Italian diesel, an unknown to me,....I am hoping that it has the same record of reliability, quality, and dependability as the MB 3.0 diesel...

P.S. For cold weather owners, there is nothing like a heated steering wheel...this option that is new to Jeep was infact my favorite option on the MB....it was terrific and would heat up within the 30 seconds to a minute of being turned on....
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grandch For This Useful Post:
  #136  
Old 02-02-2013, 02:49 AM
BobT's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,682
Thanks: 527
Thanked 70 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 73525
BobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Diesel People - Enlighten Me? (2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandch View Post
...my only concern this time is the fact that the diesel is not the MB one but the Vitori Italian diesel, an unknown to me,....I am hoping that it has the same record of reliability, quality, and dependability as the MB 3.0 diesel...
I think the consensus is that the VM Motori engine is considerably more advanced than the MB engine used in earlier GCs. However, it also requires ultra low sulphur fuel and low ash oil. I'm not sure if the MB engine was so particular. Both engines are 3L turbo diesels, however, the VM Motori produces 177kW (237hp) and 550Nm (410lb-ft) of torque as against the MB which produces 160kW (215hp) and 510Nm (376lb-ft).
__________________
Ordered 9 Nov 2011 - Delivered 3:30pm Friday 13 April 2012
Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3L CRD, Black Forest Green Pearl, Quadra-lift, Off-road Adventure II, Front Recovery Hook, Mopar Tow Bar, Mopar Rock Rails, 150A Projecta Battery Isolator, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Bridgestone D697 265/60R18 LT, Kimberley Kamper Special Edition
MudMap M7 off/on road sat nav, Chief front recovery hooks "chrome", Chief 3mm bash plate
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 02-02-2013, 03:48 AM
Clubby360's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: australia
Posts: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 895
Clubby360 is on a distinguished road
Re: Diesel People - Enlighten Me? (2014)

Also the vm motori diesel is roughly 15% more fuel efficient, maybe better than the previous mb engine, i think of it as a high performance diesel engine without suffering bad fuel economy when opening it up!.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 02-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 629
grandch is on a distinguished road
Re: Diesel People - Enlighten Me? (2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobT View Post
I think the consensus is that the VM Motori engine is considerably more advanced than the MB engine used in earlier GCs. However, it also requires ultra low sulphur fuel and low ash oil. I'm not sure if the MB engine was so particular. Both engines are 3L turbo diesels, however, the VM Motori produces 177kW (237hp) and 550Nm (410lb-ft) of torque as against the MB which produces 160kW (215hp) and 510Nm (376lb-ft).
....yes, the MB engine did have similar requirements....currently, all diesel at gas stations sold in Canada is now ultra low sulphur (by law I believe)....good to know the Italian engine is considered a quality product with similar, if not better, torque...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 02-02-2013, 08:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 629
grandch is on a distinguished road
Re: Diesel People - Enlighten Me? (2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubby360 View Post
Also the vm motori diesel is roughly 15% more fuel efficient, maybe better than the previous mb engine, i think of it as a high performance diesel engine without suffering bad fuel economy when opening it up!.
...good news....I am sure Jeep knows they will be competing in the higher end models against the diesel MB 350 (7 sp tran) (27 city/40 hwy Can Imperial mpg) and the diesel VW toureg (8 sp tran) (26city/42hwy Can Imperial mpg) , so I expect Canadian mileage estimates will be similar to these models...

My current VW diesel wagon due to its lightweight, size of care, lack of AWD, and small engine (2.0L) and so on gets great mileage (40city/58 hwy Can Imperial mpg estimate) but can't compare with a Jeep in reliability, durability, and winter performance....My problem with it is... it is really only a 3 season vehicle...it is downright scary in winter (especially without snow tires) and tends to freeze up and shut down systems in the cold (like the defroster for one), especially when not garaged....also, the small interior is bland and simply cheap plastics, even on the most expensive trim line is unimpressive...

...while i first thought it is not reasonable to purchase a vehicle for winter alone, I am rethinking that decision....I can tell you that all the many years I drove a Jeep Gr Ch, I always felt confident in its abilities to get me where I needed to go, regardless of the weather....and given the times we live in, cost of gas and the environmental concerns, I am glad Jeep is coming back with a diesel version in their mid-sized model....I hope they do offer this engine, in the future, in all its models, not just the top of the line Gr CH... and also hopefully offer diesels in the other Jeeps in the lineup as well....maybe a 2.0L diesel for them similar to VW...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 217
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1221
comnjeep is on a distinguished road
Re: Diesel People - Enlighten Me? (2014)

This is the kind of info i like to hear... Actual experience...

Glad i stuck with this thread... ; )
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 02-02-2013, 10:01 PM
weck's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wisco
Posts: 747
Thanks: 14
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 3669
weck has a reputation beyond reputeweck has a reputation beyond reputeweck has a reputation beyond reputeweck has a reputation beyond reputeweck has a reputation beyond reputeweck has a reputation beyond reputeweck has a reputation beyond reputeweck has a reputation beyond reputeweck has a reputation beyond reputeweck has a reputation beyond reputeweck has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diesel People - Enlighten Me? (2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandch View Post

My current VW diesel wagon due to its lightweight, size of care, lack of AWD, and small engine (2.0L) and so on gets great mileage (40city/58 hwy Can Imperial mpg estimate) but can't compare with a Jeep in reliability, durability, and winter performance....My problem with it is... it is really only a 3 season vehicle...it is downright scary in winter (especially without snow tires) and tends to freeze up and shut down systems in the cold (like the defroster for one), especially when not garaged....also, the small interior is bland and simply cheap plastics, even on the most expensive trim line is unimpressive.....
I too have a VW TDI sportwagen, I wouldn't call it a 3 season car but then again our definitions of winter are probably relative. Dead of winter here is temps in the single digits F, a few dips sub zero but have not experienced really cold weather (15-20 below) since owning the car.

Starts fine no matter what, but I have to agree trying to thaw a frozen windshield is a pain in the butt. We have resorted to having to use the recirc setting several times to try to get some heat into the cabin to thaw out enough to drive off safely. It really doesn't make much heat until you embark.

A couple posters from Europe in other threads mentioned the vw heating system is poor at best compared to other similar diesels over there...

As far as the tires, it is really easy to spin them due to all the torque on wet/snowy/salty roads. That took some getting used to... The funny looks I get when accedentally lighting them up from a stop (manual trans) while towing our camper is hilarious however.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 02-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Hacksaw's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 674
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1968
Hacksaw has a reputation beyond reputeHacksaw has a reputation beyond reputeHacksaw has a reputation beyond reputeHacksaw has a reputation beyond reputeHacksaw has a reputation beyond reputeHacksaw has a reputation beyond reputeHacksaw has a reputation beyond reputeHacksaw has a reputation beyond reputeHacksaw has a reputation beyond reputeHacksaw has a reputation beyond reputeHacksaw has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by weck View Post
I too have a VW TDI sportwagen, I wouldn't call it a 3 season car but then again our definitions of winter are probably relative. Dead of winter here is temps in the single digits F, a few dips sub zero but have not experienced really cold weather (15-20 below) since owning the car.

Starts fine no matter what, but I have to agree trying to thaw a frozen windshield is a pain in the butt. We have resorted to having to use the recirc setting several times to try to get some heat into the cabin to thaw out enough to drive off safely. It really doesn't make much heat until you embark.

A couple posters from Europe in other threads mentioned the vw heating system is poor at best compared to other similar diesels over there...

As far as the tires, it is really easy to spin them due to all the torque on wet/snowy/salty roads. That took some getting used to... The funny looks I get when accedentally lighting them up from a stop (manual trans) while towing our camper is hilarious however.
Don't you guys know VW has never had a decent defroster...I mean their defroster up until the Super Beetle was making it impossible to frost by having the inside of the glass just as cold as the outside...

Think Outside !- No Box Required.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 02-02-2013, 10:25 PM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,228
Thanks: 321
Thanked 350 Times in 306 Posts
Rep Power: 1801725
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diesel People - Enlighten Me? (2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksaw View Post
don't you guys know vw has never had a decent defroster...i mean their defroster up until the super beetle was making it impossible to frost by having the inside of the glass just as cold as the outside...
tradition!
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...

... pull over to the side of the road!

Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 02-02-2013, 10:36 PM
weck's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wisco
Posts: 747
Thanks: 14
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 3669
weck has a reputation beyond reputeweck has a reputation beyond reputeweck has a reputation beyond reputeweck has a reputation beyond reputeweck has a reputation beyond reputeweck has a reputation beyond reputeweck has a reputation beyond reputeweck has a reputation beyond reputeweck has a reputation beyond reputeweck has a reputation beyond reputeweck has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diesel People - Enlighten Me? (2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
Don't you guys know VW has never had a decent defroster...I mean their defroster up until the Super Beetle was making it impossible to frost by having the inside of the glass just as cold as the outside...

Think Outside !- No Box Required.
The rear defrost works pretty good....
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
poll: 20" Wheels on 2014 Overland vs. 2014 Summit jgc4ever Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 14 08-18-2013 12:17 AM
2014 Diesel Question JABEACHFANZ Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee 34 04-10-2013 11:23 AM
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2014 MB E-class Comparison Dan JGC Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 7 01-15-2013 10:39 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community