Chrysler Replacing Transmission :: 2014 Jeep SRT - Page 2 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 > WK2 SRT General Discussion > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #13  
Old 02-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 283
Thanks: 594
Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
Rep Power: 1236
tones_SRT is on a distinguished road
Re: Chrysler Replacing Transmission :: 2014 Jeep SRT

Man,....that sucks to read about all these transmission issues. Kind of makes me nervous on buying a 2015 SRT Jeep. Especially when spending that kind of money and it will be my daily driver.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post
These incidents are becoming less isolated. I think a lot of it is still software related...these ZF trannys are in tons of cars without half the problems we're seeing.
^If it is software realted,...would a flash to the ECM or PCM do the fix instead of replacing transmissions and torque converters? Very interesting.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14  
Old 02-20-2015, 06:08 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 420
Thanks: 16
Thanked 73 Times in 59 Posts
Rep Power: 1403
rlarsen462 is on a distinguished road
Re: Chrysler Replacing Transmission :: 2014 Jeep SRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones_SRT View Post
^If it is software realted,...would a flash to the ECM or PCM do the fix instead of replacing transmissions and torque converters? Very interesting.
Well, it's certainly possible, but so far there haven't been any significant flash upgrades for the 2015 that have made any difference to the harsh 6-5, 5-4 + clunking noise issue, which is why they are replacing transmissions. Given the experiences so far, I am starting to wonder if there isn't also an issue in the rear end (the clunk definitely seems to be coming from the rear of the vehicle at times, but it's hard to localize sounds properly from inside the vehicle anyway).

Mine's going in again tomorrow for the transmission swap, as well as a long list of other issues I'm having...I think I just got a bad one all around to be honest. I am working with a good case manager and will probably end up in a buyback/lemon situation unfortunately, but I'm willing to gamble on ordering another 2015 SRT as a replacement on the chance that all these issues are isolated to a certain run of vehicles. I really do like the truck and there's frankly nothing else on the market in the price range that's comparable.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rlarsen462 For This Useful Post:
  #15  
Old 02-20-2015, 07:17 PM
Jsboening's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Rockford, MI
Posts: 1,166
Thanks: 195
Thanked 288 Times in 221 Posts
Rep Power: 2741
Jsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chrysler Replacing Transmission :: 2014 Jeep SRT

It's been really cold here the past week and I've noticed that mine doesn't start clunking until the trans temp gets above about 160 degrees F. Once it's in the 200 range it does the 6-5 clunk almost all the time it even throws in the occasional 3-2 clunk now. I really like this Jeep, but if I had to choose between a buy back or a replacement I'm not so sure I'd want another one at this point.


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #16  
Old 02-20-2015, 07:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 283
Thanks: 594
Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
Rep Power: 1236
tones_SRT is on a distinguished road
Re: Chrysler Replacing Transmission :: 2014 Jeep SRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post
Well, it's certainly possible, but so far there haven't been any significant flash upgrades for the 2015 that have made any difference to the harsh 6-5, 5-4 + clunking noise issue, which is why they are replacing transmissions. Given the experiences so far, I am starting to wonder if there isn't also an issue in the rear end (the clunk definitely seems to be coming from the rear of the vehicle at times, but it's hard to localize sounds properly from inside the vehicle anyway).

Mine's going in again tomorrow for the transmission swap, as well as a long list of other issues I'm having...I think I just got a bad one all around to be honest. I am working with a good case manager and will probably end up in a buyback/lemon situation unfortunately, but I'm willing to gamble on ordering another 2015 SRT as a replacement on the chance that all these issues are isolated to a certain run of vehicles. I really do like the truck and there's frankly nothing else on the market in the price range that's comparable.
You are probably correct about it possibly being the rear end clunking. I just hear about this clunking issue and it worries me. I don't want to go out and buy a 70k vehicle and have to worry about it's longevity or any transmission/electrical/temperature troubles. It seems all to familiar with the SRT version, unfortunately.
And I do agree that the Jeep SRT 8 is the baddest looking and fastest vehicle for the money in it's class. I would definitely want one, but we'll see how it goes.
Good luck with your Jeep. Hopefully it will be fixed once and for all.
Let us know how you make out.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-20-2015, 11:23 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 420
Thanks: 16
Thanked 73 Times in 59 Posts
Rep Power: 1403
rlarsen462 is on a distinguished road
Re: Chrysler Replacing Transmission :: 2014 Jeep SRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsboening View Post
It's been really cold here the past week and I've noticed that mine doesn't start clunking until the trans temp gets above about 160 degrees F. Once it's in the 200 range it does the 6-5 clunk almost all the time it even throws in the occasional 3-2 clunk now. I really like this Jeep, but if I had to choose between a buy back or a replacement I'm not so sure I'd want another one at this point.


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
I have 100% the same behavior, the trans has to be warmed up, and then it clunks/thunks like crazy on downshifts...when it's cold it is still jerky but it doesn't make the noise.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-20-2015, 11:51 PM
GoPlzGo's Avatar
formerly 14summithemi
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 3,509
Thanks: 492
Thanked 665 Times in 546 Posts
Rep Power: 26134
GoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chrysler Replacing Transmission :: 2014 Jeep SRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post
...These incidents are becoming less isolated. I think a lot of it is still software related...these ZF trannys are in tons of cars without half the problems we're seeing.
FWIW, I would say 80-90% of the problem units discussed on this forum are for the ZF 845RE mated to only the V6 rigs. Many post their problems on here and generically talk about their 8 spd ZF tranny and yet most are V6 (845RE) trannies. Agreed there are a small bunch of 5.7/6.4/3.0 owners having problems with their ZF 8HP70 trannies but nowhere near the level of the V6 owners. And even then that is likely a very small % of the population.

Not at all trying to minimize your or others' issues with their 5.7/6.4/3.0 trannies just trying to keep this discussion in a more total population perspective.

That said, having a replacement tranny suffer the same issues....that just sucks! Good news is they are totally in/out modular so when (if ) you get a good one, you are set!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-21-2015, 06:23 AM
Jsboening's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Rockford, MI
Posts: 1,166
Thanks: 195
Thanked 288 Times in 221 Posts
Rep Power: 2741
Jsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chrysler Replacing Transmission :: 2014 Jeep SRT

What I can't except is my service department telling me this is a normal condition for this vehicle. I've never owned a vehicle with such awful transmission. Especially a $70k vehicle. The two Allison transmissions in my 2500HD's put this to shame. It really has soured me on this vehicle. It is such a shame, because it is so nice in every other way. It's so frustrating to not be able to come to a stop without the head shaking jerk forward. Why Chrysler? Why?


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jsboening For This Useful Post:
  #20  
Old 02-21-2015, 10:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 283
Thanks: 594
Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
Rep Power: 1236
tones_SRT is on a distinguished road
Re: Chrysler Replacing Transmission :: 2014 Jeep SRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsboening View Post
What I can't except is my service department telling me this is a normal condition for this vehicle. I've never owned a vehicle with such awful transmission. Especially a $70k vehicle.
Exactly! If the service department said that it is normal, that's pretty darn poor. I would ask them if they would buy a 70K vehicle which clunks and makes noise on downshifts. I doubt they would. That's poor. I would personally let SRT know about that dealership.
Especially for a 70k vehicle. There should be no major issues.
Every once in a while there will be "issues", I get that, but not when it's a repetitive issue like the downshift clunks. More than one person is reporting on that issue.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-21-2015, 02:45 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 420
Thanks: 16
Thanked 73 Times in 59 Posts
Rep Power: 1403
rlarsen462 is on a distinguished road
Re: Chrysler Replacing Transmission :: 2014 Jeep SRT

Well mine went in today for its (first) trans replacement among a few other QC issues that need to be resolved.

At this point, I either get a vehicle back that's 100% to my satisfaction, or Chrysler is buying this one back and I'll try my luck elsewhere for my 70 grand.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rlarsen462 For This Useful Post:
  #22  
Old 02-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Jsboening's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Rockford, MI
Posts: 1,166
Thanks: 195
Thanked 288 Times in 221 Posts
Rep Power: 2741
Jsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chrysler Replacing Transmission :: 2014 Jeep SRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post
Well mine went in today for its (first) trans replacement among a few other QC issues that need to be resolved.



At this point, I either get a vehicle back that's 100% to my satisfaction, or Chrysler is buying this one back and I'll try my luck elsewhere for my 70 grand.

Have you gotten Chrysler to agree to a buy back?


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-21-2015, 07:34 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 420
Thanks: 16
Thanked 73 Times in 59 Posts
Rep Power: 1403
rlarsen462 is on a distinguished road
Re: Chrysler Replacing Transmission :: 2014 Jeep SRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsboening View Post
Have you gotten Chrysler to agree to a buy back?
I have to let the repair situation run its course, but I do not anticipate any pushback if/when it comes to that. My goal is to have a 100% working machine, if they're not able to deliver that in a reasonably timely manner (30-45 days) then the buyback or replacement will occur.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rlarsen462 For This Useful Post:
  #24  
Old 02-22-2015, 08:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 283
Thanks: 594
Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
Rep Power: 1236
tones_SRT is on a distinguished road
Re: Chrysler Replacing Transmission :: 2014 Jeep SRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlarsen462 View Post
I have to let the repair situation run its course, but I do not anticipate any pushback if/when it comes to that. My goal is to have a 100% working machine, if they're not able to deliver that in a reasonably timely manner (30-45 days) then the buyback or replacement will occur.
Good for you. I would do the same. How does the "buy back" actually work?
I am very interested in a 2015/2016 SRT 8 Jeep, but don't know if I want to spend all that money on a vehicle that will give me headaches.
GOOD LUCK!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2014, SRT, jeep, 2014 jeep srt, jeep srt

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Key fob replacing the jeep logo with srt? mlarco52 Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 139 11-30-2014 07:23 PM
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT Reveal Presentation - Paul Eccles @ Performance Chrysler mangoe Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 4 04-30-2013 12:35 AM
Replacing my Transmission fluid soon Amelie Troubleshooting/Problems 5 10-19-2011 10:29 PM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.