Paint coming off rear fender flares - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 > WK2 SRT General Discussion > Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 09-11-2016, 04:27 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 236
Thanks: 16
Thanked 39 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 582
Tinman4181 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Paint coming off rear fender flares

Anyone had any issues with the paint coming off their fender flares? Just noticed the paint peeling off my rear fender flares where they make contact with the vehicle. Its just along the edges.

__________________
- 2015 SRT -
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-11-2016, 07:24 PM
JRekasie's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Adams Twp., PA
Posts: 349
Thanks: 8
Thanked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Rep Power: 3027
JRekasie is on a distinguished road
Re: Paint coming off rear fender flares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman4181 View Post
Anyone had any issues with the paint coming off their fender flares? Just noticed the paint peeling off my rear fender flares where they make contact with the vehicle. Its just along the edges.


I too had this issue on my white SRT. I took it to the dealer to see if I could get the fender flares painted as there doesn't seem to be enough protective clear wrap on the flares from the factory. They obviously said no, but you never know until you ask. I just got mine painted three days ago for about $400. I have to wait a few more days before reapplying the clear wrap.
__________________
2016 Infiniti QX60 White / Wheat - Loaded
2015 Grand Cherokee SRT White / Black




Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-11-2016, 07:49 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 236
Thanks: 16
Thanked 39 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 582
Tinman4181 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Paint coming off rear fender flares

Mine are along the top leading edge not the bottom where the clearning bra is. Mine only has 400 miles on it so the dealer should have no issue correcting this.
__________________
- 2015 SRT -
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-13-2016, 08:39 AM
JRekasie's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Adams Twp., PA
Posts: 349
Thanks: 8
Thanked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Rep Power: 3027
JRekasie is on a distinguished road
Re: Paint coming off rear fender flares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman4181 View Post
Mine are along the top leading edge not the bottom where the clearning bra is. Mine only has 400 miles on it so the dealer should have no issue correcting this.


I had issue at same location that you described. More clear bra stuff should do the trick now that I've repaired it.
__________________
2016 Infiniti QX60 White / Wheat - Loaded
2015 Grand Cherokee SRT White / Black




Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-13-2016, 09:17 AM
sost1sg's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 295
Thanks: 189
Thanked 72 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 2245
sost1sg is on a distinguished road
Paint coming off rear fender flares

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRekasie View Post
I had issue at same location that you described. More clear bra stuff should do the trick now that I've repaired it.

Being aware of this issue when I bought my 15 new, I had extra clear bra put on these fenders. My SRT is black and the fender paint is definitely protected but the clear bra is clearly getting noticeably nicked up. It is self healing but some of the stone gouges have gotten it good. At least the paint is protected and when the bra gets too chopped up, I'll have it removed and reapplied. Cheaper than painting.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-13-2016, 11:16 AM
Governor's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,237
Thanks: 380
Thanked 198 Times in 184 Posts
Rep Power: 78427
Governor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paint coming off rear fender flares

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRekasie View Post
I too had this issue on my white SRT. I took it to the dealer to see if I could get the fender flares painted as there doesn't seem to be enough protective clear wrap on the flares from the factory. They obviously said no, but you never know until you ask. I just got mine painted three days ago for about $400. I have to wait a few more days before reapplying the clear wrap.
New paint will release reducer into the atmosphere for up to a month as part of the curing process. It is recommended by paint manufacturers to not wax new paint for a month as it could trap the reducer under the wax, inside the paint, creating paint problems. I would give that new clear wrap on the new paint the same amount of time, about a month.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-13-2016, 01:07 PM
sost1sg's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 295
Thanks: 189
Thanked 72 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 2245
sost1sg is on a distinguished road
Paint coming off rear fender flares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Governor View Post
New paint will release reducer into the atmosphere for up to a month as part of the curing process. It is recommended by paint manufacturers to not wax new paint for a month as it could trap the reducer under the wax, inside the paint, creating paint problems. I would give that new clear wrap on the new paint the same amount of time, about a month.

Lol by then it will be all chipped up again. Sometimes u just have to take the risk. I'd cover it up personally. The SRTs wide tires really fling stones at the rear fenders no matter what u do - short of mud flaps. And that would just be ridiculous on an SRT!!


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-13-2016, 09:06 PM
JRekasie's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Adams Twp., PA
Posts: 349
Thanks: 8
Thanked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Rep Power: 3027
JRekasie is on a distinguished road
Re: Paint coming off rear fender flares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Governor View Post
New paint will release reducer into the atmosphere for up to a month as part of the curing process. It is recommended by paint manufacturers to not wax new paint for a month as it could trap the reducer under the wax, inside the paint, creating paint problems. I would give that new clear wrap on the new paint the same amount of time, about a month.


I was told to wait for clear and for ceramic pro as the same guy will do both. I called today to see if he can put the bra back on and he responded with a definite no. He won't touch it until its been 30 days. I'm being as careful as I can.
__________________
2016 Infiniti QX60 White / Wheat - Loaded
2015 Grand Cherokee SRT White / Black




Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-13-2016, 09:24 PM
SRT8BAIT's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Livonia, MI
Posts: 156
Thanks: 12
Thanked 93 Times in 44 Posts
Rep Power: 15936
SRT8BAIT has a reputation beyond reputeSRT8BAIT has a reputation beyond reputeSRT8BAIT has a reputation beyond reputeSRT8BAIT has a reputation beyond reputeSRT8BAIT has a reputation beyond reputeSRT8BAIT has a reputation beyond reputeSRT8BAIT has a reputation beyond reputeSRT8BAIT has a reputation beyond reputeSRT8BAIT has a reputation beyond reputeSRT8BAIT has a reputation beyond reputeSRT8BAIT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paint coming off rear fender flares

Quote:
Originally Posted by sost1sg View Post
Being aware of this issue when I bought my 15 new, I had extra clear bra put on these fenders. My SRT is black and the fender paint is definitely protected but the clear bra is clearly getting noticeably nicked up. It is self healing but some of the stone gouges have gotten it good. At least the paint is protected and when the bra gets too chopped up, I'll have it removed and reapplied. Cheaper than painting.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Ain't that the truth...my lower rear rocker area is beat
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SRT8BAIT For This Useful Post:
  #10  
Old 09-21-2016, 08:44 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 236
Thanks: 16
Thanked 39 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 582
Tinman4181 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Paint coming off rear fender flares

Dealer sent in pics today. Hopefully won't take long for approval and can get items fixed quickly.
__________________
- 2015 SRT -
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-21-2016, 09:32 PM
JRekasie's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Adams Twp., PA
Posts: 349
Thanks: 8
Thanked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Rep Power: 3027
JRekasie is on a distinguished road
Re: Paint coming off rear fender flares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman4181 View Post
Dealer sent in pics today. Hopefully won't take long for approval and can get items fixed quickly.


They denied me with the quickness.....
__________________
2016 Infiniti QX60 White / Wheat - Loaded
2015 Grand Cherokee SRT White / Black




Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-22-2016, 11:21 AM
Scottina06's Avatar
JeepGarage Founder
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Berea, Kentucky
Posts: 52,204
Thanks: 1,735
Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,307 Posts
Rep Power: 7789095
Scottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Paint coming off rear fender flares

Can we see pics....I have a 3 year old 2014 with no damage in those areas
__________________
SCOTT
The HARDER you work...the LUCKIER you are!
2014 REDLINE red Jeep SRT "BLOODIED" 1 of 1
2013 JKU Wrangler 10A-stormtrooper'ed, JW Speaker and more!
Previous JEEP rides-
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-deep cherry
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo-inferno red



Twitter-The_Jeep_Guy
Instagram-thejeep_guy

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WK/SRT8 Fender flares-who's interested? Scottina06 Visual Modifications 85 10-06-2016 10:54 PM
Fender flares falling off Seanlefe Interior/Exterior/Visual 24 02-23-2016 10:50 PM
Fender flares coming unstuck anyone? cyanideg Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 89 12-28-2015 11:59 PM
Removing rear fender flares cmMERC Interior/Exterior/Visual 2 03-16-2015 07:36 PM
Lets try this again....FENDER FLARES! Scottina06 Visual Modifications 24 07-07-2010 02:31 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.