Whispbar roof rack pics on 2015 SRT - Page 4 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 > WK2 SRT General Discussion > Interior/Exterior/Visual

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #37  
Old 09-21-2015, 01:16 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
bsm1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Whispbar roof rack pics on 2015 SRT

Followed the instructions from the forum, and put the Whisbar flush rack, then a loadmaster basket on my 2 week old 2015 JGC Altitude. The S25 flush 950 & 100, fit kit K624 worked perfectly as described here. Thanks Much!

Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bsm1 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #38  
Old 09-29-2015, 09:50 PM
tuned8e's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 439
Thanks: 31
Thanked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 2021
tuned8e is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Whispbar roof rack pics on 2015 SRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsm1 View Post
Followed the instructions from the forum, and put the Whisbar flush rack, then a loadmaster basket on my 2 week old 2015 JGC Altitude. The S25 flush 950 & 100, fit kit K624 worked perfectly as described here. Thanks Much!
looks good, I think that would drive me crazy though not being able to move the bars forward or backward - I guess in this scenario you don't really have to but with ski racks you do
__________________
Ben // North Bay CA
12 WK2 Altitude
Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks / Overland Roof Rails / Mopar Cross Bars / SRT Bixenon Headlights / AFE CAI / JW Speaker 6145 Fog Lights / JL Stealthbox
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tuned8e For This Useful Post:
  #39  
Old 09-30-2015, 01:48 PM
Vtac2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Westcoast BC
Posts: 136
Thanks: 32
Thanked 57 Times in 35 Posts
Rep Power: 1017
Vtac2 has a reputation beyond reputeVtac2 has a reputation beyond reputeVtac2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Whispbar roof rack pics on 2015 SRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuned8e View Post
looks good, I think that would drive me crazy though not being able to move the bars forward or backward - I guess in this scenario you don't really have to but with ski racks you do
It can be moved, but you are limited to the preset positions…..Ill have to take a quick look, but I believe there are 5 preset positions on each side. I had to move my rack forward one position, as the Thule box I have is massive and originally made contact with the lift gate.

The chrome GC OEM rails seen on other models are not strong enough to hold any substantial weight without bolting the rack into the preset positions. If you could adjust your rack/cargo on the flimsy rails, they would bend and rip off at speed. After looking at them I totally agree with what the Rack store advised. They weren't trying to sell me anything extra either, they just stated it was not necessary and the rack still had to bolt into preset positions. From a rack and cargo hold, the chrome rails are purely cosmetic.
__________________
07 Jeep JKUR, built not bought!
BW 2015 Jeep SRT
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vtac2 For This Useful Post:
  #40  
Old 10-01-2015, 11:03 AM
tuned8e's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 439
Thanks: 31
Thanked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 2021
tuned8e is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Whispbar roof rack pics on 2015 SRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtac2 View Post
It can be moved, but you are limited to the preset positions…..Ill have to take a quick look, but I believe there are 5 preset positions on each side. I had to move my rack forward one position, as the Thule box I have is massive and originally made contact with the lift gate.

The chrome GC OEM rails seen on other models are not strong enough to hold any substantial weight without bolting the rack into the preset positions. If you could adjust your rack/cargo on the flimsy rails, they would bend and rip off at speed. After looking at them I totally agree with what the Rack store advised. They weren't trying to sell me anything extra either, they just stated it was not necessary and the rack still had to bolt into preset positions. From a rack and cargo hold, the chrome rails are purely cosmetic.
I will politely disagree with your statement here. I would not hesitate to mount a full cargo box on my crossbars / OEM "bright" rails. They are rock solid.
__________________
Ben // North Bay CA
12 WK2 Altitude
Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks / Overland Roof Rails / Mopar Cross Bars / SRT Bixenon Headlights / AFE CAI / JW Speaker 6145 Fog Lights / JL Stealthbox
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-03-2015, 12:58 AM
Vtac2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Westcoast BC
Posts: 136
Thanks: 32
Thanked 57 Times in 35 Posts
Rep Power: 1017
Vtac2 has a reputation beyond reputeVtac2 has a reputation beyond reputeVtac2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Whispbar roof rack pics on 2015 SRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuned8e View Post
I will politely disagree with your statement here. I would not hesitate to mount a full cargo box on my crossbars / OEM "bright" rails. They are rock solid.
If you mount them into the preset holes yes, as nothing is actually attached to the chrome rails…..but the rails itself? not me…...I had originally ordered the OEM rails for the SRT….when I took them out of the box, upon inspection the chrome rail part was very thin and to me flimsy….The Rack store, (Rackattack) whom it is their business, confirmed my suspicion advising they wouldn't hold, and stating they were not required, hence why I sold them.

But if you feel they are good enough to attach 200+- lbs to the rail part only, have at it….I wouldn't take that chance. If you remove the rails from your roof, you will see how thin they are. To each their own. Cheers.
__________________
07 Jeep JKUR, built not bought!
BW 2015 Jeep SRT
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-04-2015, 10:57 AM
tuned8e's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 439
Thanks: 31
Thanked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 2021
tuned8e is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Whispbar roof rack pics on 2015 SRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtac2 View Post
If you mount them into the preset holes yes, as nothing is actually attached to the chrome rails…..but the rails itself? not me…...I had originally ordered the OEM rails for the SRT….when I took them out of the box, upon inspection the chrome rail part was very thin and to me flimsy….The Rack store, (Rackattack) whom it is their business, confirmed my suspicion advising they wouldn't hold, and stating they were not required, hence why I sold them.

But if you feel they are good enough to attach 200+- lbs to the rail part only, have at it….I wouldn't take that chance. If you remove the rails from your roof, you will see how thin they are. To each their own. Cheers.

(This is a picture of me, right now, reading this)

Again, I will politely disagree. I actually don't really know why I am giving my two cents on here but I will.

Not sure if you read this thread from the beginning but I am one of the first to switch from non-functional to functional rails.

If you are coming from non-functional to functional rails - the bright rail itself is bolted into the roof using 3 bolts each side aka it's not going ANYWHERE. Furthermore there are 2 more "locating" bolts which retain the bright rail's cover. Now, the OEM crossbars that attach to that securely bolted rail are torque'd down essentially gripping that rail again, not going anywhere.

200 lbs? I'll bungee cord rosie o'donnell, paula deen + an additional costco size bucket of butter up there and set my cruise to 80.

But - if you are super paranoid and feel more comfortable going this alternate way - great. No hurt feelings.

I just don't want you guys scaring other users on this forum regarding this method - that rail is not bending nor will it ever in this vehicle's lifetime unless I roll off some highway somewhere.
__________________
Ben // North Bay CA
12 WK2 Altitude
Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks / Overland Roof Rails / Mopar Cross Bars / SRT Bixenon Headlights / AFE CAI / JW Speaker 6145 Fog Lights / JL Stealthbox
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Vtac2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Westcoast BC
Posts: 136
Thanks: 32
Thanked 57 Times in 35 Posts
Rep Power: 1017
Vtac2 has a reputation beyond reputeVtac2 has a reputation beyond reputeVtac2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Whispbar roof rack pics on 2015 SRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuned8e View Post

(This is a picture of me, right now, reading this)

Again, I will politely disagree. I actually don't really know why I am giving my two cents on here but I will.

Not sure if you read this thread from the beginning but I am one of the first to switch from non-functional to functional rails.

If you are coming from non-functional to functional rails - the bright rail itself is bolted into the roof using 3 bolts each side aka it's not going ANYWHERE. Furthermore there are 2 more "locating" bolts which retain the bright rail's cover. Now, the OEM crossbars that attach to that securely bolted rail are torque'd down essentially gripping that rail again, not going anywhere.

200 lbs? I'll bungee cord rosie o'donnell, paula deen + an additional costco size bucket of butter up there and set my cruise to 80.

But - if you are super paranoid and feel more comfortable going this alternate way - great. No hurt feelings.

I just don't want you guys scaring other users on this forum regarding this method - that rail is not bending nor will it ever in this vehicle's lifetime unless I roll off some highway somewhere.
haha….well opinions are like assholes….everyone has one.
__________________
07 Jeep JKUR, built not bought!
BW 2015 Jeep SRT
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-04-2015, 01:39 PM
tuned8e's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 439
Thanks: 31
Thanked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 2021
tuned8e is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Whispbar roof rack pics on 2015 SRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtac2 View Post
haha….well opinions are like assholes….everyone has one.
haha there you go
__________________
Ben // North Bay CA
12 WK2 Altitude
Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks / Overland Roof Rails / Mopar Cross Bars / SRT Bixenon Headlights / AFE CAI / JW Speaker 6145 Fog Lights / JL Stealthbox
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tuned8e For This Useful Post:
  #45  
Old 10-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1521
KMAC720 is on a distinguished road
Re: Whispbar roof rack pics on 2015 SRT

I can verify that Tuned's rails are solid. After an argument during a ski trip I rode on said rails from Boyne Higlands to about the Grand Rapids area before he allowed me to ride inside again. I'm about 180, but was easily 200+ in my snowboarding gear to avoid hypothermia.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 10-05-2015, 12:30 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 605
Thanks: 98
Thanked 246 Times in 134 Posts
Rep Power: 15709
wk2project has a reputation beyond reputewk2project has a reputation beyond reputewk2project has a reputation beyond reputewk2project has a reputation beyond reputewk2project has a reputation beyond reputewk2project has a reputation beyond reputewk2project has a reputation beyond reputewk2project has a reputation beyond reputewk2project has a reputation beyond reputewk2project has a reputation beyond reputewk2project has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Whispbar roof rack pics on 2015 SRT

$396 free ship @ amazon http://www.amazon.com/Whispbar-S25-F...s=whispbar+s25
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-07-2015, 06:03 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
bsm1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Whispbar roof rack pics on 2015 SRT

So if I understand the comment about skis, is that because it seems to have an angle to it, front up, which make make the skis a sail??
if so it will do the same with the basket filled with camping stuff. I'll look at moving it forward. This was not an issue for my basket or skis on my old xterra, was flat so they didn't catch air.

The jeep roof seems to slope backwards, so this may be an issue difficult to avoid.
Any work arounds to keep the air flow from catching the skis or camping equipment?
Thanks
b
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-16-2015, 02:25 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Scottsdale
Posts: 605
Thanks: 98
Thanked 246 Times in 134 Posts
Rep Power: 15709
wk2project has a reputation beyond reputewk2project has a reputation beyond reputewk2project has a reputation beyond reputewk2project has a reputation beyond reputewk2project has a reputation beyond reputewk2project has a reputation beyond reputewk2project has a reputation beyond reputewk2project has a reputation beyond reputewk2project has a reputation beyond reputewk2project has a reputation beyond reputewk2project has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Whispbar roof rack pics on 2015 SRT

Really happy with the whispbar setup. And my Curt rack too...



Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wk2project For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
2015, SRT

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yakima Whispbar S25 Flush 2014 Grand Cherokee MotionxxUSxx Interior/Exterior/Visual 18 06-30-2015 02:36 PM
Rack Attack Rails & Yakima Roof Rack - Pics moosehead Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 39 09-20-2013 07:12 PM
Roof rack or no Roof rack? Sigz Interior/Exterior/Visual 15 03-18-2013 12:51 PM
Whispbar Update Batwing Interior/Exterior/Visual 9 09-02-2012 02:16 PM
Whispbar Roof Rack??? Batwing Interior/Exterior/Visual 10 05-02-2012 08:02 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.