14' forged 426 turbo - Page 3 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 > WK2 SRT Performance Discussion > Engine Performance/Intakes and Exhausts/Superchargers/Turbos

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 04-28-2016, 05:54 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Posts: 501
Thanks: 22
Thanked 84 Times in 61 Posts
Rep Power: 7830
Carbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 14' forged 426 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by C13Moridin View Post
First dyno report pretty much the same for pump gas (shown earlier). 104 octane tune completed yesterday (will post pic of sheet later) now has max HP at 1060 and torque at 1010 (Mustang Dyno at 3600ft)
Wow, wished I lived in Lubbock still, would join Lank on the drive up to check out your beast! Did SHR do the entire build? Who in West Texas has been helping you with tuning?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #26  
Old 04-29-2016, 01:49 PM
C13Moridin's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 7.0L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Amarillo, TX
Posts: 45
Thanks: 16
Thanked 56 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 670
C13Moridin is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: 14' forged 426 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon6 View Post
Wow, wished I lived in Lubbock still, would join Lank on the drive up to check out your beast! Did SHR do the entire build? Who in West Texas has been helping you with tuning?
SHR built the engine and transmission. TES has basically rebuilt everything (original exhaust too low, so redone. Wastegates improperly placed, so redone. Exhaust/charge side tubing redone. Turbo too small, replaced. OEM headgaskets leaked, so pulling heads and replacing heads with custom Thitek heads and Cometic seals.) TES has redone all that plus done all the tuning. Its there now waiting on new heads and we are working on the possibility of port-matching a 6.1 intake and coupling that with a hellcat throttle body for better airflow
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C13Moridin For This Useful Post:
  #27  
Old 05-02-2016, 04:28 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Posts: 501
Thanks: 22
Thanked 84 Times in 61 Posts
Rep Power: 7830
Carbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 14' forged 426 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by C13Moridin View Post
SHR built the engine and transmission. TES has basically rebuilt everything (original exhaust too low, so redone. Wastegates improperly placed, so redone. Exhaust/charge side tubing redone. Turbo too small, replaced. OEM headgaskets leaked, so pulling heads and replacing heads with custom Thitek heads and Cometic seals.) TES has redone all that plus done all the tuning. Its there now waiting on new heads and we are working on the possibility of port-matching a 6.1 intake and coupling that with a hellcat throttle body for better airflow
Sucks that you've had to deal with all that but happy to hear you have someone more local to workout the kinks!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-02-2016, 05:40 PM
C13Moridin's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 7.0L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Amarillo, TX
Posts: 45
Thanks: 16
Thanked 56 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 670
C13Moridin is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: 14' forged 426 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon6 View Post
Sucks that you've had to deal with all that but happy to hear you have someone more local to workout the kinks!
Yeah, TES has been an absolute blessing. Every bit of work they do is planned out to the T and some of the best work I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot). They were the ones to actually break the 6.4 boost "jerk" in the tune that was stumping so many people. As it is, I would recommend them to anyone anywhere for performance work. Just wished I had found them faster. It's only costing me an additional 30K to fix my brand new 50K motor :/
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-02-2016, 05:58 PM
GoPlzGo's Avatar
formerly 14summithemi
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 3,155
Thanks: 339
Thanked 561 Times in 470 Posts
Rep Power: 25576
GoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 14' forged 426 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by C13Moridin View Post
...It's only costing me an additional 30K to fix my brand new 50K motor :/
sheeit!
__________________
'15 JGC SRT Bright White Red Vapor...Borla ATAK Cat-back w/ ceramic coated axle-back, aFe Momentum GT Pro 5R Stage-2 Intake & Billet Tech Oil Catch Can
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-02-2016, 06:09 PM
C13Moridin's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 7.0L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Amarillo, TX
Posts: 45
Thanks: 16
Thanked 56 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 670
C13Moridin is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: 14' forged 426 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPlzGo View Post
sheeit!
lol, you have no idea.... SHR bill was 50 and change. Just got off the phone with TES, who is now swapping stock heads for full custom Thitek heads, working on a 6.1 port matched intake swap, just got off phone with Dan from Fastman on a custom Hellcat TB and adapter plate. This is gonna be 10K on top of 20 Ive already spent at TES having 75% of my original build redone. Literally the only things that havent been redone so far are the crank and pistons. Id say the Fore fuel system was left alone, but no, it needs to be re-routed because they installed it at SHR with a front-mount, single passover. For this build, to keep pressures even in both rails it needs to split proximal to the rails, not crossover the distal.

Did look good at a local car show on Sat tho
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13119886_1727439984141423_7914109326586751587_o.jpg (389.0 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C13Moridin For This Useful Post:
  #31  
Old 05-02-2016, 06:18 PM
GoPlzGo's Avatar
formerly 14summithemi
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 3,155
Thanks: 339
Thanked 561 Times in 470 Posts
Rep Power: 25576
GoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 14' forged 426 turbo

so any chance SHR gives u some dough back? yeah, right!

accountability, the missing thing in this world these days...
__________________
'15 JGC SRT Bright White Red Vapor...Borla ATAK Cat-back w/ ceramic coated axle-back, aFe Momentum GT Pro 5R Stage-2 Intake & Billet Tech Oil Catch Can
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-06-2016, 03:25 PM
C13Moridin's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 7.0L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Amarillo, TX
Posts: 45
Thanks: 16
Thanked 56 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 670
C13Moridin is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: 14' forged 426 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPlzGo View Post
so any chance SHR gives u some dough back? yeah, right!

accountability, the missing thing in this world these days...
Funny you should ask that question. New update time. OK, TES received the Fastman 95mm TB, the Thitek custom CNC heads and port-matched a 6.1 intake to it. The stock heads were removed and was confirmed that SHR put OEM fiber gaskets in a significantly boosted build and the gaskets were shredded. Apparently, this was the root cause of the overheating issue since day 1, a blown head gasket, not the overflow basin. Well, with the heads off, TES could inspect the tops of the pistons and verified that the tops were melted. They let me know and I said pull the engine. They did and took it apart to see what was in it (we never got a build list or spec sheet from SHR, so they had to take it apart to see what all was in it.) All parts and part numbers collected and manufacturers consulted to inquire about spec, load capabilities, power, etc.Turns out, the pistons aren't all that bad. Rated to about 900HP on a boosted build. Not the best. Not the worst. The crank is a Callies Compstar crank, an entry-level crank that, per Callies, can make 1000HP, but they don't recommend a daily driver exceed 600-700 HP at the flywheel with this particular crank cause of longevity issues. The tech/rep for Callies actually suggested we use a different brand cause he wasnt even sure anything other than the Ultra Billet crank could stand that kind of power. The rods are Molnar H-Beam rods, but the ones installed are built for the GM LS platform, not Hemi. These rods hold the piston slightly off-center and were chewing up the bottom side of the piston when it contacted it every revolution. Basically, come to find improper part usage and entry-mid level parts used with top dollar price tag and now having to scrap the entire short block (cylinders chewed up) and rebuild it. Good thing is, I totally trust the guys I'm working with. Been up front and Johnny on the spot since I met them (they even built my wife's Hellcat Charger). New plan is to replace block with a Hellcat 6.2 block, 2000+HP rated stroker crank, Molnar Pro I-Beam rods and custom fabricated pistons more than capable of meeting my goals of 1000+ rwhp on race gas/e85. I've already paid for a spot in the Gas Monkey car show in Dallas Aug 20th and they assure me they can have it done by then. If that holds true, Ill have another update at that time with pics. BTW, all totaled, TES has charged me less overall for diagnosing and completely remaking this build, top to bottom, with better parts and service, a manufacturers guarantee and twice the shop time, compared to SHR. My two cents for my experience. It entered SHR's shop 07/23/2015 and was in my possession 6 days total for the last calendar year and only ran "normal" after TES straightened several issues out. And that was only for 1 day until it overheated again and had to be flat-bedded back to Lubbock. Can't say it's been a fun ride, but it's been an educational one. Still, hope it comes to a close soon.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C13Moridin For This Useful Post:
  #33  
Old 07-06-2016, 04:30 PM
Lankness's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 1,077
Thanks: 112
Thanked 185 Times in 126 Posts
Rep Power: 1148508
Lankness has a reputation beyond reputeLankness has a reputation beyond reputeLankness has a reputation beyond reputeLankness has a reputation beyond reputeLankness has a reputation beyond reputeLankness has a reputation beyond reputeLankness has a reputation beyond reputeLankness has a reputation beyond reputeLankness has a reputation beyond reputeLankness has a reputation beyond reputeLankness has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 14' forged 426 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by C13Moridin View Post
.....Can't say it's been a fun ride, but it's been an educational one. Still, hope it comes to a close soon.
Sheesh - no kidding. Good to hear you have someone taking care of you. Can't wait to see the finished product.
__________________
-------------------------
Kevin

2014 Max Steel GC SRT, built by the bad boys at JNAP .
Livernois built 392 and Whipple Kit
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-06-2016, 10:42 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Posts: 501
Thanks: 22
Thanked 84 Times in 61 Posts
Rep Power: 7830
Carbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon6 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 14' forged 426 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by C13Moridin View Post
Funny you should ask that question. New update time. OK, TES received the Fastman 95mm TB, the Thitek custom CNC heads and port-matched a 6.1 intake to it. The stock heads were removed and was confirmed that SHR put OEM fiber gaskets in a significantly boosted build and the gaskets were shredded. Apparently, this was the root cause of the overheating issue since day 1, a blown head gasket, not the overflow basin. Well, with the heads off, TES could inspect the tops of the pistons and verified that the tops were melted. They let me know and I said pull the engine. They did and took it apart to see what was in it (we never got a build list or spec sheet from SHR, so they had to take it apart to see what all was in it.) All parts and part numbers collected and manufacturers consulted to inquire about spec, load capabilities, power, etc.Turns out, the pistons aren't all that bad. Rated to about 900HP on a boosted build. Not the best. Not the worst. The crank is a Callies Compstar crank, an entry-level crank that, per Callies, can make 1000HP, but they don't recommend a daily driver exceed 600-700 HP at the flywheel with this particular crank cause of longevity issues. The tech/rep for Callies actually suggested we use a different brand cause he wasnt even sure anything other than the Ultra Billet crank could stand that kind of power. The rods are Molnar H-Beam rods, but the ones installed are built for the GM LS platform, not Hemi. These rods hold the piston slightly off-center and were chewing up the bottom side of the piston when it contacted it every revolution. Basically, come to find improper part usage and entry-mid level parts used with top dollar price tag and now having to scrap the entire short block (cylinders chewed up) and rebuild it. Good thing is, I totally trust the guys I'm working with. Been up front and Johnny on the spot since I met them (they even built my wife's Hellcat Charger). New plan is to replace block with a Hellcat 6.2 block, 2000+HP rated stroker crank, Molnar Pro I-Beam rods and custom fabricated pistons more than capable of meeting my goals of 1000+ rwhp on race gas/e85. I've already paid for a spot in the Gas Monkey car show in Dallas Aug 20th and they assure me they can have it done by then. If that holds true, Ill have another update at that time with pics. BTW, all totaled, TES has charged me less overall for diagnosing and completely remaking this build, top to bottom, with better parts and service, a manufacturers guarantee and twice the shop time, compared to SHR. My two cents for my experience. It entered SHR's shop 07/23/2015 and was in my possession 6 days total for the last calendar year and only ran "normal" after TES straightened several issues out. And that was only for 1 day until it overheated again and had to be flat-bedded back to Lubbock. Can't say it's been a fun ride, but it's been an educational one. Still, hope it comes to a close soon.
Thats some bullsh!t right there... is there not any recourse that you could take? I'm not one to be sue crazy, but to build an engine with *I'm assuming* wrong parts just seems hennesseyish... You paid for a working/fuctioning product that you did not get. Is SHR aware of what has happened with your motor and/or have they offered you any recourse?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Step in...lets discuss the 426 and 440 Hemi's!!! Scottina06 Grand Cherokee SRT8 - WK 44 06-28-2010 07:30 PM
the REVEALING of my 426 Vortech Jeep!!! YoungMedic23 Members Rides 44 05-19-2010 05:55 AM
Dyno tuning of my 426 turbo engine mandan007 Performance Modifications 13 02-13-2010 07:44 PM
426 HEMI Jeep "Orange Crush" Megatron Off Road Modifications 31 10-16-2009 06:51 AM
426 for my Jeep LonghornSpencer Performance Modifications 24 07-07-2009 01:08 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.