Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Interior/Exterior/Visual

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 08-11-2013, 10:56 PM
rustypixel's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 80
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1030
rustypixel is on a distinguished road
2012 GC/lLooking to add trailer hitch

I don't know if I've posted this in the right forum but I'm sure the mods will take care of it if I didn't. I know absolutely nothing about trailer hitches and I'm finding that I'd like to get one to haul around two or three bicycles to the park and boardwalk. I've seen them priced from 140 - 360. Can someone point me in the right direction for what I'd need? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-12-2013, 06:15 PM
yocubed's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 101
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1441
yocubed is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: 2012 GC/lLooking to add trailer hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustypixel View Post
I don't know if I've posted this in the right forum but I'm sure the mods will take care of it if I didn't. I know absolutely nothing about trailer hitches and I'm finding that I'd like to get one to haul around two or three bicycles to the park and boardwalk. I've seen them priced from 140 - 360. Can someone point me in the right direction for what I'd need? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Does your GC already have the factory hitch? If not just4jeeps is a sponsor of our site and has discounted prices on the OEM hitch Jeep Grand Cherokee Hitch Receiver for 2011-2014 Grand Cherokee - Item # 82212180AB
If you already have the hitch but want a bicycle mount here's what you're looking for also at the same site Thule Hitch-Mount Bicycle Carrier 912XT & 914XT - Item # THVE9028 & # THVE9029 - Replaces TH912RWY & TH914RWY
__________________

__________________
2011 Overland 4x4 5.7L V8
Blackberry Pearl/Light Beige


2015 Audi S6 on order
Panther Black Crystal/Black
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-12-2013, 07:49 PM
rustypixel's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 80
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1030
rustypixel is on a distinguished road
Re: 2012 GC/lLooking to add trailer hitch

Thanks for the reply. I'll need to get the entire hitch as the truck doesn't have one from the factory. So what's the difference between the one you linked me to and others I've seen online that are installed just under the bumper? For example:

Class III Trailer Hitch Receiver (2 inch) 13182 [13182] - $157.54 : The Hitch Store, Trailer Hitches Online

If one is better than the other I'd like to know. I want to get this done right the first time. I appreciate your help with this.




Quote:
Originally Posted by yocubed View Post
Does your GC already have the factory hitch? If not just4jeeps is a sponsor of our site and has discounted prices on the OEM hitch Jeep Grand Cherokee Hitch Receiver for 2011-2014 Grand Cherokee - Item # 82212180AB
If you already have the hitch but want a bicycle mount here's what you're looking for also at the same site Thule Hitch-Mount Bicycle Carrier 912XT & 914XT - Item # THVE9028 & # THVE9029 - Replaces TH912RWY & TH914RWY
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-12-2013, 08:29 PM
yocubed's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 101
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1441
yocubed is on a distinguished road
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustypixel View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'll need to get the entire hitch as the truck doesn't have one from the factory. So what's the difference between the one you linked me to and others I've seen online that are installed just under the bumper? For example:

Class III Trailer Hitch Receiver (2 inch) 13182 [13182] - $157.54 : The Hitch Store, Trailer Hitches Online

If one is better than the other I'd like to know. I want to get this done right the first time. I appreciate your help with this.
The one I linked integrates into the factory bumper and is the same hitch you'd get from Jeep if yours came with one. That being said the install is a little more involved than one like you linked to. It would provide a completely factory appearing hitch, rather than having it protrude from under the bumper.
__________________
2011 Overland 4x4 5.7L V8
Blackberry Pearl/Light Beige


2015 Audi S6 on order
Panther Black Crystal/Black
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Todd3.6's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 367
Thanks: 1
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 328879
Todd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012 GC/lLooking to add trailer hitch

You can't go wrong with a Curt hitch, but as yocubed stated, the factory hitch will look much nicer.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-13-2013, 10:51 AM
rustypixel's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 80
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1030
rustypixel is on a distinguished road
Re: 2012 GC/lLooking to add trailer hitch

Thanks for the replies and information. I'm not that worried about not having the factory look and I'll be going for the Curt hitch. It's a heck of a lot easier of an install. I've spent some time reading reviews and it seems Curt is a good choice. Thanks again.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-14-2013, 07:38 AM
aedubber's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NNJ
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 931
aedubber is on a distinguished road
Re: 2012 GC/lLooking to add trailer hitch

I have this on my Jeep and works very good . Install was too easy . Just make sure you torque it down properly . Here is the link: Trailer Hitch for 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Hidden Hitch 87595

I do downhill mountain biking and i use a 1up bike rack for it. It easily holds 2 38-40lb bikes with no problem. I have traveled from state to state with no issues.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 289
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1218
turbospartan is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: 2012 GC/lLooking to add trailer hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by yocubed View Post
Does your GC already have the factory hitch? If not just4jeeps is a sponsor of our site and has discounted prices on the OEM hitch Jeep Grand Cherokee Hitch Receiver for 2011-2014 Grand Cherokee - Item # 82212180AB
If you already have the hitch but want a bicycle mount here's what you're looking for also at the same site Thule Hitch-Mount Bicycle Carrier 912XT & 914XT - Item # THVE9028 & # THVE9029 - Replaces TH912RWY & TH914RWY

Is that Hitch Receiver all you need to add to a non-trailer pkg Wk2?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-14-2013, 10:14 PM
rustypixel's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 80
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1030
rustypixel is on a distinguished road
As far as I can see thats all that's needed. I have no intention to haul anything more than two or three bikes and the hitch is all I plan to get and install and for about $150 and about 30 minutes for install, it's a good purchase.




Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post

Is that Hitch Receiver all you need to add to a non-trailer pkg Wk2?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What all do I need to add factory hitch? Jdsmitty10 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 21 11-17-2012 07:12 AM
Trailer hitch wingman1800 Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 4 12-20-2011 12:21 PM
Looking to add Hitch to 08 limited crazylikeacharger Grand Cherokee - WK 9 06-29-2011 04:15 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.