Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Interior/Exterior/Visual

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 04-01-2013, 11:14 PM
kevkaz's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 40
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 752
kevkaz has a reputation beyond reputekevkaz has a reputation beyond reputekevkaz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Hardwire Radar Detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperJohn View Post
Thanks for that. I did the same thing on my 2011 but there was a small access door on the back of the mirror to expose the wiring harness. Is this no longer there on the 2014?
I suppose you could maybe just pull the trim pieces off and try and dig in there, dunno if that would give you enough room to work. Taking the mirror off is much easier and it really isn't hard to put it back together...
__________________

__________________
2014 Jeep GC Overland Hemi
2009 BMW ///M3 - Garage Queen
1997 BMW ///M3 - Track Rat
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-01-2013, 11:16 PM
kevkaz's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 40
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 752
kevkaz has a reputation beyond reputekevkaz has a reputation beyond reputekevkaz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Clarification, please Re: 2014 Hardwire Radar Detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS360 View Post
Great write up, but got 2 question2:

Your first part says the entire mirror assembly is removed by pulling back, yet it appears in re-installation that one must twist it to engage the bolt already attached to the w)indshield.

Does one need to twist the assembly when removing the mirror as well or is it just pulled up or back? (If so, straight back or up?)

Also, was there room to hide the V1 power adapter inside the mirror housing?

Thanks again and well done.
Just pull the assembly as shown in the first picture. You won't be able to turn it because the trim will be in the way. You could try and remove the trim pieces individually first, though you may be more likely to break one of the tabs I would think - not sure.

I don't know what you mean by the adapter, one end of my invisicord has the two prongs that go into the harness and the other is an RJ-11 jack. I did not need an adapter.
__________________

__________________
2014 Jeep GC Overland Hemi
2009 BMW ///M3 - Garage Queen
1997 BMW ///M3 - Track Rat
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 996
JWS360 will become famous soon enough
Re: Clarification, please Re: 2014 Hardwire Radar Detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkaz View Post
Just pull the assembly as shown in the first picture. You won't be able to turn it because the trim will be in the way. You could try and remove the trim pieces individually first, though you may be more likely to break one of the tabs I would think - not sure.

I don't know what you mean by the adapter, one end of my invisicord has the two prongs that go into the harness and the other is an RJ-11 jack. I did not need an adapter.
Thanks, very helpful. I would not have thought one could simply "pull" the mirror off. Did you have to twist it to reinstall or did it just push back into place?

Didn't know that the Inviscord had a standard Rj11 jack. Must be showing my age since I never heard of them. What did you do for a fuse?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 PM
kevkaz's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 40
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 752
kevkaz has a reputation beyond reputekevkaz has a reputation beyond reputekevkaz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Clarification, please Re: 2014 Hardwire Radar Detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS360 View Post
Thanks, very helpful. I would not have thought one could simply "pull" the mirror off. Did you have to twist it to reinstall or did it just push back into place?

Didn't know that the Inviscord had a standard Rj11 jack. Must be showing my age since I never heard of them. What did you do for a fuse?
The mirror will pull off but you definitely need to twist it to put it back on.

I did not put a fuse in. Yes, I realize this could lead to a problem, it is pretty trivial to wire one in if you choose.
__________________
2014 Jeep GC Overland Hemi
2009 BMW ///M3 - Garage Queen
1997 BMW ///M3 - Track Rat
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-14-2013, 07:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 971
Burrogs is on a distinguished road
Just finished this install, definitely easy with the great write up. 2 notes:

1. If you are using the suction mount the definitely get at least the 15 inch chord. I went with the 20 per the rec and there's a couple of inches of slack, but not too much. You can always tuck away the extra.

2. My entire mirror assembly came off when I pulled up on the trim piece so be prepared for that possibility.

3. I used the mirror tap from blendmount and was confused by the instructions as it appears as if there is no room to insert the prongs into the connector. Well I decided to go ahead and throw caution to the wind and make them fit, aka cramthem into the noted slots per the instructions. it isn't pretty, but they barely went in. So... Since its not clear in the write up, just cram those suckers in there because while it looks impossible, that actually is what you are supposed to do.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-14-2013, 08:13 PM
kevkaz's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 40
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 752
kevkaz has a reputation beyond reputekevkaz has a reputation beyond reputekevkaz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Hardwire Radar Detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrogs View Post
Just finished this install, definitely easy with the great write up. 2 notes:

1. If you are using the suction mount the definitely get at least the 15 inch chord. I went with the 20 per the rec and there's a couple of inches of slack, but not too much. You can always tuck away the extra.

2. My entire mirror assembly came off when I pulled up on the trim piece so be prepared for that possibility.

3. I used the mirror tap from blendmount and was confused by the instructions as it appears as if there is no room to insert the prongs into the connector. Well I decided to go ahead and throw caution to the wind and make them fit, aka cramthem into the noted slots per the instructions. it isn't pretty, but they barely went in. So... Since its not clear in the write up, just cram those suckers in there because while it looks impossible, that actually is what you are supposed to do.
Yes, the mirror and two trim pieces can easily come off all together. You can try to get them off individually, but if it all comes off together it's no big deal.

Also if you use the Invisicord micro cable you won't have trouble putting them into the slots as the cable has very narrow connectors which fit nice and snug into the connector, no forcing necessary - just the right amount of resistance.
__________________

__________________
2014 Jeep GC Overland Hemi
2009 BMW ///M3 - Garage Queen
1997 BMW ///M3 - Track Rat
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hardwire that Radar Detector Chris Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications 18 01-28-2013 08:50 PM
How to "activate" a switch blank '08+ (radar detector hardwire remote mute/LEDs) JDubya Technical Tips/DIY/How-To 61 10-17-2012 09:34 PM
Radar Hardwire jeepwk1 Troubleshooting/Problems 10 02-05-2012 11:02 AM
Want to activate" a switch blank '08+ (radar detector hardwire remote mute/LEDs) Immo LXHarness 16 11-02-2011 01:42 AM
Where can I hardwire my Escort Passport 8500 radar detector in the WK? TheAngryMinnow Grand Cherokee - WK 9 04-16-2011 10:51 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.