2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP - Page 3 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Interior/Exterior/Visual

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 01-18-2016, 10:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 563
njlakeshoreg is on a distinguished road
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

I believe i have the XD kit with relay and it is not working well at all...just got cold here in north nersey and now they dont turn on right away. Never had a cold weathrr hid problem. Thinking of installing these ddm kit

Skunkd, whats up bro? Ddi you install them yet?? I hate relays and harnesses, i feel like a good kit should not need a relay harness kit. I want to rip out the rats nest of wires and get a good kit to pnp

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #26  
Old 01-18-2016, 10:36 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 778
Thanks: 2
Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Rep Power: 2692
Dabitz has a reputation beyond reputeDabitz has a reputation beyond reputeDabitz has a reputation beyond reputeDabitz has a reputation beyond reputeDabitz has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

I just spoke with the guy at DDM that tested the kit on the 2015 models. He ensured me it would work or he'll give me a full refund. He also said he has sold a bunch to the Dodge and Cherokee guys. I ordered one and will report back . I'm here in NJ too, hopefully it will be at least in the 30's when I get mine.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-19-2016, 07:17 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,264
Thanks: 9
Thanked 196 Times in 168 Posts
Rep Power: 0
skunkd is on a distinguished road
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

What's the best tool to drill the dust caps to fit the HIDs? This is the first car I've had to worry about aftermarket HID's with dust caps on the headlamps?

Also what size hole is correct to keep them sealed properly?


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-19-2016, 07:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 563
njlakeshoreg is on a distinguished road
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkd View Post
What's the best tool to drill the dust caps to fit the HIDs? This is the first car I've had to worry about aftermarket HID's with dust caps on the headlamps?

Also what size hole is correct to keep them sealed properly?


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
I have always eye balled it with a unibit aka step bit...takes just seconds
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-19-2016, 07:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 58
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 642
Matts15 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlakeshoreg View Post
I have always eye balled it with a unibit aka step bit...takes just seconds
This is what I used. One trick I learned was to put a bit of grease on the wires passing through the grommet. This make it easy to slide the whole cap along the wires so you can get it far enough away from the housing to not get in the way of your hands. Then just slide it into position and secure.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-19-2016, 10:26 PM
antsjeep's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,251
Thanks: 209
Thanked 229 Times in 198 Posts
Rep Power: 18355
antsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond repute
2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkd View Post
What's the best tool to drill the dust caps to fit the HIDs? This is the first car I've had to worry about aftermarket HID's with dust caps on the headlamps?

Also what size hole is correct to keep them sealed properly?


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

You could get a step bit from Home Depot for about $20-30. I'm sure in the future you'll find a use for it. Just make the hole big enough to fit that rubber grommet in it snugly. I went one step at a time and kept checking for the proper fitment.

I would also suggest brining the caps inside your house to the chill out of the plastic. It will make drilling them a lot easier.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
2015 Altitude - Billet Silver
SRT Springs, Taillight Bezels, Red Start Button, Pedals & Grille Mesh, Black Lugs,
Mopar 4" Chrome exhaust tips, 1.25" Bora Wheel Spacers,
DDM 5500k HID,
Red LED 3157 Bulbs, 15% Tint, Polk DB Center Channel, Mopar All Weather Mats

Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-20-2016, 07:53 AM
antsjeep's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,251
Thanks: 209
Thanked 229 Times in 198 Posts
Rep Power: 18355
antsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlakeshoreg View Post
I believe i have the XD kit with relay and it is not working well at all...just got cold here in north nersey and now they dont turn on right away. Never had a cold weathrr hid problem. Thinking of installing these ddm kit

Skunkd, whats up bro? Ddi you install them yet?? I hate relays and harnesses, i feel like a good kit should not need a relay harness kit. I want to rip out the rats nest of wires and get a good kit to pnp
In my opinion I still think it's a little sketch running these off the stock harness. Besides the fact that the 2015's are notorious for being very sensitive. The relay harness only requires two wires, + and - both can be found at the jumper terminals under the hood. After that it's up to the installer to avoid an unsightly installation (aka...rats nets). I've been installing HID kits since 2000 and never once ran one without a relay. On the WK2 platform I'd be able to hide about 95% of the wires under the hood from being seen (while using a relay). This would require bumper removal and custom fitting the relay harness to the vehicle.

A sloppy install ("rats nest") comes down to the installer and is not the fault of the harness.
__________________
2015 Altitude - Billet Silver
SRT Springs, Taillight Bezels, Red Start Button, Pedals & Grille Mesh, Black Lugs,
Mopar 4" Chrome exhaust tips, 1.25" Bora Wheel Spacers,
DDM 5500k HID,
Red LED 3157 Bulbs, 15% Tint, Polk DB Center Channel, Mopar All Weather Mats

Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-20-2016, 10:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 58
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 642
Matts15 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsjeep View Post
In my opinion I still think it's a little sketch running these off the stock harness. Besides the fact that the 2015's are notorious for being very sensitive. The relay harness only requires two wires, + and - both can be found at the jumper terminals under the hood. After that it's up to the installer to avoid an unsightly installation (aka...rats nets). I've been installing HID kits since 2000 and never once ran one without a relay. On the WK2 platform I'd be able to hide about 95% of the wires under the hood from being seen (while using a relay). This would require bumper removal and custom fitting the relay harness to the vehicle.

A sloppy install ("rats nest") comes down to the installer and is not the fault of the harness.
I understand your point of view, but I have been running quality kits for years on many different vehicles without relay harnesses and never had an issue. I have heard more stories about relays burning out and lights stuck on (from sketchy relays) than I have about a 35 watt hid kit messing with a cars electrical system.

I have no doubt there are many older vehicles out there with wiring that would be inadequate for an hid kit, but I don't see that as the case with modern vehicles where hid lighting is a factory option. I think the WK2 even has independently fused headlights regardless of whether you get the factory hid or not.

I am sure there are plenty of folks out there that disagree.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-20-2016, 11:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 563
njlakeshoreg is on a distinguished road
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts15 View Post
I understand your point of view, but I have been running quality kits for years on many different vehicles without relay harnesses and never had an issue. I have heard more stories about relays burning out and lights stuck on (from sketchy relays) than I have about a 35 watt hid kit messing with a cars electrical system.

I have no doubt there are many older vehicles out there with wiring that would be inadequate for an hid kit, but I don't see that as the case with modern vehicles where hid lighting is a factory option. I think the WK2 even has independently fused headlights regardless of whether you get the factory hid or not.

I am sure there are plenty of folks out there that disagree.
I like your pov...i agree...i fought with myself, when i put the hid kit in these headlights with the individual relay my lights turn off at different times. Makes me want to put halogens back in. Im willing to give the ddm kit a go
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-20-2016, 11:27 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 778
Thanks: 2
Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Rep Power: 2692
Dabitz has a reputation beyond reputeDabitz has a reputation beyond reputeDabitz has a reputation beyond reputeDabitz has a reputation beyond reputeDabitz has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsjeep View Post
In my opinion I still think it's a little sketch running these off the stock harness. Besides the fact that the 2015's are notorious for being very sensitive. The relay harness only requires two wires, + and - both can be found at the jumper terminals under the hood. After that it's up to the installer to avoid an unsightly installation (aka...rats nets). I've been installing HID kits since 2000 and never once ran one without a relay. On the WK2 platform I'd be able to hide about 95% of the wires under the hood from being seen (while using a relay). This would require bumper removal and custom fitting the relay harness to the vehicle.

A sloppy install ("rats nest") comes down to the installer and is not the fault of the harness.
The Xenon Depot kit, the only one available with a relay harness, does not work on some of the 2015 and up trucks including mine. It's not a matter of making a choice, it's a matter of finding something that works.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-20-2016, 04:55 PM
antsjeep's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,251
Thanks: 209
Thanked 229 Times in 198 Posts
Rep Power: 18355
antsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabitz View Post
The Xenon Depot kit, the only one available with a relay harness, does not work on some of the 2015 and up trucks including mine. It's not a matter of making a choice, it's a matter of finding something that works.

Ok, but I never mentioned who's kit works and who's doesn't. My statement was based on my installation experiences.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
2015 Altitude - Billet Silver
SRT Springs, Taillight Bezels, Red Start Button, Pedals & Grille Mesh, Black Lugs,
Mopar 4" Chrome exhaust tips, 1.25" Bora Wheel Spacers,
DDM 5500k HID,
Red LED 3157 Bulbs, 15% Tint, Polk DB Center Channel, Mopar All Weather Mats

Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-20-2016, 05:10 PM
antsjeep's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,251
Thanks: 209
Thanked 229 Times in 198 Posts
Rep Power: 18355
antsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond repute
2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts15 View Post
I understand your point of view, but I have been running quality kits for years on many different vehicles without relay harnesses and never had an issue. I have heard more stories about relays burning out and lights stuck on (from sketchy relays) than I have about a 35 watt hid kit messing with a cars electrical system.

I have no doubt there are many older vehicles out there with wiring that would be inadequate for an hid kit, but I don't see that as the case with modern vehicles where hid lighting is a factory option. I think the WK2 even has independently fused headlights regardless of whether you get the factory hid or not.

I am sure there are plenty of folks out there that disagree.

Well if you buy cheap relay kits then yes you'll have those problems. I only use BOSCH relays, anyone with 12v experience will know what I'm talking about.

As far as the vehicle powering the HID ballast. Where is the protection in the case that a ballast shorts out and back feeds voltage? Relying on only the factory fuse (where applicable) to protect anything living on the Canbus system is very risky.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
2015 Altitude - Billet Silver
SRT Springs, Taillight Bezels, Red Start Button, Pedals & Grille Mesh, Black Lugs,
Mopar 4" Chrome exhaust tips, 1.25" Bora Wheel Spacers,
DDM 5500k HID,
Red LED 3157 Bulbs, 15% Tint, Polk DB Center Channel, Mopar All Weather Mats

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2015

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 Grand cherokee altitude HID/LED conversion General purpose vehicle Visual Modifications 29 12-23-2016 05:10 PM
HID kit problem 2015 Altitude regg1e220 NorthEast 6 12-30-2015 02:55 PM
Jeep WK Halo Projectors + Hid conversion kit SCWK Grand Cherokee - WK 7 12-17-2010 09:55 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.