2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Interior/Exterior/Visual/Lighting

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 12-29-2015, 07:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Altitude00 is on a distinguished road
2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

Hello,

I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee Altitude and recently got 2 new HID kits for my headlights and for my fog lights. They are both H11 6,000K HID kits from Kensun. I have read numerous posts and am wondering if I need to buy anything else before I have a local garage install them in two weeks. The kits came with the bulbs and 35W ballasts.

I am wondering if I will need to purchase a relay harness for each set as well as a CANBUS fix as I have read on other forums.

The CANBUS fix I was looking at is:
CANBUS Fix

The HID kits I have for my low lights and fog lights are:
http://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Convers...d+kit+slim#Ask

Thank you!!

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-29-2015, 10:31 PM
subbie09's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 818
Thanks: 0
Thanked 35 Times in 31 Posts
Rep Power: 4621
subbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

Really and harness for each yes and even then, on the 15's you still may get flickering. The electrical system was changed and even canbus fix for some people doesn't work


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-29-2015, 11:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Altitude00 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbie09 View Post
Really and harness for each yes and even then, on the 15's you still may get flickering. The electrical system was changed and even canbus fix for some people doesn't work


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Do you have a recommendation/link for a relay harness that will work for the 2015? And will that canbus fix work as well? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-30-2015, 12:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 93
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 682
thzpcs is on a distinguished road
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

I think you've got basically everything.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-30-2015, 01:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 80
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 537
DCROTHERS is on a distinguished road
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

What made you choose 6000k? That will not give very good illumination.
If you want good output 4300k is recommended.



Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-30-2015, 01:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Altitude00 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCROTHERS View Post
What made you choose 6000k? That will not give very good illumination.
If you want good output 4300k is recommended.



Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Simply put, I have friends with the different kits in their trucks - I thought the 6,000k looked nicer than the 4,300k even though I realized the illumination wouldn't be as strong as the 4,300k.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-30-2015, 01:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 80
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 537
DCROTHERS is on a distinguished road
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

Got it.
HID can be finicky. Getting a set-up that works with your car sometimes takes trial and error. That of course can get expensive. I spent way too much money on HID for an older BMW I had before I got it to work well.
It's usually best to buy and install at the same vendor so they have to get it right.
Good luck.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 58
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 669
Matts15 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude00 View Post
Hello,

I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee Altitude and recently got 2 new HID kits for my headlights and for my fog lights. They are both H11 6,000K HID kits from Kensun. I have read numerous posts and am wondering if I need to buy anything else before I have a local garage install them in two weeks. The kits came with the bulbs and 35W ballasts.

I am wondering if I will need to purchase a relay harness for each set as well as a CANBUS fix as I have read on other forums.

The CANBUS fix I was looking at is:
CANBUS Fix

The HID kits I have for my low lights and fog lights are:
Amazon.com: Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with "Slim" Digital Ballasts - H11 - 6000k - 2 Year Warranty: Automotive

Thank you!!
This may not be what you want to hear, but I would return the kensun kit and order a kit from diode dynamics with the 2015 mopar specific anti flicker kit. I can almost guarantee that kensun kit won't work even with a canbus relay. I tried the xenondepot kit on my 15 and it didn't work properly. I then installed the kit on another car and it works great. After reading some reviews, I got the diode dynamics kit and it has been perfect (had it about 4 months). It is pricey at $180 but uses hyluxtek ballasts that warmup really quickly and is super easy to install.

If you want to go cheaper, try the 2015 mopar specific ddm tuning plus kit for $80.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,264
Thanks: 9
Thanked 196 Times in 168 Posts
Rep Power: 0
skunkd is on a distinguished road
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts15 View Post
This may not be what you want to hear, but I would return the kensun kit and order a kit from diode dynamics with the 2015 mopar specific anti flicker kit. I can almost guarantee that kensun kit won't work even with a canbus relay. I tried the xenondepot kit on my 15 and it didn't work properly. I then installed the kit on another car and it works great. After reading some reviews, I got the diode dynamics kit and it has been perfect (had it about 4 months). It is pricey at $180 but uses hyluxtek ballasts that warmup really quickly and is super easy to install.



If you want to go cheaper, try the 2015 mopar specific ddm tuning plus kit for $80.

I just bought the ddm plus kit for headlights and fogs. I'll let you know how it works out


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-04-2016, 02:12 PM
antsjeep's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,296
Thanks: 219
Thanked 236 Times in 204 Posts
Rep Power: 18427
antsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkd View Post
I just bought the ddm plus kit for headlights and fogs. I'll let you know how it works out


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
you finally cracked!!
__________________
2015 Altitude - Billet Silver
SRT Springs, Taillight Bezels, Red Start Button, Pedals & Grille Mesh, Black Lugs,
Mopar 4" Chrome exhaust tips, 1.25" Bora Wheel Spacers,
DDM 5500k HID,
Red LED 3157 Bulbs, 15% Tint, Polk DB Center Channel, Mopar All Weather Mats

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-04-2016, 02:56 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,264
Thanks: 9
Thanked 196 Times in 168 Posts
Rep Power: 0
skunkd is on a distinguished road
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsjeep View Post
you finally cracked!!
I'm down with plug and play with no relay harness or adapters. If they actually work as advertised I'll be happy, if not I'll be taking them right out lol!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 58
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 669
Matts15 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2015 Altitude HID kit conversion HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkd View Post
I'm down with plug and play with no relay harness or adapters. If they actually work as advertised I'll be happy, if not I'll be taking them right out lol!
Definitely let us know. I bet they work will work well. I talked to them when when they were in testing stage and they seemed dedicated to making them work. I would have waited and got them but found out about the diode dynamics route. When you install, don't bother taking the bumper off. There is plenty of room by removing the air box on the driver side and the ecm bolted to the front of the fuse box on the passenger side. Just make sure you disconnect the negative battery lead first. I would affix the ballasts on the outside of the frame rails. and fish the wires up to the headlights. When you remove the 10mm bolt and turn fastener holding the fender liner you can bend it out of the way and get to the foglights and outer frame rail. I went the bumper route in my first attempt with the xenon depot kit and cussed myself when I realized how easy it is just to remove the air box and ecm.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2015

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 Grand cherokee altitude HID/LED conversion General purpose vehicle Visual Modifications 30 02-12-2017 02:06 AM
HID kit problem 2015 Altitude regg1e220 NorthEast 6 12-30-2015 02:55 PM
Jeep WK Halo Projectors + Hid conversion kit SCWK Grand Cherokee - WK 7 12-17-2010 09:55 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.