Adaptive Headlight Question - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Interior/Exterior/Visual

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 07-10-2016, 11:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 205
willypetefo is on a distinguished road
Adaptive Headlight Question

I have been doing a lot of research and looking into pictures of the 15' GC models which have the Adaptive headlights. My question is what is the real difference and what actually causes the headlights to be adaptive (left/right) vs just the auto leveling (up/down)

As I look through pictures I can not visually tell any differences between the Xenon auto leveling headlights and the Xenon Adaptive headlights. Is it the modules on the headlight which direct it when the wheel turns? Or do the Xenon non-afs not have the capability to move left and right only up and down?

I'm trying to understand the mechanics to the adaptive headlights, surely if the non-afs can auto level and adjust side to side why can't they become adaptive with modification?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-11-2016, 12:27 AM
crombenevolant's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2016 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 225
Thanks: 11
Thanked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Rep Power: 521
crombenevolant is on a distinguished road
Re: Adaptive Headlight Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by willypetefo View Post
I have been doing a lot of research and looking into pictures of the 15' GC models which have the Adaptive headlights. My question is what is the real difference and what actually causes the headlights to be adaptive (left/right) vs just the auto leveling (up/down)

As I look through pictures I can not visually tell any differences between the Xenon auto leveling headlights and the Xenon Adaptive headlights. Is it the modules on the headlight which direct it when the wheel turns? Or do the Xenon non-afs not have the capability to move left and right only up and down?

I'm trying to understand the mechanics to the adaptive headlights, surely if the non-afs can auto level and adjust side to side why can't they become adaptive with modification?
My understanding is that the adaptive headlights not only center left/right but adjust when turning. The idea being that if you are going around a corner to the left the lights will angle to the left to more clearly illuminate where you are going vs straight in front of the grill.

In theory you could modify non-afs, but you would need motors to adjust (as it adjusts more than the auto leveling) as well as sensors and processing power. Probably cost prohibitive as a DIY unless you could find the whole setup from a wrecked GC.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crombenevolant For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old 07-11-2016, 12:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 205
willypetefo is on a distinguished road
Re: Adaptive Headlight Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by crombenevolant View Post
My understanding is that the adaptive headlights not only center left/right but adjust when turning. The idea being that if you are going around a corner to the left the lights will angle to the left to more clearly illuminate where you are going vs straight in front of the grill.

In theory you could modify non-afs, but you would need motors to adjust (as it adjusts more than the auto leveling) as well as sensors and processing power. Probably cost prohibitive as a DIY unless you could find the whole setup from a wrecked GC.

I understand the concept and how the adaptive headlights work, I just want to know what is the actual difference in design between the non-adapt and the adapt headlights
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-11-2016, 09:35 AM
Shots's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: N.E.Ohio
Posts: 317
Thanks: 5
Thanked 94 Times in 72 Posts
Rep Power: 16318
Shots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adaptive Headlight Question

That's it. That is the difference. "..... the adaptive headlights not only center left/right but adjust when turning ....." non-adaptive don't. The difference between them is that the adaptive lights will have additional motors, sensors, etc to allow for that movement, whereas the non-adaptive lights don't. Not trying to sound like a smart a__. Maybe I just don't get the question, but that's the only difference.
__________________
The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. They would prefer the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, “Baa.”
Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-11-2016, 10:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 205
willypetefo is on a distinguished road
Re: Adaptive Headlight Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shots View Post
That's it. That is the difference. "..... the adaptive headlights not only center left/right but adjust when turning ....." non-adaptive don't. The difference between them is that the adaptive lights will have additional motors, sensors, etc to allow for that movement, whereas the non-adaptive lights don't. Not trying to sound like a smart a__. Maybe I just don't get the question, but that's the only difference.
I didn't take it as such and maybe I didn't impose my question correctly. I didn't know if the internal components of both headlights were the same and maybe the control modules or something along that lines was the difference. I mean external appearance wise they appear to be exactly the same. I just thought it may be possible that the non-adapt have the internal components to become adaptive just needed a different control module maybe one off of a adapt headlight.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-11-2016, 10:54 AM
Governor's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,590
Thanks: 610
Thanked 277 Times in 260 Posts
Rep Power: 79396
Governor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adaptive Headlight Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by willypetefo View Post
I didn't take it as such and maybe I didn't impose my question correctly. I didn't know if the internal components of both headlights were the same and maybe the control modules or something along that lines was the difference. I mean external appearance wise they appear to be exactly the same. I just thought it may be possible that the non-adapt have the internal components to become adaptive just needed a different control module maybe one off of a adapt headlight.
I think the auto leveling lamps came out before the adaptive lamps. Therefore they didn't anticipate the need in the future for left to right movement except by using the adjustment screws. There will be no way to adapt the existing auto level to adaptive without swapping the whole lamp assembly plus figuring out how to add the control modules.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-11-2016, 11:14 AM
JTS97Z28's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 3,868
Thanks: 90
Thanked 620 Times in 456 Posts
Rep Power: 28714
JTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adaptive Headlight Question

I could be wrong but I doubt the non-AFS headlights have the left/right pivot motion ability...even without the motors in there. It's probably a slightly different projector all together as well as the internal bracketry. I have had both and as much as I love tech stuff it was more of a gimmick than anything. The movement is very minimal to other cars I have seen with AFS. Not only that, but thy dropped AFS starting in 2016 for the Grand Cherokee.
When you turn left, only the drivers side headlights moves left some, when you turn right only the right headlight moves. I thought I would like the feature more than I did, but going from my 2014 Summit with AFS to my 2015 without it, I don't miss it one bit. Infact if anything what I like more is the fact that my cutoff beam in my 2015 without AFS is a bit more solid where as my 2014 AFS sometimes over bumps there was a very slight shimmy...in other words with more pivoting points there was more chances of play and overall just not as solid. It was minimal btw, but something I noticed nonetheless.
__________________
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, Bright White, V6, HK audio
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-12-2016, 09:53 AM
Shots's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: N.E.Ohio
Posts: 317
Thanks: 5
Thanked 94 Times in 72 Posts
Rep Power: 16318
Shots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adaptive Headlight Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by willypetefo View Post
I didn't take it as such and maybe I didn't impose my question correctly. I didn't know if the internal components of both headlights were the same and maybe the control modules or something along that lines was the difference. I mean external appearance wise they appear to be exactly the same. I just thought it may be possible that the non-adapt have the internal components to become adaptive just needed a different control module maybe one off of a adapt headlight.
Ah, I see. That makes more sense to me now. And it looks like the previous two responses pretty much covered it. I doubt you'd be able to add it to the non-adaptive housing, though I don't see why you couldn't completely swap them out for an adaptive set. Sounds pretty expensive for a minimal change though.
__________________
The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. They would prefer the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, “Baa.”
Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-12-2016, 02:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 205
willypetefo is on a distinguished road
Re: Adaptive Headlight Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shots View Post
Ah, I see. That makes more sense to me now. And it looks like the previous two responses pretty much covered it. I doubt you'd be able to add it to the non-adaptive housing, though I don't see why you couldn't completely swap them out for an adaptive set. Sounds pretty expensive for a minimal change though.
Well the cost of buying the headlights outright is over what $1.5k new. So if buying the projector piece and control models is say $500 (I don't remember the exact price of pieces) it would be a less expensive swap to still have the feature.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-13-2016, 10:04 AM
Shots's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: N.E.Ohio
Posts: 317
Thanks: 5
Thanked 94 Times in 72 Posts
Rep Power: 16318
Shots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adaptive Headlight Question

That's a good price. That's normally about the price for each side. The non-adaptive assembly is MSRP $575, though they can be found for $400 at Steve White Motors. The adaptive set is likely to cost that much too, though I wouldn't be surprised if they're more (I couldn't find them). If you're able to get an adaptive set for $500, I'd snatch them up and try to make the swap. If you can't make it work, you should be able to get the money back out of them, if you get them for that price.
__________________
The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. They would prefer the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, “Baa.”
Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-13-2016, 10:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 6
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 205
willypetefo is on a distinguished road
Re: Adaptive Headlight Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shots View Post
That's a good price. That's normally about the price for each side. The non-adaptive assembly is MSRP $575, though they can be found for $400 at Steve White Motors. The adaptive set is likely to cost that much too, though I wouldn't be surprised if they're more (I couldn't find them). If you're able to get an adaptive set for $500, I'd snatch them up and try to make the swap. If you can't make it work, you should be able to get the money back out of them, if you get them for that price.
The $500 I was rough quoting was for the replacement pieces to swap into the non-adapt set. The projector piece and the control modules for the adaptive lights will fit into the non adapt just not sure if by doing that I could gain the adaptive movement in the non adapt housing
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-14-2016, 08:29 AM
Shots's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: N.E.Ohio
Posts: 317
Thanks: 5
Thanked 94 Times in 72 Posts
Rep Power: 16318
Shots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond reputeShots has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adaptive Headlight Question

Oh, so the "guts" of the adaptive set fit the non-adaptive set? In that case, heck yeah give it a shot. I thought you had to replace the housings and everything.
__________________
The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. They would prefer the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, “Baa.”
Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
headlight

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Service Shifter / Adaptive Headlight System bmrisko Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 1 07-18-2016 07:15 PM
Adaptive head light question BigNunz6 Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 3 11-06-2014 08:34 PM
Adaptive Cruise with Stop operation Question ucla95 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 6 11-19-2013 04:19 PM
Adaptive Transmission Question Pats2011WK2 Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 12 02-16-2012 10:25 PM
Adaptive cruise adjustment? kaflyboy Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 27 11-01-2011 09:51 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.