Amber rear turn signals (Euro parts?) - Page 4 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Interior/Exterior/Visual/Lighting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #37  
Old 11-07-2015, 09:42 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
bigski79 is on a distinguished road
Re: Amber rear turn signals (Euro parts?)

Hi,

Sparky57 any updates ?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #38  
Old 11-08-2015, 11:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 71
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 3781
Jake07WK has a reputation beyond reputeJake07WK has a reputation beyond reputeJake07WK has a reputation beyond reputeJake07WK has a reputation beyond reputeJake07WK has a reputation beyond reputeJake07WK has a reputation beyond reputeJake07WK has a reputation beyond reputeJake07WK has a reputation beyond reputeJake07WK has a reputation beyond reputeJake07WK has a reputation beyond reputeJake07WK has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd3.6 View Post

Looking forward to your results.

I was thinking that the Curt trailer harness would be a great way to adapt it in without cutting any factory wires (it would snap/connect in between OEM harness and tail lights).

Curt 56009
http://www.amazon.com/Curt-56009-CUR...dp/B001GMX9C2/
Price: $21.99

With this harness, you could 'pass-thru' the marker light power, but send the brake/blinker power to the converter and then bring the separate brake and blinker power back to the tail light and then just replace the white backup bulb with an amber turn signal bulb.

I always try to use OEM connectors to plug modifications into my wiring harness. Less chance of cutting a wire and/or corrosion AND I can easily reverse the 'update' if needed.
I bought the Curt 56009 adapter, Phillips 7443 Red Vision Led, and T20 sockets from Amazon and picked up the light fixtures from Morris. Wired it up to give me parking lights and brake/turn signal with the adapter. Completely plug and play with no splicing which is what I like too.
__________________
14 WK2 Summit EcoDiesel/ Nokian WRG3 SUV tires

Lost to the Ex. 07 WK Overland CRD Black/4xGuard Belly Skid & Rear Skid/Husky Liners/Jeep Mudflaps/Some Extra Tinting/InMotion Stg II
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-25-2015, 10:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 2125
bkcberry is on a distinguished road
Re: Amber rear turn signals (Euro parts?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake07WK View Post
I bought the Curt 56009 adapter, Phillips 7443 Red Vision Led, and T20 sockets from Amazon and picked up the light fixtures from Morris. Wired it up to give me parking lights and brake/turn signal with the adapter. Completely plug and play with no splicing which is what I like too.
So i'm confused, do you have amber turn signals now (if that's a yes, does the Curt t-harness have a converter built in?)? What fixtures did you buy?

edit: oh, i think you were just talking about how you installed the LEDs without splicing any factory wires?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #40  
Old 11-25-2015, 11:34 AM
Todd3.6's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 849
Thanks: 5
Thanked 82 Times in 71 Posts
Rep Power: 350799
Todd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amber rear turn signals (Euro parts?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcberry View Post
So i'm confused, do you have amber turn signals now (if that's a yes, does the Curt t-harness have a converter built in?)? What fixtures did you buy?

edit: oh, i think you were just talking about how you installed the LEDs without splicing any factory wires?
You would need 3 'components' to make the conversion 'plug-n-play'

#1 - the Curt trailer wiring adapter
PN#56009
http://www.amazon.com/Curt-56009-CUR...dp/B001GMX9C2/

#2 - the Curt Vehicle to Vehicle Tail Light Converter
PN#56196
http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufactu...dp/B0046EKPHY/

#3 - a pair of 7440/7443 sockets
http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Brake-Si...dp/B0097AA126/
NOTE: these are the first set of 7440 sockets I came across on Amazon, please check your light socket BEFORE ordering to make sure they look the same and would fit into the tail light.

The sockets are required so that you don't have to cut the wires to the outboard backup light. The wiring adapter (#1) only connects to the marker/brake/turn bulb in the red section of the tail light. You would have to let the OEM reverse light socket dangle (tape it up to prevent water intrusion/corrosion) and then attach the new sockets to the blinker output from the Curt Converter and plug into the tail light housing in the reverse light area. MAKE SURE you use a yellow bulb.

As always, I highly caution people to NOT attempt something like this if you are unfamiliar with electrical work as you can short out your vehicle wiring and cause expensive damage that would not be covered by your warranty.

I've done stuff like this for years.
I adapted a wireless lock/unlock system to my '93 Audi and Mercury Montego LED tail lights to my Ford Five Hundred.

I just might have to do this...
About $50 for everything from Amazon (besides the yellow bulbs).
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-10-2015, 10:14 PM
2011GCSummit's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 63
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1162
2011GCSummit is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Amber rear turn signals (Euro parts?)

Did you order 2 of the Curt 56196 (one for each side) or did you run wires across the sides of the vehicle?
__________________
My Ride:
2011 Grand Cherokee Summit V8 4x4 Brilliant Black Metallic
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-12-2015, 10:53 PM
Todd3.6's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 849
Thanks: 5
Thanked 82 Times in 71 Posts
Rep Power: 350799
Todd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amber rear turn signals (Euro parts?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011GCSummit View Post
Did you order 2 of the Curt 56196 (one for each side) or did you run wires across the sides of the vehicle?
The Curt 56196 is made to plug into both sides of the vehicle with wires long enough to extend from side to side.

I haven't personally bought that product, but I bought a similar Curt product for another vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-23-2015, 10:40 AM
2011GCSummit's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 63
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1162
2011GCSummit is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Amber rear turn signals (Euro parts?)

hmm I have all the components but not sure where to route the wires... I hooked up the wire harness, but not sure where the curt component that splits the signal goes, or which wires from the box go where... I can cut and splice just fine, I just need some clarification on which wires are transmitting the signals. The box that splits the signal only has 3 wires coming out of it (one for each blinker and one for braking), where do I connect the other side of the connections for those bulbs?
__________________
My Ride:
2011 Grand Cherokee Summit V8 4x4 Brilliant Black Metallic
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-24-2015, 04:09 PM
Todd3.6's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 849
Thanks: 5
Thanked 82 Times in 71 Posts
Rep Power: 350799
Todd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amber rear turn signals (Euro parts?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011GCSummit View Post
hmm I have all the components but not sure where to route the wires... I hooked up the wire harness, but not sure where the curt component that splits the signal goes, or which wires from the box go where... I can cut and splice just fine, I just need some clarification on which wires are transmitting the signals. The box that splits the signal only has 3 wires coming out of it (one for each blinker and one for braking), where do I connect the other side of the connections for those bulbs?
The Curt converter has an input side and an output side.
The trailer harness has a pair of plugs for each side.
In normal use one of the plugs would click onto the vehicle plug and the other of the pair would click onto the tail light.

You will want to cut the tow harness so that the brake/turn wire does NOT pass through to the tail light assembly. That wire from each side should instead go to the Curt converter input.

Make sure you allow the marker light wire to pass through the tow harness to the tail light assembly.

Then run the RED wire from the Curt converter back to the tail light assembly and connect to the tow harness wire that was for the brake/turn (it will now be only brake), then run the appropriate output turn signal wire (yellow to left, green to right)from the Curt converter over to the tail light housing and attach your aftermarket 7433 socket to that and then a ground wire, insert your amber bulb and insert into the former reverse light position.

I would do all the cutting/splicing of the towing harness while at the vehicle to ensure you have sufficient length in the wire runs. If you use crimp barrel connectors, I highly recommend the ones with the shrink tube and glue so that you seal the crimps against weather.

I haven't done this yet so I can't provide picks, I can only visualize what needs to be done.

Hope this helps...

I dropped my 'fun' money this month on an amber LED magnetic strobe light. I like to keep a strobe in both of our vehicles in case we have to pull over on the side of the road. I had a revolving amber light and it just didn't seem to get the right attention. This new strobe should do the job.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-07-2017, 05:33 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
koleso is on a distinguished road
Re: Amber rear turn signals (Euro parts?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd3.6 View Post
The Curt converter has an input side and an output side.
The trailer harness has a pair of plugs for each side.
In normal use one of the plugs would click onto the vehicle plug and the other of the pair would click onto the tail light.

You will want to cut the tow harness so that the brake/turn wire does NOT pass through to the tail light assembly. That wire from each side should instead go to the Curt converter input.

Make sure you allow the marker light wire to pass through the tow harness to the tail light assembly.

Then run the RED wire from the Curt converter back to the tail light assembly and connect to the tow harness wire that was for the brake/turn (it will now be only brake), then run the appropriate output turn signal wire (yellow to left, green to right)from the Curt converter over to the tail light housing and attach your aftermarket 7433 socket to that and then a ground wire, insert your amber bulb and insert into the former reverse light position.

I would do all the cutting/splicing of the towing harness while at the vehicle to ensure you have sufficient length in the wire runs. If you use crimp barrel connectors, I highly recommend the ones with the shrink tube and glue so that you seal the crimps against weather.

I haven't done this yet so I can't provide picks, I can only visualize what needs to be done.

Hope this helps...

I dropped my 'fun' money this month on an amber LED magnetic strobe light. I like to keep a strobe in both of our vehicles in case we have to pull over on the side of the road. I had a revolving amber light and it just didn't seem to get the right attention. This new strobe should do the job.
Ordered all parts. The only thing i am not sure about is how the REVERSE lights would work now since its now a turn signal with yellow bulb?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-08-2017, 03:21 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2017 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 37
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 165
MIKE969 is on a distinguished road
Re: Amber rear turn signals (Euro parts?)

Are the reverse lights controlled by the BCM? Since the outer reverse lights are used as blinkers for export models, woudln't the most practical solution be to flash the BCM to export software and replace the white reverse bulb with an amber bulb?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-08-2017, 03:41 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
koleso is on a distinguished road
Re: Amber rear turn signals (Euro parts?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE969 View Post
Are the reverse lights controlled by the BCM? Since the outer reverse lights are used as blinkers for export models, woudln't the most practical solution be to flash the BCM to export software and replace the white reverse bulb with an amber bulb?
NVM, i didnt realize the whole back light unit is split between the hatch and the back quarter panel. That would leave the quarter panel part of the reverse area for the amber turn and the hatch part for the reverse light. Am I right?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-08-2017, 06:03 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2017 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 37
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 165
MIKE969 is on a distinguished road
Re: Amber rear turn signals (Euro parts?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koleso View Post
NVM, i didnt realize the whole back light unit is split between the hatch and the back quarter panel. That would leave the quarter panel part of the reverse area for the amber turn and the hatch part for the reverse light. Am I right?


That's how they are setup for the export models that require amber signals. If all the rear lights are canbus and controlled by the BCM, then flashing the export BCM software should make the quarter portion of the taillight flash on turn signal activation and leave the brake lights for braking. Are there any programs that would allow that? Kind of like vagcom for vw group cars?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SRT Rear Fog Lights Hooked up and working as Parking, Brake & Turn Signals (Video) Robert Palmer Interior/Exterior/Visual/Lighting 26 11-13-2011 07:03 PM
Headlight Front Turn signal - bulb 3157 ok to use white vs amber? grantb Interior/Exterior/Visual/Lighting 1 01-19-2011 09:18 PM
Turn signals and Flashers - Help!?!? mack470 Troubleshooting/Problems 14 12-09-2010 08:09 PM
8000k turn signals!?!? teekay1 Visual Modifications 8 06-08-2010 08:39 AM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.