Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Interior/Exterior/Visual

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 01-18-2014, 03:37 PM
jeepgctx's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 674
jeepgctx is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Brilliant Black Door Handles Are Here

Okůso I'm on the same track you are with deleting the chrome from my 2011 Overland.

So my plan after just having been quoted almost $1,000 for parts and paint just to address the mirror caps and door handles was to wrap these pieces in 3M.

It appears like you have gone with a combination of wrap and paint and I'm sure for obvious reasons. Have you been told that wrapping these parts was not a viable option?

My plan is to probably wrap my truck with 3M in matte grey and install gloss black 3M wrap on the front grill and the rear boomerang and add 22" gloss black rims to finish the look.

Thoughts and feedback???
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-18-2014, 09:41 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 123
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 356
oneandonly5680 is on a distinguished road
Re: Brilliant Black Door Handles Are Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgctx View Post
Okůso I'm on the same track you are with deleting the chrome from my 2011 Overland.

So my plan after just having been quoted almost $1,000 for parts and paint just to address the mirror caps and door handles was to wrap these pieces in 3M.

It appears like you have gone with a combination of wrap and paint and I'm sure for obvious reasons. Have you been told that wrapping these parts was not a viable option?

My plan is to probably wrap my truck with 3M in matte grey and install gloss black 3M wrap on the front grill and the rear boomerang and add 22" gloss black rims to finish the look.

Thoughts and feedback???
I originally had the caps and handles wrapped but it didn't hold well so that is why I changed it up. Nothing wrong with giving it a shot on your end though if the pricing is good. A matte grey wrap with black touches could look really good. I believe there is a guy with an SRT wrapped in grey as well. Have Web you thought about getting the altitude black grill and rear brow? Not sure what year your GC is but the is an option.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-01-2014, 10:00 AM
LTrainGC's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2013 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 2,187
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 4141
LTrainGC has a reputation beyond reputeLTrainGC has a reputation beyond reputeLTrainGC has a reputation beyond reputeLTrainGC has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneandonly5680 View Post
Well I have 3 handles installed, taking a break before number 4. Handles fit and work perfectly but I will say install is more indepth than I expected. After removing door panel you also have to remove inner panel and window (for front) and hold window up out of way on rear. I have the drivers side door left and will try and take pics of process. I think the hardest part was putting the door panel back on lol...the panel clips float a little bit so lining them all up was a pain. Needless to say I need to replace a few haha. Sorry for crappy pics it was late when I finished up last night. First door took me about 2 hrs but that was because process was new and had to figure things out, especially window removel. Now I can do a door in about 45 mins. If you have big hands portions of the process may be difficult...have your girlffiend standing by to help lol. Anyway, off to do last door more to follow....
Can you tell me how you got the front window removed? I've got the door panel off and am trying to get the window out but I'm not seeing how it comes off the track and I've been staring at it for 20 minutes now lol - I took the speaker out and have the access door open so I can clearly see both tracks but in clueless as to how to get the window itself out of the door! Thanks.



image-380761123.jpg



image-1586201555.jpg
__________________
2013 WK2 Overland HEMI 4x4
Bright White / New Saddle
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-01-2014, 10:21 AM
LTrainGC's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2013 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 2,187
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 4141
LTrainGC has a reputation beyond reputeLTrainGC has a reputation beyond reputeLTrainGC has a reputation beyond reputeLTrainGC has a reputation beyond repute
Nevermind, got it!!
__________________
2013 WK2 Overland HEMI 4x4
Bright White / New Saddle
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 123
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 356
oneandonly5680 is on a distinguished road
Re: Brilliant Black Door Handles Are Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTrainGC View Post
Can you tell me how you got the front window removed? I've got the door panel off and am trying to get the window out but I'm not seeing how it comes off the track and I've been staring at it for 20 minutes now lol - I took the speaker out and have the access door open so I can clearly see both tracks but in clueless as to how to get the window itself out of the door! Thanks.



Attachment 36470



Attachment 36471
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTrainGC View Post
Nevermind, got it!!
Awesome...sorry I didn't see this in time. If you have any other questions just text me at 4322309419
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-01-2014, 04:23 PM
LTrainGC's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2013 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 2,187
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 4141
LTrainGC has a reputation beyond reputeLTrainGC has a reputation beyond reputeLTrainGC has a reputation beyond reputeLTrainGC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brilliant Black Door Handles Are Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneandonly5680 View Post
Awesome...sorry I didn't see this in time. If you have any other questions just text me at 4322309419
It's all good! Once I figured it out it was very smooth sailing. The rear doors were cake compared to the front - didn't even have to remove the inner liner.
__________________
2013 WK2 Overland HEMI 4x4
Bright White / New Saddle
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-01-2014, 05:37 PM
mrkonow's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1580
mrkonow has a reputation beyond reputemrkonow has a reputation beyond reputemrkonow has a reputation beyond reputemrkonow has a reputation beyond reputemrkonow has a reputation beyond reputemrkonow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brilliant Black Door Handles Are Here

@Mhassler I want to do that to my tail lights!!! What product did you use?? Do you have a close-up pic???
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-13-2014, 05:33 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 154
Thanks: 5
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 463
chocco is on a distinguished road
Re: Brilliant Black Door Handles Are Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneandonly5680 View Post
thanks bro I honestly am surprised I tried it lol. As for the chrome rings they actually just pop out...no bumper or grill removal required just a panel tool. I had the chrome on the rear bumper vinyl wrapped in matte black along with window trim.
I am about to emabark on blacking out our Black Overland, I am going to get the front lower chrome insert, fog light bezels and grill rings painted to match the car.

What did you do with the rear tail light chrome, paint or vinyl ????

Are you sure you don't have to take the front bumper off to get at the grill rings ???

I am so glad I found your thread on the handles

Any tips you can throw my way, go for it.

Cheers
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-13-2014, 08:23 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 211
Chester_Gillette is on a distinguished road
Re: Brilliant Black Door Handles Are Here

Is something like this available for the side mirror caps? I don't really mind the chrome door handles but i cringe whenever i look at those mirror caps.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 123
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 356
oneandonly5680 is on a distinguished road
Re: Brilliant Black Door Handles Are Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocco View Post
I am about to emabark on blacking out our Black Overland, I am going to get the front lower chrome insert, fog light bezels and grill rings painted to match the car.
What did you do with the rear tail light chrome, paint or vinyl ????
Are you sure you don't have to take the front bumper off to get at the grill rings ???
I am so glad I found your thread on the handles
Any tips you can throw my way, go for it.
Cheers
Tail light chrome is covered in vinyl for now and yes I am positive grill rings pop out with no grill or bumper removal. Do a search someone recently posted pics on their removal. Worst part of handle swap is removing front windows. Feel free to hit me up if you run into issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester_Gillette View Post
Is something like this available for the side mirror caps? I don't really mind the chrome door handles but i cringe whenever i look at those mirror caps.
From what I have seen so far ordering body color mirror caps means ordering entire side mirror. Can't just purchase caps again that I have seen.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-13-2014, 09:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 74
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 327
wasupdu is on a distinguished road
Re: Brilliant Black Door Handles Are Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester_Gillette View Post
Is something like this available for the side mirror caps? I don't really mind the chrome door handles but i cringe whenever i look at those mirror caps.
Consider backing into the garage instead?
__________________
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit - white with brown interior
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-14-2014, 01:17 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 154
Thanks: 5
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 463
chocco is on a distinguished road
Re: Brilliant Black Door Handles Are Here

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...62922401,d.dGI


I have been quoted $270 US for Postage to OZ from Justforjeeps.

Will shop around.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Color match grill and black mirrors door handles Nycsrt2008 Interior/Exterior/Visual 17 04-13-2014 11:27 AM
swap door handles? Bril Black for chrome GTOGreg Interior/Exterior/Visual 5 03-04-2011 12:22 AM
brilliant black crystal pearl coat and black clearcoat? blackonblack Grand Cherokee - WK 38 01-20-2011 09:55 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community