Canoe tie-down under front bumper?? - Page 2 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Interior/Exterior/Visual/Lighting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #13  
Old 05-11-2016, 10:15 AM
tommydonnelly's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 62
Thanks: 8
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 1956
tommydonnelly is on a distinguished road
Re: Canoe tie-down under front bumper??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon617 View Post
I had to put a hitch on my Jeep after I bought it last year. Negotiated a little better price at the time of purchase (used) but the dealer still squeezed every last dime on it. I was surprised how few I saw without the tow package up here unless I obviously bumped up to the Overland.

Thanks for the advice.
Did you go with an OEM hitch? How much of a pain was it? I need to do front hooks too. Did them on my '11 and it wasn't too bad. I agree about the hitch thing, it's a Jeep for crying out loud!

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14  
Old 05-11-2016, 10:27 AM
Beacon617's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Boston
Posts: 196
Thanks: 212
Thanked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 962
Beacon617 is on a distinguished road
Re: Canoe tie-down under front bumper??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommydonnelly View Post
Did you go with an OEM hitch? How much of a pain was it? I need to do front hooks too. Did them on my '11 and it wasn't too bad. I agree about the hitch thing, it's a Jeep for crying out loud!

Yes, went OEM. I got the dealer to install it, supposedly at cost for parts and labor. Had them do a couple other things all at the same time so I don't remember the exact amount they charged for it but I know there's some BS $100 charge to "activate" it in the computer which you can't get out of no matter who installs.

Like I mentioned, all this was negotiated at my time of purchase since I knew I needed the hitch for my boat. Personally, I just think the OEM hitch looks so much better than any of the aftermarket solutions I've seen since it's completely integrated into the bumper and isn't that much more expensive in the grand scheme of things.
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee Limited - Billet Silver Metallic - Lux II
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-11-2016, 10:43 AM
tommydonnelly's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 62
Thanks: 8
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 1956
tommydonnelly is on a distinguished road
Re: Canoe tie-down under front bumper??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon617 View Post
Yes, went OEM. I got the dealer to install it, supposedly at cost for parts and labor. Had them do a couple other things all at the same time so I don't remember the exact amount they charged for it but I know there's some BS $100 charge to "activate" it in the computer which you can't get out of no matter who installs.

Like I mentioned, all this was negotiated at my time of purchase since I knew I needed the hitch for my boat. Personally, I just think the OEM hitch looks so much better than any of the aftermarket solutions I've seen since it's completely integrated into the bumper and isn't that much more expensive in the grand scheme of things.
I should be able to get the tow hooks and trailer hitch for around $500 and turn the wrenches myself. I did read that you have to flash the computer to recognize the trailer plug-in, kind of bogus if you ask me. I agree about the look, cutting the facia on the back is the only thing that makes me a little nervous.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #16  
Old 05-11-2016, 10:53 AM
Beacon617's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Boston
Posts: 196
Thanks: 212
Thanked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 962
Beacon617 is on a distinguished road
Re: Canoe tie-down under front bumper??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommydonnelly View Post
I should be able to get the tow hooks and trailer hitch for around $500 and turn the wrenches myself. I did read that you have to flash the computer to recognize the trailer plug-in, kind of bogus if you ask me. I agree about the look, cutting the facia on the back is the only thing that makes me a little nervous.

Yeah, I wouldn't be super anxious to take a dremel to my new Jeep either. Lol. However, I remember seeing a couple threads around here where guys said it wasn't that bad.

One other random question for you... Do you leave the tie-downs under the hood year round or just the summer? How have they held up over time?
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee Limited - Billet Silver Metallic - Lux II
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-11-2016, 11:17 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 13
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 826
tdcolby is on a distinguished road
Re: Canoe tie-down under front bumper??

I keep them folded under when not in use. I've had them on the current Jeep for about 2 years now. The previous Jeep wore them for about 15 years. They just got a little dirty over time.

BTW, you can make something similar for the rear hatch by using a piece of heater hose and creative cutting (or buy something similar online: Amazon.com : Sherpak Quick Loops (Pair) : Boat Trailer Tie Downs : Sports & Outdoors ). You won't be able to open the hatch with a boat on top.
__________________
Getting lost requires planning.
- P. McManus
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tdcolby For This Useful Post:
  #18  
Old 05-11-2016, 11:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 57
Thanks: 28
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 890
JcalGC is on a distinguished road
Re: Canoe tie-down under front bumper??

Hi, the picture of the strap under hood covers up the actual bolt head. Did you change the bolt to something heavier?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-11-2016, 12:22 PM
tommydonnelly's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 62
Thanks: 8
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 1956
tommydonnelly is on a distinguished road
Re: Canoe tie-down under front bumper??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon617 View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't be super anxious to take a dremel to my new Jeep either. Lol. However, I remember seeing a couple threads around here where guys said it wasn't that bad.

One other random question for you... Do you leave the tie-downs under the hood year round or just the summer? How have they held up over time?
I leave them in there. I live in the Northeast, so the winters up here a good test of durability. They were dirty when I took them off the "old Jeep" so I threw them in the washer and now they look brand new!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tommydonnelly For This Useful Post:
  #20  
Old 05-11-2016, 12:27 PM
tommydonnelly's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 62
Thanks: 8
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 1956
tommydonnelly is on a distinguished road
Re: Canoe tie-down under front bumper??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcalGC View Post
Hi, the picture of the strap under hood covers up the actual bolt head. Did you change the bolt to something heavier?
The bolt is actually under the plastic piece which just pops up after you pull the push-in fasteners. I used the factory bolt - there was plenty of thread and it's not really taking a load. I have a Mad River Malecite (kevlar boat with wooden gunwales). I baby it, so I'm really not putting a ton of pressure on the straps.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-14-2016, 10:31 PM
Beacon617's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Boston
Posts: 196
Thanks: 212
Thanked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 962
Beacon617 is on a distinguished road
Re: Canoe tie-down under front bumper??

Put the tie-downs on today. Nice and easy although I didn't realize those plastic pins are two pieces so I just pried the first one up with a trim tool before I really looked at it. The other side went smoother. Total time for both couldn't have been more than 15 min.

Thanks for the recommendation guys!

ImageUploadedByJeepGarage1463282908.517621.jpgImageUploadedByJeepGarage1463282922.187934.jpgImageUploadedByJeepGarage1463282937.446914.jpg
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee Limited - Billet Silver Metallic - Lux II
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-15-2016, 06:22 AM
tommydonnelly's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 62
Thanks: 8
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 1956
tommydonnelly is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Canoe tie-down under front bumper??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon617 View Post
Put the tie-downs on today. Nice and easy although I didn't realize those plastic pins are two pieces so I just pried the first one up with a trim tool before I really looked at it. The other side went smoother. Total time for both couldn't have been more than 15 min.

Thanks for the recommendation guys!

Attachment 68334Attachment 68335Attachment 68336
Happy to help
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grand Cherokee WK2 Cargo Area Tie Down Tracks epicgc Interior/Exterior/Visual/Lighting 18 04-17-2015 04:33 AM
Roof rack tie down Jack1947 2014+ Cherokee-KL 4 04-29-2014 03:25 PM
Tie down for rear door? moontz Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 7 05-14-2012 11:48 AM
How to tie down a Christmas tree? Echo22 Tech Tips/DIY/How To 40 12-12-2011 01:45 PM
Bow tie down points for securing a kayak ljramsey Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 5 08-23-2011 09:38 PM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.