Re: CBI Rear Bumper W/Swingaway Tire Carrier
So, it's on. The wife and I are driving to Idaho Springs, ID in a few months to get this done. While Nathan and his crew at CBI is fabbing it up, we'll be visiting Yellowstone park for the week in a rental or something.
I'm not building a rock crawler but instead a trail rider/overland expedition vehicle. I think it's going to look great and blend in well. It will be color-matched and not black. I'll be passing on fuel can mounts and junk. The wife would hate it. I'm just glad she's allowing me to hack up the rear end already. LOL. Also, I really don't plan on gaining an increased departure angle out the back. Because of the exhaust tips being where they are now, I want them to stay in the same place so I won't be gaining any more clearance out the back.
Thoughts so far on this:
- I want to get the whole bumper/swing away color matched instead of just black. Reason being is that the wife doesn't want it to look like a strictly off road vehicle.
- I will want the bumper to follow the lines of the Jeep as much as possible. Like I said, I'm not building a rock crawler.
- The last picture I posted will be closer to what I'm getting than the first. This means the bumper will have to be cut.
- The tire should be mounted closer to the pivot point, I have decided I want to have the pivot point on the driver's side of the Jeep. Reason being is the little button on the rear lift gate door to unlock/lock gets a lot of use. If the tire is off-center to the drivers side, I can still use it.
- The backup camera will be blocked. I will buy the exact same camera (Mopar parts) and mount it on the swing away somewhere. I don't want to cut wires and will just simply unplug the factory installed camera and plug mine in with longer wires.
- Parking sensors will be mounted in the new bumper as well.
- I will also have a hitch receiver along with all the factory connectors mounted in the new bumper. Probably won't have a class rating since it's custom but I'm more than positive I won't have any problems with future towing.
- I don't want to cover the whole back of the Jeep so this will probably not be the full swing away.
- The exhaust is still something to think about. I told him I do not want to modify the exhaust in any way. I will probably have him cut half circles in the bottom of the bumper where the exhaust tips are. This would look like the stock setup a little.
"I've got GREAT news! , I just saved a bunch of money on my motorcycle insurance by outrunning the cops."
'13 WK2 Overland Summit V8 (Black Leather) Mineral Grey