fog lights go off when brites are on - Page 2 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Interior/Exterior/Visual

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #13  
Old 02-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 895
Thanks: 55
Thanked 172 Times in 115 Posts
Rep Power: 18970
protect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: fog lights go off when brites are on

In Florida, the laws dictated that no vehicle was allowed to have more than 4 forward facing lights activated at anytime. That is why the fog lights turn off when the brights come on, otherwise you would have 6 lights on (2 standard, 2 fog, 2 brights).

This is the same reason why you are not allowed to drive with auxillary lights on that you see on Wranglers, Pickup trucks, etc. Yes they are bright as hell and would blind everyone, but the main reason is the number of lights legally allowed activated while on a public roadway.

Im assuming the laws are similar in most states

__________________
2015 Overland V6
Billet Silver
Advanced Tech
Mods: Gunvault, Rear Slush Mat, Tint, Valentine One, LED Fog lamps, Michelin Premier LTX

Previous Jeeps:
2007 & 2011 - Laredo
2014 - Limited

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14  
Old 02-09-2016, 06:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 853
Thanks: 23
Thanked 96 Times in 72 Posts
Rep Power: 3043
Snipe315 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: fog lights go off when brites are on

Quote:
Originally Posted by protect1989 View Post
In Florida, the laws dictated that no vehicle was allowed to have more than 4 forward facing lights activated at anytime. That is why the fog lights turn off when the brights come on, otherwise you would have 6 lights on (2 standard, 2 fog, 2 brights).

This is the same reason why you are not allowed to drive with auxillary lights on that you see on Wranglers, Pickup trucks, etc. Yes they are bright as hell and would blind everyone, but the main reason is the number of lights legally allowed activated while on a public roadway.

Im assuming the laws are similar in most states
Yeah, I thought this was the case as well.

But then how do you explain vehicles like the Jeep Cherokee?



__________________
2015 WK2 Overland 4x4 V8, Granite Exterior/Black Interior, ORA II, Advance Tech Package, Rear Seat DVD/Blu-ray
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-09-2016, 06:56 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 895
Thanks: 55
Thanked 172 Times in 115 Posts
Rep Power: 18970
protect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: fog lights go off when brites are on

Because the LEDS are accent lighting. They dont have enough of an output to be considered a "light". Any GC with the LED DRL package is the same way, the LED ring remains lit while the headlight bulb and fog lamps are on.
__________________
2015 Overland V6
Billet Silver
Advanced Tech
Mods: Gunvault, Rear Slush Mat, Tint, Valentine One, LED Fog lamps, Michelin Premier LTX

Previous Jeeps:
2007 & 2011 - Laredo
2014 - Limited

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-09-2016, 07:57 PM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,394
Thanks: 259
Thanked 569 Times in 440 Posts
Rep Power: 30368
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: fog lights go off when brites are on

Quote:
Originally Posted by protect1989 View Post
In Florida, the laws dictated that no vehicle was allowed to have more than 4 forward facing lights activated at anytime. That is why the fog lights turn off when the brights come on, otherwise you would have 6 lights on (2 standard, 2 fog, 2 brights).

This is the same reason why you are not allowed to drive with auxillary lights on that you see on Wranglers, Pickup trucks, etc. Yes they are bright as hell and would blind everyone, but the main reason is the number of lights legally allowed activated while on a public roadway.

Im assuming the laws are similar in most states
hmm my math may not be adding correctly here or maybe I'm slightly mental? but an HID headlight bulb system with a shade over half of the bulb for low beam and the shade retracted exposing the whole bulb for high beam is still the same single HID bulb. so with low beams and fogs turned on you have two headlight bulbs turned on and two fog light bulbs turned on for total four bulbs activated. Going to high beams keeps the same HID bulb active retracting the shade and then deactivates the fog lights so you end up with only two bulbs active on high beam setting. So you actually have more bulbs(4) turned on with low beams/fogs than with high beams (2). if the setup allowed for fogs to be active with high beams you are still just running the same total of four bulbs and not exceeding the 4 bulb limit so I'm not following why the fogs must be shut off with high beams in modern headlights to be in compliance with that 4 max active lights rule
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-09-2016, 08:10 PM
MDBones's Avatar
OVERLAND HIGH ALTITUDE
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wisconsin's West Coast
Posts: 3,592
Thanks: 630
Thanked 613 Times in 503 Posts
Rep Power: 10612
MDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: fog lights go off when brites are on

It's funny... even with living in a whitetail deer infested part of the country I rarely ever turn my high beams on after going to HID's on my 14. High beams seem to project the light much higher and further down the road. That seems to diminish the light output in the area ahead of me that I concentrate on while driving. I actually like the light output on low beam better. With the fogs on I have a great light pattern for spotting dear on the road and both shoulders/ditches.
__________________
http://www.jeepgarage.org/members/54562-albums357-picture4289.png
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-09-2016, 08:45 PM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,394
Thanks: 259
Thanked 569 Times in 440 Posts
Rep Power: 30368
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: fog lights go off when brites are on

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBones View Post
It's funny... even with living in a whitetail deer infested part of the country I rarely ever turn my high beams on after going to HID's on my 14. High beams seem to project the light much higher and further down the road. That seems to diminish the light output in the area ahead of me that I concentrate on while driving. I actually like the light output on low beam better. With the fogs on I have a great light pattern for spotting dear on the road and both shoulders/ditches.
just think how it would be if you had fog lights on with high beams the best of both worlds! lol
If you pull the left stalk back and hold it instead of pushing it forward to turn highbeams on you can see how it looks with fogs and highbeams on at the same time on that dark road. since the fogs do stay on with the high beams while you hold the stalk, may be able to rig a jumper wire for a hardware fix instead of a software. maybe a mini project in the garage on Saturday when its 6 degrees outside.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-09-2016, 09:26 PM
MDBones's Avatar
OVERLAND HIGH ALTITUDE
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wisconsin's West Coast
Posts: 3,592
Thanks: 630
Thanked 613 Times in 503 Posts
Rep Power: 10612
MDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: fog lights go off when brites are on

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermax04 View Post
just think how it would be if you had fog lights on with high beams the best of both worlds! lol
If you pull the left stalk back and hold it instead of pushing it forward to turn highbeams on you can see how it looks with fogs and highbeams on at the same time on that dark road. since the fogs do stay on with the high beams while you hold the stalk, may be able to rig a jumper wire for a hardware fix instead of a software. maybe a mini project in the garage on Saturday when its 6 degrees outside.
I think the same problem (for me) would still be there. There's less light output in the area where I'm driving and the fogs wouldn't make up for that because it's a wider (not longer) beam that's only good for lighting up the shoulder.
__________________
http://www.jeepgarage.org/members/54562-albums357-picture4289.png
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-09-2016, 10:47 PM
AJB-830's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mishicot, WI.
Posts: 190
Thanks: 32
Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
Rep Power: 15939
AJB-830 has a reputation beyond reputeAJB-830 has a reputation beyond reputeAJB-830 has a reputation beyond reputeAJB-830 has a reputation beyond reputeAJB-830 has a reputation beyond reputeAJB-830 has a reputation beyond reputeAJB-830 has a reputation beyond reputeAJB-830 has a reputation beyond reputeAJB-830 has a reputation beyond reputeAJB-830 has a reputation beyond reputeAJB-830 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: fog lights go off when brites are on

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermax04 View Post
hmm my math may not be adding correctly here or maybe I'm slightly mental? but an HID headlight bulb system with a shade over half of the bulb for low beam and the shade retracted exposing the whole bulb for high beam is still the same single HID bulb. so with low beams and fogs turned on you have two headlight bulbs turned on and two fog light bulbs turned on for total four bulbs activated. Going to high beams keeps the same HID bulb active retracting the shade and then deactivates the fog lights so you end up with only two bulbs active on high beam setting. So you actually have more bulbs(4) turned on with low beams/fogs than with high beams (2). if the setup allowed for fogs to be active with high beams you are still just running the same total of four bulbs and not exceeding the 4 bulb limit so I'm not following why the fogs must be shut off with high beams in modern headlights to be in compliance with that 4 max active lights rule
Back in the 60s and 70s, cars did have 4 bulbs on when you ran your high beams. But today's Jeeps only have the two HID bulbs on when your on the high beam. So not sure why the DOT would count this as 6 lights on. Back in the 70s when I did a lot of night driving, I had my fog lights on a relay so they would also come on with the high beams. But that was back when lights were controlled by mechanical switches and not by software. Now it would be nice if Jeep would let you program your lights, like my newest JD tractor that allows every light to be on in the "Field" position, which on mine is all 18 lights. But it does have a warning that says "Don't use this position when driving on a road". Al
__________________
2017 Velvet Red Summit with Siena Brown
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fog lights/driving lights for the push bar Chunderboy Visual Modifications 2 10-14-2013 09:16 AM
parking lights with fog lights on 99PlatinumWJ Interior/Exterior/Visual 9 11-23-2010 12:39 AM
*WTF* How do I get the lower valence off (clips by fog lights) CougarCruiser Grand Cherokee - WK 14 01-18-2010 10:36 PM
Bright lights on with the fog lights Knightrider03m Visual Modifications 20 11-14-2009 05:54 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.