Fog lights on with High Beams? - Page 3 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Interior/Exterior/Visual

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 03-23-2015, 01:37 PM
Raptor's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 783
Thanks: 7
Thanked 59 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 328571
Raptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fog lights on with High Beams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadTA View Post
I just want to say, first off, I definitely welcome the input you both bring. Hell, any input anybody brings. I think both of you are making some valid points, but in the end it is starting to sound like a "reprogram" is the proper way to do this.

What I don't understand is, why would fog lights with High Beams be illegal?

It is not the fog lights that "blind" oncoming traffic. It is the high beams. If it were the fogs, then they would blind oncoming traffic even with the just the low beams. Right?

My understanding on the reason for doing it this way is, you don't use your high beams in fog, so if your high beams are on, you must not be in fog and thus not need fog lights.
Happy to see someone can read..... glad to give you some incite as to your "issue".
Yes it is a OBDII StarScan coding or reprogramming issue.

If you could have your Jeep reprogrammed to allow the fogs and hi-beams to be hot simultaneously everything would operate as desired. Export model programming on the forward facing lights would do the trick!

The problem is most dealers will not do it for you here in the states, even if they had a tech who knew the procedure and sequence required to get it done. I tried to get them to do this as well as reprogramming the rear fogs I installed to "export mode" for independently operating rear fog lights. I obtained the export headlight switch that operated the front and rear fogs independent of each other and could run the extra wiring harness to do this, but couldn't get a dealer to flash the bus system to export mode for all this to work.

As to why this is "illegal", hard to say, in most places 4 forward facing lights illuminated at the same time are a No No?? Why??

Because some mindless government bureaucrat said so!

Because we can't be trusted to operate our vehicles in the dark safely without blinding oncoming traffic!

Because only police and emergency vehicles can be equipped to operate in low light no light conditions!

Because the d*ck cop who posted earlier in this thread said so!

Because we are not capable to make these life threatening lighting decisions for ourselves, only our government can make them for us!

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #26  
Old 03-23-2015, 02:46 PM
BuckeyeSRT's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Home of the Buckeyes
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 37
Thanked 47 Times in 35 Posts
Rep Power: 103701
BuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fog lights on with High Beams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Because the d*ck cop who posted earlier in this thread said so!
Is that really necessary?
I know "the last word" is pretty important to you but do you need to keep calling him that?
__________________
2012 BB Overland Summit
Like my company on Facebook ...please
https://www.facebook.com/TheSimmondsGroup
Twitter @simmondsgroup
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-23-2015, 03:07 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,997
Thanks: 73
Thanked 277 Times in 244 Posts
Rep Power: 46293
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fog lights on with High Beams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Yes.... Yes it is, (On most public roadways) and it's also illegal to exceed the speed limit?

What's your point? Do you fear the headlight/foglight police?
Even state patrol doesn't seem to care a lot, as I've had them flash lights at me while running on low beams with the fogs on, and once I flash to high, keep right on going.

Most states have limits on the number of lights you can have on the front at any given time... as it would only take a wiring diagram and a few jumpers to put driving lights on instead of fogs and those traditionally are wired to come on as optional with high beams.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-23-2015, 03:08 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,997
Thanks: 73
Thanked 277 Times in 244 Posts
Rep Power: 46293
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fog lights on with High Beams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDBones View Post
The point is that it's illegal. Illegal mods are not supposed to be discussed here.

I'm retired from law enforcement. Any more questions?
Just one.
Could you go back to it and leave us alone?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lstowell For This Useful Post:
  #29  
Old 03-23-2015, 03:11 PM
Raptor's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 783
Thanks: 7
Thanked 59 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 328571
Raptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fog lights on with High Beams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeSRT View Post
Is that really necessary?
I know "the last word" is pretty important to you but do you need to keep calling him that?
I don't need the last word..... if my posts are incorrect, please enlighten me & everyone else here!

Do you have anything of relevance to add to this discussion or are you here to "stir the pot"?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-23-2015, 03:14 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,997
Thanks: 73
Thanked 277 Times in 244 Posts
Rep Power: 46293
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fog lights on with High Beams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadTA View Post
I just want to say, first off, I definitely welcome the input you both bring. Hell, any input anybody brings. I think both of you are making some valid points, but in the end it is starting to sound like a "reprogram" is the proper way to do this.

What I don't understand is, why would fog lights with High Beams be illegal?

It is not the fog lights that "blind" oncoming traffic. It is the high beams. If it were the fogs, then they would blind oncoming traffic even with the just the low beams. Right?

My understanding on the reason for doing it this way is, you don't use your high beams in fog, so if your high beams are on, you must not be in fog and thus not need fog lights.
If you are expecting logic in motor vehicle lighting regs, boy are you too optimistic.
The USofA has long been in the dark ages of lighting from the days of replaceable [but illegal] bulb lights to artifacts of other equally antiquated rules.

Fogs with high beams, if proper fogs and high beams, can help in some driving conditions by showing you a bit better look at the driving surface [closer to your vehicle] than you'll get with a high beam. I've had this save my bohurkus a few times where there is spotty black ice.

However, before making such a mod, it would be good to check the particular state's regs. It MAY be legal, or not...
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-23-2015, 03:19 PM
Raptor's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 783
Thanks: 7
Thanked 59 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 328571
Raptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fog lights on with High Beams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstowell View Post
If you are expecting logic in motor vehicle lighting regs, boy are you too optimistic.
The USofA has long been in the dark ages of lighting from the days of replaceable [but illegal] bulb lights to artifacts of other equally antiquated rules.

Fogs with high beams, if proper fogs and high beams, can help in some driving conditions by showing you a bit better look at the driving surface [closer to your vehicle] than you'll get with a high beam. I've had this save my bohurkus a few times where there is spotty black ice.

However, before making such a mod, it would be good to check the particular state's regs. It MAY be legal, or not...
Yes that's true, but legal or not, better foreground lighting that may help you from ending up in a ditch or worse, especially when driving on hard to see black ice is worth breaking a ridiculous law to begin with! Even if the self appointed forum police don't see it that way.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-23-2015, 04:14 PM
nicjak's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: victoria
Posts: 865
Thanks: 48
Thanked 124 Times in 108 Posts
Rep Power: 3089
nicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fog lights on with High Beams?

Mate i know exactly what you are trying to do you called me out on using a switching circuit saying it wont work on a canbus system well my point was it does. Maybe you need to revisit that degree because i know i could achieve what you are wanting with a simple relay. Anyway im done you are obviously obnoctious and not prepared to listen. Good luck in figuring it all out.
__________________
2012, grand cherokee 5.7 overland.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-30-2015, 01:58 PM
Raptor's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 783
Thanks: 7
Thanked 59 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 328571
Raptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond reputeRaptor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fog lights on with High Beams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
Mate i know exactly what you are trying to do you called me out on using a switching circuit saying it wont work on a canbus system well my point was it does. Maybe you need to revisit that degree because i know i could achieve what you are wanting with a simple relay. Anyway im done you are obviously obnoctious and not prepared to listen. Good luck in figuring it all out.
Well mate, maybe if you read it somewhere else you might finally understand!

2011-2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Fog Light HID Conversion Kit

Posted below is a quote from the above site on why modern canbus electrical architecture systems that sense voltage and frequency can be a problem to mod electrically. When the Canbus system senses a signal it doesn't recognize or expect, problems may, and often do, occur! This example is for an HID lighting install on a Canbus equipped vehicle where regular halogen OEM lighting was before. Because the Canbus system will not recognize the different electrical signal required to power the HID's an error will occur and the HID's will not work as expected.

"CAN-BUS. Some vehicles have systems which sense the power consumption. Since HIDs use less power than factory halogen bulbs, this can cause issues. You can resolve this by adding capacitors, known as warning cancellers, or some ballasts come with them built-in. However, sometimes that's still not enough to trick the vehicle! To fix it, this ballast has an industry-leading CANBUS module, capable of smoothing PWM signals up to 100hz, and providing feedback to the vehicle to equalize the load, to defeat even the most troublesome modern CANBUS systems. Even if your vehicle does not use a CAN-BUS system, these modules will provide extra power smoothing for reliable operation."
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-01-2015, 12:46 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 152
Thanks: 18
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 1850
200sxr is on a distinguished road
Re: Fog lights on with High Beams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Export model programming on the forward facing lights would do the trick!
I live in AUS and I cannot have HB and fog on at the same time so same as the US model.
__________________
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines - Enzo Ferrari

MY14 GC Diesel
MY16 S3 Sedan
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-01-2015, 05:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 566
Thanks: 52
Thanked 104 Times in 71 Posts
Rep Power: 1353
farfromovin has a reputation beyond reputefarfromovin has a reputation beyond reputefarfromovin has a reputation beyond reputefarfromovin has a reputation beyond reputefarfromovin has a reputation beyond reputefarfromovin has a reputation beyond repute
Fog lights on with High Beams?

OP- if road conditions exist for you to use high beams then your fogs don't do a damn thing. Just don't use them unless it's foggy. They aren't pencil beamed driving lamps, they're fog lights.
__________________
'15 GC 4x4 Summit - GDE Hot Tune, Berger N54 ccv catch can, 4300k Philips HID fogs, VLED TRITON V3 LED brake lights
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-01-2015, 06:12 AM
nicjak's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: victoria
Posts: 865
Thanks: 48
Thanked 124 Times in 108 Posts
Rep Power: 3089
nicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fog lights on with High Beams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200sxr View Post
I live in AUS and I cannot have HB and fog on at the same time so same as the US model.
Not sure what model you have but my 2012 overland from factory runs fogs with high or low. Local manufactured cars ie holden switch the fogs off on highbeam.
__________________
2012, grand cherokee 5.7 overland.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Operating high beams together with fog lights? Scapie4 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 14 01-21-2015 11:07 PM
High beams with fog lights Directfreak Troubleshooting/Problems 5 09-16-2013 07:34 PM
High Beams and Low Beams Switched. donddon Troubleshooting/Problems 4 02-20-2013 06:45 PM
Way to turn all lights on with high beams Dstraw2011 Visual Modifications 5 09-18-2012 08:20 PM
Can I turn my high beams into another set of low beams? thex2 Grand Cherokee - WK 8 11-02-2010 10:58 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.