Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Interior/Exterior/Visual

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 12-16-2013, 06:11 AM
MoparKing's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 106
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 665
MoparKing is on a distinguished road
Front Turn Signal Running Lights

On my13 wk2 the front turn signal running lights are dual filament, i saw on another forum that a wk2 owner found that switching to a single filament Bulb could disable the turn signal running lights, so that they would only be on when you signal.

If anyone who knows better can chime in, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm about to buy some chrome single filament bulbs (the ambers are hideous) just to give it a shot.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-23-2013, 11:05 PM
Todd3.6's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 294
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 328709
Todd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Front Turn Signal Running Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparKing View Post
On my13 wk2 the front turn signal running lights are dual filament, i saw on another forum that a wk2 owner found that switching to a single filament Bulb could disable the turn signal running lights, so that they would only be on when you signal.

If anyone who knows better can chime in, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm about to buy some chrome single filament bulbs (the ambers are hideous) just to give it a shot.
Probably should check you local laws first...
Most states require marker lights in all directions (forward, rearward, and sides).
Although I've yet to see a REO (Revenue Enforcement Officer) stop someone for a simple 'fixit' ticket... Ever...

If you really don't want the front marker, why not just pull the wire/terminal out of the bulb plug and tape it off? The bulb is a 3057/3157 bulb, which means the socket will have three wires, 1 ground and 1 for each of the marker and turn signal circuits.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-23-2013, 11:26 PM
MoparKing's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 106
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 665
MoparKing is on a distinguished road
Re: Front Turn Signal Running Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd3.6 View Post
Probably should check you local laws first...
Most states require marker lights in all directions (forward, rearward, and sides).
Although I've yet to see a REO (Revenue Enforcement Officer) stop someone for a simple 'fixit' ticket... Ever...

If you really don't want the front marker, why not just pull the wire/terminal out of the bulb plug and tape it off? The bulb is a 3057/3157 bulb, which means the socket will have three wires, 1 ground and 1 for each of the marker and turn signal circuits.
I'm not sure if you know exactly what I mean. I want the parking lamps to not be On, while the head lights are on. I only want them to turn on when I use my turn signal. On our wk2s they are on all the time when your head lights are on. I got the single filament bulbs in the mail today, I'll install them soon and post up pictures.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-24-2013, 06:19 AM
MoparKing's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 106
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 665
MoparKing is on a distinguished road
Re: Front Turn Signal Running Lights

I made a new thread here for those that are interested. Mods can delete this thread if you want.

CHEAP Mod To Your Front Parking Lamps! (signals)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-24-2013, 08:55 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Keith Jack is on a distinguished road
Re: Front Turn Signal Running Lights

I think the point being made was that those are also the front side marker lights, not parking lights. People can see you from the side at night, know which way you are moving (amber is front, red is back), and so avoid hitting you...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-24-2013, 09:23 PM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,160
Thanks: 318
Thanked 345 Times in 301 Posts
Rep Power: 1801644
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Front Turn Signal Running Lights

I read these threads with interest. I see some mods like less chrome, more badges, no badges, etc. These are things you can see when the Jeep is parked in the driveway.

I don't understand why anyone would go to the trouble of changing lights that they can't see when they are driving the car anyway.

The people who will see it, folks in other cars, won't give a rats ass.

I have nothing against it, and wouldn't try to talk anyone out of it, I just don't get it.

But then I remember what my friend's wife always tells us ... There is something for everyone.

---
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...

... pull over to the side of the road!

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-25-2013, 12:05 AM
Todd3.6's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 294
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 328709
Todd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Front Turn Signal Running Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparKing View Post
I'm not sure if you know exactly what I mean. I want the parking lamps to not be On, while the head lights are on. I only want them to turn on when I use my turn signal. On our wk2s they are on all the time when your head lights are on. I got the single filament bulbs in the mail today, I'll install them soon and post up pictures.
I understand exactly what you mean.
Apparently you don't understand me.
Or perhaps you haven't worked on vehicle electrical systems before??? I've been working on cars since I was 16 including rebuilding engines and modifying electrical stuff (including stereo systems and lighting).

If you haven't worked on vehicle electrical systems then I would highly recommend you don't, especially with these CANBUS vehicles. You can really screw up the vehicle. I recall a teenager back in the mid-90s that was so proud that he installed his own stereo system, until he learned that he had also fried his transmission computer (and no that wasn't me).

First, I would like to correct my previous post. The front turn/marker lights are 7443 bulbs (not 3157).

Either way, they are dual filament bulbs, which means there are 3 wires going to the bulb. 1 ground, 1 park, and 1 turn.

All you would need to do is use a volt meter to figure out which lead is for the park circuit and using the correct tools, remove that lead from the bulb socket. VERY EASY.

And cheaper than buying different bulbs. That way you would still have amber front turn signals.

But again, you should check your local laws if you don't want to risk getting an equipment ticket from the local REOs.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-25-2013, 12:05 AM
MoparKing's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 106
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 665
MoparKing is on a distinguished road
Re: Front Turn Signal Running Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_de View Post
I read these threads with interest. I see some mods like less chrome, more badges, no badges, etc. These are things you can see when the Jeep is parked in the driveway.

I don't understand why anyone would go to the trouble of changing lights that they can't see when they are driving the car anyway.

The people who will see it, folks in other cars, won't give a rats ass.

I have nothing against it, and wouldn't try to talk anyone out of it, I just don't get it.

But then I remember what my friend's wife always tells us ... There is something for everyone.

---
I respect your opinion, and for the most part your right, but some times it's the little things that make your car/truck stand out and look great. I have 6K hids and yellow fog lights. With these Orange parking lamps it was too many colors going on. Blue yellow and orange don't mix. So this $12 mod was really worth it to me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-25-2013, 12:12 AM
MoparKing's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 106
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 665
MoparKing is on a distinguished road
Re: Front Turn Signal Running Lights

Todd3.6

Now that I re-read you first post, I thank you because you were right. I know that I could have kept my Amber bulb and modified it to work, but I didn't like the Amber color bulb in my headlight, and the chrome bulbs didn't cost much, so I didn't mind buying new bulbs.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to replace side marker (#194 turn signal) lights RochHam Technical Tips/DIY/How-To 8 03-06-2014 10:22 PM
2014 Front Right Turn Signal out Jackspat2 Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 0 04-20-2013 11:05 AM
PLEASE HELP! My brake lights and turn signal don't work sometimes. Whats going on? NikonKiem Troubleshooting/Problems 2 12-20-2011 12:36 AM
Accessory LED Turn signal/brake lights c_nall Visual Modifications 9 11-06-2010 05:00 AM
leds in front turn signal..need resistor? gc4x4 Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications 1 10-23-2010 01:17 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community