HID Install - '14 Altitude - Few Questions - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Interior/Exterior/Visual/Lighting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 09-04-2014, 10:32 PM
antsjeep's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,442
Thanks: 269
Thanked 263 Times in 228 Posts
Rep Power: 18701
antsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond repute
HID Install - '14 Altitude - Few Questions

I just wanted to clarify a few things with anyone who has installed an H11 HID kit on a '14 grand Cherokee with stock halogens.

On Order:
5K - 35watt HID kit, error code eliminators (x2) and relay harness (x1)

Relay Kit:
The relay kit I bought has two inputs on it, one for each of the factory H11 connectors. Do I really need to use both inputs? or can I get away with using only one? In my mind using one is should be enough being it is only used as a trigger signal for the 12v relay to switch the circuit on. Having two inputs doesn't seem right Thoughts??

Error code eliminators:
These will install on the stock H11 connector BEFORE I connect to my relay harness, correct? If I only use one input, instead of two (as stated above) will I still get an error code? Being there will be one H11 harness just sitting around not connected to anything? Or should I connect the second error code eliminator to the unused H11 harness so the car still sees a load on that side?

Sorry for the tech questions, just want to be extra careful with this whole CANBUS system in our rigs. I like to do things once and move on.

Below is a diagram I found on VLEDS site showing only ONE input connection... should I just order this harness instead? it looks way more robust compared to what I ordered.

#1 - VLEDS - Standard HID Relay Kit:
HD RELAY: H11/H9/H8 - HID Relay Harnesses - HID - Headlights

#2 - VLEDS - Mopar HID Relay Kit:
http://www.vleds.com/headlights/hid/...y-harness.html

Which relay kit would be best for this particular install? Let me hear your thoughts and feedback.

thanks,
Anthony
Attached Images
File Type: png relay harness.png (41.4 KB, 24 views)

__________________
2015 Altitude - Billet Silver
SRT Springs, Taillight Bezels, Red Start Button, Pedals & Grille Mesh, Black Lugs,
Mopar 4" Chrome exhaust tips, 1.25" Bora Wheel Spacers,
DDM 5500k HID,
Red LED 3157 Bulbs, 15% Tint, Polk DB Center Channel, Mopar All Weather Mats

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 23
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1091
MIKEG15 is on a distinguished road
Re: HID Install - '14 Altitude - Few Questions

get power hook up from the passengers side headlight. Drivers side gets power from the relay harness. Its pretty straight forward when you have the parts in front of you. I installed the same relay harness. The resistor is already inline so theres nothing to do except hook up power and grounds and than plug plug plug..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-05-2014, 11:54 AM
antsjeep's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,442
Thanks: 269
Thanked 263 Times in 228 Posts
Rep Power: 18701
antsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HID Install - '14 Altitude - Few Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEG15 View Post
get power hook up from the passengers side headlight. Drivers side gets power from the relay harness. Its pretty straight forward when you have the parts in front of you. I installed the same relay harness. The resistor is already inline so theres nothing to do except hook up power and grounds and than plug plug plug..
Ok thanks. I was just concerned about throwing a code/light being the driver side headlight harness will not be connected to anything.

Anyone else using the VLEDS Mopar relay kit?
__________________
2015 Altitude - Billet Silver
SRT Springs, Taillight Bezels, Red Start Button, Pedals & Grille Mesh, Black Lugs,
Mopar 4" Chrome exhaust tips, 1.25" Bora Wheel Spacers,
DDM 5500k HID,
Red LED 3157 Bulbs, 15% Tint, Polk DB Center Channel, Mopar All Weather Mats

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 09-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Jeep_addicted's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Thomas US. Virgin islands
Posts: 1,418
Thanks: 24
Thanked 138 Times in 102 Posts
Rep Power: 1333391
Jeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: HID Install - '14 Altitude - Few Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsjeep View Post
I just wanted to clarify a few things with anyone who has installed an H11 HID kit on a '14 grand Cherokee with stock halogens.

On Order:
5K - 35watt HID kit, error code eliminators (x2) and relay harness (x1)

Relay Kit:
The relay kit I bought has two inputs on it, one for each of the factory H11 connectors. Do I really need to use both inputs? or can I get away with using only one? In my mind using one is should be enough being it is only used as a trigger signal for the 12v relay to switch the circuit on. Having two inputs doesn't seem right Thoughts??

Error code eliminators:
These will install on the stock H11 connector BEFORE I connect to my relay harness, correct? If I only use one input, instead of two (as stated above) will I still get an error code? Being there will be one H11 harness just sitting around not connected to anything? Or should I connect the second error code eliminator to the unused H11 harness so the car still sees a load on that side?

Sorry for the tech questions, just want to be extra careful with this whole CANBUS system in our rigs. I like to do things once and move on.

Below is a diagram I found on VLEDS site showing only ONE input connection... should I just order this harness instead? it looks way more robust compared to what I ordered.

#1 - VLEDS - Standard HID Relay Kit:
HD RELAY: H11/H9/H8 - HID Relay Harnesses - HID - Headlights

#2 - VLEDS - Mopar HID Relay Kit:
MORIMOTO H11 H9 H8 DODGE MOPAR CAN-BUS RELAY HARNESS - HID Relay Harnesses - HID - Headlights

Which relay kit would be best for this particular install? Let me hear your thoughts and feedback.

thanks,
Anthony
That extra input may sounds weird post a pic ( that may be for a high beam)



A code will only be thrown if there is not resistance being read from (both/any) headlight connections.


You could skip the relay harness all together by doing the following.


Low beam plug (H11) connected to the input of the error eliminators.

Error eliminators out put connected to the input of the ballast.


On the WK2 there is no real need for a relay harness the electrical system essentially employs the same method as a relay harness.

The headlight circuit is powered through the TIPM (virtual relay) The TIPM gets powers directly from the battery. The CAN BUS system activates the relay so no need for an redundant harness.


So the headlight circuit is robust enough to power 35 watt ballast and even on start up.


So just using the error eliminators and the ballasts will meet your needs for the install, and speed up the install as well.
__________________
  • '12 Laredo X V6 Deep Cherry Dark/Mid Greystone, QT1
  • Outside: colormatched Altitude Grille, S Limited rear valance, Rear chrome trim Sharkfin, 20% tint, RFUK (built my own)
  • Inside: Alcantara steering wheel/shift knob,SRT dash trim, illuminated front scuff plates, stainless rear scuff plates, bright pedals, F/R footwell lights
  • Performance: OEM dual exhaust conversion, HD brakes, E-code SRT-8 projectors, JWS fogs
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeep_addicted For This Useful Post:
  #5  
Old 09-05-2014, 02:48 PM
antsjeep's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,442
Thanks: 269
Thanked 263 Times in 228 Posts
Rep Power: 18701
antsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HID Install - '14 Altitude - Few Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted View Post
That extra input may sounds weird post a pic ( that may be for a high beam)



A code will only be thrown if there is not resistance being read from (both/any) headlight connections.


You could skip the relay harness all together by doing the following.


Low beam plug (H11) connected to the input of the error eliminators.

Error eliminators out put connected to the input of the ballast.


On the WK2 there is no real need for a relay harness the electrical system essentially employs the same method as a relay harness.

The headlight circuit is powered through the TIPM (virtual relay) The TIPM gets powers directly from the battery. The CAN BUS system activates the relay so no need for an redundant harness.


So the headlight circuit is robust enough to power 35 watt ballast and even on start up.


So just using the error eliminators and the ballasts will meet your needs for the install, and speed up the install as well.
Thanks for your response, i really appreciate it and feel more comfortable about the whole error code eliminator thing.

I always would rather be a little overly cautious using a relay. What you said about the TIPM is very interesting. Maybe ill try it out and see how it goes without the relay and just make a game time decision as to use the relay or not.
__________________
2015 Altitude - Billet Silver
SRT Springs, Taillight Bezels, Red Start Button, Pedals & Grille Mesh, Black Lugs,
Mopar 4" Chrome exhaust tips, 1.25" Bora Wheel Spacers,
DDM 5500k HID,
Red LED 3157 Bulbs, 15% Tint, Polk DB Center Channel, Mopar All Weather Mats

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-05-2014, 03:47 PM
Jeep_addicted's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Thomas US. Virgin islands
Posts: 1,418
Thanks: 24
Thanked 138 Times in 102 Posts
Rep Power: 1333391
Jeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: HID Install - '14 Altitude - Few Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsjeep View Post
Thanks for your response, i really appreciate it and feel more comfortable about the whole error code eliminator thing.

I always would rather be a little overly cautious using a relay. What you said about the TIPM is very interesting. Maybe ill try it out and see how it goes without the relay and just make a game time decision as to use the relay or not.


The relay harness relay isn't needed.

Ask anyone that has used one of my headlight retrofit harnesses and they will tell you.

Its just the "y" adapter into the Error eliminator and the proprietary plug into the OEM headlight with no issues.


I am going TWO years with this set up and so are many others.
__________________
  • '12 Laredo X V6 Deep Cherry Dark/Mid Greystone, QT1
  • Outside: colormatched Altitude Grille, S Limited rear valance, Rear chrome trim Sharkfin, 20% tint, RFUK (built my own)
  • Inside: Alcantara steering wheel/shift knob,SRT dash trim, illuminated front scuff plates, stainless rear scuff plates, bright pedals, F/R footwell lights
  • Performance: OEM dual exhaust conversion, HD brakes, E-code SRT-8 projectors, JWS fogs
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-10-2014, 11:39 AM
antsjeep's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,442
Thanks: 269
Thanked 263 Times in 228 Posts
Rep Power: 18701
antsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HID Install - '14 Altitude - Few Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted View Post
The relay harness relay isn't needed.

Ask anyone that has used one of my headlight retrofit harnesses and they will tell you.

Its just the "y" adapter into the Error eliminator and the proprietary plug into the OEM headlight with no issues.


I am going TWO years with this set up and so are many others.
Little late response, but i wound up using a relay just for piece of mind.

I hid the relay harness under the stock harness that runs along the bumper support and tucked the Ballast's out of sight. The entire install is basically invisible now.
__________________
2015 Altitude - Billet Silver
SRT Springs, Taillight Bezels, Red Start Button, Pedals & Grille Mesh, Black Lugs,
Mopar 4" Chrome exhaust tips, 1.25" Bora Wheel Spacers,
DDM 5500k HID,
Red LED 3157 Bulbs, 15% Tint, Polk DB Center Channel, Mopar All Weather Mats

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude :: 2012 Jeep Altitude 2012-JGC.Altitude Member Garage Discussions 0 01-13-2013 08:36 PM
Maintenance! - Few Questions Fellas Chris Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion 7 11-29-2009 07:31 PM
A few Body questions yousmellfunnytoo Visual Modifications 6 11-23-2009 03:02 PM
A few technical questions... White WK Swagga Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion 5 07-30-2009 12:49 PM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.