Installing Self Stick Badges & Emblems Straight ?? - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Interior/Exterior/Visual

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 06-05-2015, 09:43 AM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,295
Thanks: 305
Thanked 221 Times in 164 Posts
Rep Power: 1929
billt is on a distinguished road
Installing Self Stick Badges & Emblems Straight ??

I purchased these 2 "HEMI" emblems a while back, and they finally arrived.

Red Hemi Metal Emblem for Dodge Mopar Chrysler Jeep RAM Decal Badge Stickers | eBay

Dodge RAM Hemi 5 7 Liter Chrome Red Emblem Nameplate Badge Logo New Mopar | eBay

I can't decide which one I want to use. I'm leaning toward the smaller red one. The other looks good, but it might look a bit out of place on a Grand Cherokee. It's going to go opposite the "LIMITED" emblem on the left side of the hatchback.

I know these things are simple to install. Basically just clean the surface with rubbing alcohol, "peel & stick". However, I want to employ the best method to get it straight, and at the same location height and length wise as the "LIMITED" emblem on the opposite side. These kinds of jobs are always easier than they look. You have just one shot to get it perfect.

I was thinking I could measure in from the side edge of the hatchback to locate it the same distance in as the "LIMITED" emblem. And also up from the step in the bumper. Then use a couple of pieces of blue Scotch Painters Tape as a setting template to get it parallel and even with the rear bumper step.

I'm thinking measuring off the rear step in order to get it level with the bumper would be more of a sure bet than screwing around with levels. I've used dual levels to mount the crosshairs straight on rifle scopes, and they never do come out perfect. You always have to fine tune them to get it right. With this I'm not going to have that luxury. Have any of you guys added a self stick emblem? If so what method did you use, and how did it go? Thanks in advance.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 06-05-2015, 10:53 AM
Todd3.6's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 797
Thanks: 3
Thanked 71 Times in 61 Posts
Rep Power: 350542
Todd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Installing Self Stick Badges & Emblems Straight ??

Painter's blue masking tape is your friend!

Use some clear Scotch type tape to temporarily place the emblem in different places to see where you really want it to be.

Then lay down blue tape just below where you want to stick the emblem. You can pull it off and re-stick it quite a bit to ensure you get it perfectly level.
You can even write on the tape with a pen/marker to set the side-to-side marks.

Then tape a yard stick over top of your tape, this will allow you to 'set' the emblem on the edge of the yard stick (or similar thin board) before you push it onto the vehicle to ensure you get it completely level and right where you want it.

Sounds like a lot of messing around, but if you want it to look good...
Take your time.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-05-2015, 10:54 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 14
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 603
tiggerfree is on a distinguished road
Re: Installing Self Stick Badges & Emblems Straight ??

Maybe this will help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeep-back.jpg (162.9 KB, 100 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-05-2015, 10:57 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2002 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northeast
Posts: 303
Thanks: 75
Thanked 47 Times in 39 Posts
Rep Power: 16870
Turbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond reputeTurbozcs2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Installing Self Stick Badges & Emblems Straight ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
I purchased these 2 "HEMI" emblems a while back, and they finally arrived.

Red Hemi Metal Emblem for Dodge Mopar Chrysler Jeep RAM Decal Badge Stickers | eBay

Dodge RAM Hemi 5 7 Liter Chrome Red Emblem Nameplate Badge Logo New Mopar | eBay

I can't decide which one I want to use. I'm leaning toward the smaller red one. The other looks good, but it might look a bit out of place on a Grand Cherokee. It's going to go opposite the "LIMITED" emblem on the left side of the hatchback.

I know these things are simple to install. Basically just clean the surface with rubbing alcohol, "peel & stick". However, I want to employ the best method to get it straight, and at the same location height and length wise as the "LIMITED" emblem on the opposite side. These kinds of jobs are always easier than they look. You have just one shot to get it perfect.

I was thinking I could measure in from the side edge of the hatchback to locate it the same distance in as the "LIMITED" emblem. And also up from the step in the bumper. Then use a couple of pieces of blue Scotch Painters Tape as a setting template to get it parallel and even with the rear bumper step.

I'm thinking measuring off the rear step in order to get it level with the bumper would be more of a sure bet than screwing around with levels. I've used dual levels to mount the crosshairs straight on rifle scopes, and they never do come out perfect. You always have to fine tune them to get it right. With this I'm not going to have that luxury. Have any of you guys added a self stick emblem? If so what method did you use, and how did it go? Thanks in advance.

I used the Hemi 5.7 Liter Badges, placed them on the doors under the Grand Cherokee badging. I referenced off the line on the Grand Cherokee badging and did the painters tape trick.

I also bought some red Trail Rated Badges and put them on the Fenders in factory location using same trick.

I may buy a "Quadra-Drive" badge (used on WJ's) and place it under the 4x4 badge on the hatch, note I do have QD2 so I ponied up the 700$ for it, guess I can display the badge.

Only other thing I was thinking of getting was Pixels Decals, has a "My Jeep Won the War, your Honda mows my Lawn" to piss off my SIL who thinks her CRV is the next coming of gods gift to the automotive world!
I would slap a Mall Rated decal on her CRV but somehow my wife probably wouldnt like that

My Jp Won A War / Your Honda Mows My Lawn Decal
__________________
2002 WJ Laredo 4.7 NV242 Inferno Red
2015 WK2 Overland 5.7 Hemi QD2 Deep Cherry Red
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-05-2015, 11:31 AM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,295
Thanks: 305
Thanked 221 Times in 164 Posts
Rep Power: 1929
billt is on a distinguished road
Re: Installing Self Stick Badges & Emblems Straight ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerfree View Post
Maybe this will help
tiggerfree,

My "5.7 LITER HEMI" emblem is flat, and I noticed the hatchback itself has a slight contour to it. Does the badge conform well? I was concerned the adhesive would eventually pull off on the ends. Yours looks nice by the way! I could put it right under the "LIMITED" emblem like you did under the "OVERLAND" badge.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-05-2015, 11:37 AM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,295
Thanks: 305
Thanked 221 Times in 164 Posts
Rep Power: 1929
billt is on a distinguished road
Re: Installing Self Stick Badges & Emblems Straight ??

Another thing, (I don't know if this means a hell of a lot), but the larger chrome, red, and black, "5.7 LITER HEMI" emblem came in original Mopar, Chrysler, Jeep bubble packaging from a dealer. The smaller red "HEMI" emblem came on the slow boat from China, and has no markings on the package at all. It's no doubt a Chinese copy. I'm concerned about the quality of the adhesive??? For all I know, it could be made from bug juice.


The paper backing on the adhesive on the small red badge could say "3M". It's cut between the lettering, so it's hard to tell. The smaller red emblem is heavier than the larger one, which I'm sure is plastic. I'm guessing the smaller one is red enameled die cast metal.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-05-2015, 11:42 AM
Todd3.6's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 797
Thanks: 3
Thanked 71 Times in 61 Posts
Rep Power: 350542
Todd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Installing Self Stick Badges & Emblems Straight ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerfree View Post
Maybe this will help
"Firefly/Serenity" fan I see!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Todd3.6's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 797
Thanks: 3
Thanked 71 Times in 61 Posts
Rep Power: 350542
Todd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Installing Self Stick Badges & Emblems Straight ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbozcs2003 View Post
Only other thing I was thinking of getting was Pixels Decals, has a "My Jeep Won the War, your Honda mows my Lawn" to piss off my SIL who thinks her CRV is the next coming of gods gift to the automotive world!
I would slap a Mall Rated decal on her CRV but somehow my wife probably wouldnt like that

My Jp Won A War / Your Honda Mows My Lawn Decal
I love it!
Might have to pick one up for myself!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-05-2015, 11:52 AM
Dan JGC's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,564
Thanks: 22
Thanked 200 Times in 150 Posts
Rep Power: 5737
Dan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Installing Self Stick Badges & Emblems Straight ??

Yep - take your time. I measured from the edges of the lift gate, not from the step thing. For symmetry, I measured the existing badge location on the opposite side and taped it out on the side where the new badge goes. If the new badge is not as long, then I'd center it to the opening you taped off (which matches the opposite side badge) instead of starting from the edge the same distance.

It is a bit tricky since nothing is straight or flat per se. Definitely then recommend taping in place with clear tape as mentioned above and taking a step back to verify it looks good.

Also, once I figured out exactly where I wanted it, I taped a thing piece of wood (or flexible ruler) to act as a ledge so I knew it would be placed exactly where I wanted it.

I probably spent 20 minutes the first time I laid it out. Then once I had done it before on my 2011, adding a badge to the 2014 was pretty quick.
__________________
||||||| 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 V8 in Bright White Clear Coat exterior with Grand Canyon Jeep Brown interior. |||||||
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-05-2015, 12:56 PM
Todd3.6's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 797
Thanks: 3
Thanked 71 Times in 61 Posts
Rep Power: 350542
Todd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Installing Self Stick Badges & Emblems Straight ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan JGC View Post
<clip>
Also, once I figured out exactly where I wanted it, I taped a thing piece of wood (or flexible ruler) to act as a ledge so I knew it would be placed exactly where I wanted it.
<clip>
This is the idea I was trying to convey with the 'yardstick' idea above, but probably didn't come across like I wanted it to.

Having that small ledge to be able to set the emblem on BEFORE it sticks to the panel is essential to making sure your emblem/badge is exactly where you want it. Trying to just stick it in place between some painters tape almost ensures you will get it crooked since Murphy's law states that you will flinch just as it contacts the surface and it will end up misaligned.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 14
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 603
tiggerfree is on a distinguished road
Re: Installing Self Stick Badges & Emblems Straight ??

The adhesive had a foam cushion to it... so even though the truck lid has a slight contour, I think it will hold up well

I had a 2011 that and I put it on the driver side trunk lid...(It was still on there after i sold it!)
but I think I like it better on the other side...
So far so good!

lol! yep VERY big Brown Coat fan lol!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-05-2015, 02:18 PM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,240
Thanks: 673
Thanked 927 Times in 738 Posts
Rep Power: 1804906
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Installing Self Stick Badges & Emblems Straight ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
Another thing, (I don't know if this means a hell of a lot), but the larger chrome, red, and black, "5.7 LITER HEMI" emblem came in original Mopar, Chrysler, Jeep bubble packaging from a dealer. The smaller red "HEMI" emblem came on the slow boat from China, and has no markings on the package at all. It's no doubt a Chinese copy. I'm concerned about the quality of the adhesive??? For all I know, it could be made from bug juice.


The paper backing on the adhesive on the small red badge could say "3M". It's cut between the lettering, so it's hard to tell. The smaller red emblem is heavier than the larger one, which I'm sure is plastic. I'm guessing the smaller one is red enameled die cast metal.
Did the one in the Mopar packaging say where it was made?


---
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...
... pull over to the side of the road!

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bill_de For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2007 Self Shifting Into 4WLow & 4WNeutral jeeper999 Troubleshooting/Problems 4 01-14-2015 07:13 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.