Ok here is the deal.
Washable stainless steel filter is nearly a go. I am making some modifications trying to get a tighter mesh. I just washed out my filter after 3 months of use. Good news is that it seems to be filtering about as well as I expected. Meaning that a little filtration would be given up for the convenience of being washable. There is definitely dirt in the bottom of my sink and a fair amount for the type of driving my WK2 does mostly, Highway. Now from my experience on large HVAC units that run constantly, these filters will trap a lot of dirt before they even come close to "clogging". They also work better the dirtier they get, so it is probably not out of the question that they can be washed as little as yearly. Obviously If you live on a dirt road you still might want to wash it quarterly.
I currently have an idea to add odor filtration to the washable filter. I have just installed it on my WK2 today and will see what the results are. For those of you testing my product, I am sure you have noticed that there is a slight gap across the top of the stainless filter and the filter box. Come to find out, I can order a 1/4 inch carbon impregnated filter pad. This pad fills the gap perfectly. In its current state the carbon filter would be attached to the metal frame via the hook portion of hook and loop tape. This allows easy replacement, as the active carbon would last at most 3 months (This is actually based on some pretty sound research). As it will last up-to 3 months that is not to say that in certain situations it will last longer and in others it will last less.
Think of it as baking soda in your fridge or freezer. If all you have in your Fridge or freezer is a bunch of fruits and vegetables and packaged goods, the ole Arm and Hammer is going to last a long time. If you are like me in my single days and have a month of left over Chinese food in your fridge the Arm and Hammer is going to give up very quickly.
Now, I am in development on a Hybrid stainless, active carbon filter. So we may come up with a different version of what we have now. same principle though, a washable filter with a changeable Active Carbon filter.
I am also have the oportunity to manufacture some polly fill active carbon filters or pleated carbon filters. These will need to be replaced completley. They are disposable and not washable. They will be less than the washable filter but more than the 1/4 in replaceble filters for the Washable filter.
A couple of notes about pricing and shipping
1) These are made in the USA from materials made in the USA and Abroad.
2) They are made in a small manufacturing facility here in Denver. This means I have the ability to order them in small lots. However, I can not order them in onesies and twosies there will be a minimum 10 orders made before they will produce them.
3) All products will be mailed USPS and shipping will be included to all 48 contiguous states (Sorry Alaska and Hawaii you know the deal)
4) All international shipments will have the difference between US shipping and the international shipping added to the price. ( I hate to shoot myself in the foot, but it probably isn't worth it to you to have it shipped, Not that I won't do it I'm just saying)
5) All orders will be filled on Fridays and shipped according to turn around time at the manufacturer. We haven't sorted that out yet. Obviously, if people really like these and they take off, we will start producing a stock pile so that I can ship them faster. I just don't want there to be any misconceptions of like 2 day turn around from order to delivery. It will probably be more like 2 weeks in the beginning.
Pre lim pricing
Stainless Steel Is going to be shipped at $35.00 USD
Stainless Steel With Four active Carbon Sheets would be shipped at $49.00 US
Active Carbon Replacement pads would $6.00 per pad minimum 4 pad order Plus shipping for now (SHIPPING WOULD VARY BASED ON QUANTITY ORDERED DUE TO SIZE CONSTRAINTS. I really don't know how many I can stuff in a $5.30 envelope) So an order of 4 would go for about $29.30 USD
1" Polly Carbon filter would go for $11.00 USD plus Shipping
1" Pleated Carbon Filter would go for $15.00 USD plus Shipping (again shipping would very based on quantity shipped.
THESE ARE NOT FOR SALE YET
This is just to get the info out there. The shipping rates my come down if I feel that the filters will survive in a bubble envelope. In reality if I can ship them in envelopes as opposed to boxes I can drop about $5.75 USD off of the shipping price.
Before I can sell a few things have to happen on my end.
The first and foremost I have to get My Vendor Application in. I love this website, it has helped me out a lot, and in no way do I want to short jeepgarage.org
of any monetary support. Once that happens I will see about getting these threads moved over to that area. I'll have to ask Scott if that's possible since I didn't start the tread.
Second I have to get a way to take payment. Most likely it will be Paypal to begin with.
The rest..... well, I'll wory about the rest.
Oh... and as soon as my wife comes back with the car I'll take some pictures of the different kinds of filters and post them.
Thanks for staying interested. The wait is almost over.